are you willing to go to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2011, 01:34 AM
RE: are you willing to go to church?
(10-03-2011 01:25 AM)Godless Wrote:  I attended tons of services as a kid but last time I attended one as an adult I stood up in the middle of the homily and gave the priest an exact list of reasons why he was dead wrong and what damage casti connubi has caused.

I stormed out of the church and never came back. I can guarantee you however that got at least some people seriously thinking of the condom issue.

That would have been extra awesome if it had been caught on video.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 01:42 AM

No I would not go to church.
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 03:00 AM
It would have to be a very special event for somebody I care very deeply about. Or a funeral. Other than that I just do not see myself attending church willingly. I have been curious what it would be like to attend a church as an atheist but feel it would likely be a waste of time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
(10-03-2011 12:09 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  On another note, which videos would you pick?

Look for Evid3nc3's video series.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't mind going to church. I went once last year, it was a very odd service to me. I was raised catholic, so I'm used to sit down, stand, kneel, chant, kneel, stand, sit, stand, sit, etc etc. This service I saw last year had joyous singing and some dude in the corner painting an interpretation of the homily. For someone coming from a somber catholic idea of church service, it might as well have been a party, with everyone happy to be there.
As for participating as if I weren't an atheist, no, this is where I draw the line. I will not pray, sing, kneel or any of that crap. Kneeling in church is a serious form of submission, and I haven't met anyone yet worth submitting to on that level. Although I don't mind shaking peoples hand and saying peace be with you. I just hope that I can provide a better example of peace than they are used to Wink And would I go to church as part of a deal to further/invite religious conversation, especially exposing people to the views of an atheist? Hells yes I would! Church ain't going to kill me! And I did a lot of my thinking before becoming atheist while I was in church for crying out loud.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
My wife and I joined a synagogue at one point and we took our kids to Friday night family services a few times. We did it solely for the social aspect of it.

It took a year before I decided I didn't feel like being social with these people and quit, but I get it a shot. But, I've got no problem with going to a house of worship, I don't begrudge people who belong to them, and I'm generally not looking for a fight once I'm inside.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-03-2011, 02:05 PM
I belong to a church and go semi-regularly with my family. My wife sometimes goes without me.

It's more a social thing as many friends go there so we get to chat, and go out to breakfast afterwards.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
11-03-2011, 06:11 PM

No. Not for anything other than a wedding. My wife and mother are Christian, and I won't go to Easter or Christmas services with them. I talked my wife OUT of having our wedding in a church, and if we have a boy, I will not allow our child to be circumcised or baptized until he is old enough to make that decision for himself (I'll pay for the circumcision if he wants it, but I won't inflict it on a child.)
13-03-2011, 02:42 AM

Actually, I think I stopped going to church because
1) I memorized the whole mass by 6th grade
2) I didn't feel that God considered worship more important than being faithful the other 6.95 days out of 7

Eventually, I realized all the Christians were purposfully not following 90% of Jesus Christ's teachings, they were all Capitalists afterall. So, I had a 3rd reason not to go... don't want to mix with hyprocites.
14-03-2011, 02:00 AM

Why go to an empty building filled with a book that nobody reads..
(Iceland no one goes to church, but I think almost everyone in the UK or USA don't really read their holy book)