atheism and facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 08:01 AM
atheism and facebook
I have many theist friends and family members on facebook. I get religious news feeds all the time thanking god for everything from sunrises to transferance of disease from sick babies to moms. (gross, i know) However, then i post an atheist meme, or counteract a religious post, I am destroyed. How do you guys handle the hyprocisy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 08:12 AM
RE: atheism and facebook
I try to avoid putting down their views in the first place if it is someone who I value. Close friends and family members seem to look down on you and even pity you when you let them know you are atheist. It's crazy, but they are so deep into their faith that they cannot fathom your way of thinking. I have posted atheist quotes on Facebook and encountered a few people that talked shit. The only response I have really used is to tell them that I did not bad mouth their posts about "like in 2 seconds if you love god" or some bullshit like that, so they had no need to comment on disagreeing with my status. If you don't like something I put on Facebook, delete me...simple as that. I have over 3,000 friends on Facebook and as far as I know only about 100 of them are atheists. I'm not going to hide who I am or sugar coat anything, but I think it is respectful to not bash their posts if I do not want them bashing mine.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
24-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I try not to bash, and always attempt to be respectful. It is very troubling when i see shit like "god heard my prayers to take away my sons cold and give it to me" no thats called an immune system, he fought it off, and becuase you were in his face he gave it to you. i didn't reply to it, but that kind of moronic stuff permeates my wall. it makes my head hurt.
24-03-2013, 08:25 AM
(24-03-2013 08:18 AM)scotchfish Wrote:  I try not to bash, and always attempt to be respectful. It is very troubling when i see shit like "god heard my prayers to take away my sons cold and give it to me" no thats called an immune system, he fought it off, and becuase you were in his face he gave it to you. i didn't reply to it, but that kind of moronic stuff permeates my wall. it makes my head hurt.
If you think Facebook is bad, check out Twitter. #PraiseTheLord....here's what I found

Got some new shoes-on clearance #PraiseTheLord

Someone snutck into Biebers bathroom and took a pic #PraiseTheLord

I assume the word above should be snuck....but who comes up with this shit?? Bieber took a shower and got photographed, surely the lord wanted stupid 12 year old girls to see his junk....good job Jesus. Forget those starving kids and all the crazy going on, little Julie needs to see a naked Bieber. People are crazy, and I think a lot of times they just need something new to say.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
24-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Hover over the persons name.
A pop up box will appear. In that box it will contain [Friends] [Message]
Hover over the [Friends] box and another options box will pop up.
Click on settings
Under "See which updates"
Click on "Only Important"

You will never again see all that religious crap from your family or friends and you'll still be friends with them on fb without all the drama.
When you want to find out what is happening with any particular family member or friend, you can simply click on their page to read their status updates when you want, instead of having that constant feed of bullshit thrown in your face on the daily.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
24-03-2013, 09:31 AM
(24-03-2013 09:26 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Hover over the persons name.
A pop up box will appear. In that box it will contain [Friends] [Message]
Hover over the [Friends] box and another options box will pop up.
Click on settings
Under "See which updates"
Click on "Only Important"

You will never again see all that religious crap from your family or friends and you'll still be friends with them on fb without all the drama.
When you want to find out what is happening with any particular family member or friend, you can simply click on their page to read their status updates when you want, instead of having that constant feed of bullshit thrown in your face on the daily.
Yeah that's an option, but I have over 3000 fb friends. I don't care what all of them have to say, but it would be tedious to pick and choose whose stuff to see. Most of them are people I work with or went to college with and it seems like once one person shares some stupid religious pic, they all share the same dumb thing. On the other hand, I do get the occasional joy of reading a comment under one of them where somebody lets them know that it is bullshit Tongue

24-03-2013, 09:33 AM
does anyone find the hypocrisy of relgious memes irritating? again, i see lots of these via my friends and family, and will change settings now that i know how (thanks!) but when you post an atheist one, they jump down your throat. i just wish there was more equity in posts.
24-03-2013, 09:36 AM
(24-03-2013 09:33 AM)scotchfish Wrote:  does anyone find the hypocrisy of relgious memes irritating? again, i see lots of these via my friends and family, and will change settings now that i know how (thanks!) but when you post an atheist one, they jump down your throat. i just wish there was more equity in posts.
The atheism ones piss them off the same way their religious ones piss you off. The difference is that if they speak up about yours, the majority of people that see it will side with them. But if you speak up, most people will be offended by it. Welcome to the minority. It doesn't get easier, but at least you have knowledge rather than some bullshit faith to rely on.

24-03-2013, 09:55 AM
(24-03-2013 09:31 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  ... but I have over 3000 fb friends....

Well, that's the problem right there. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-03-2013, 10:01 AM
How to solve that problem? By having no religious friends and family? That's how I do it. Big Grin

Oh, and by having like 30 fb friends. The rest of my wall is Gwynnies (of course) and atheist snark. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user