atheism and facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: atheism and facebook
(24-03-2013 09:31 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  Yeah that's an option, but I have over 3000 fb friends.

Remove 10 fb friends a day until you are down to say 200 of your closest friends & family.
I have a grand total of 60 people on fb. I would be hard pressed to find 3000 people that know my first name, let alone people that I call friend.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Re: atheism and facebook
I have on Facebook that I'm atheist. It caused a bit of an uproar. I had posted a pic of myself at an anti protest against the WBC. The sign said "how can God gate gay people if he made the rainbow"
That picture sparked the longest debate under a picture I've ever seen. It fueled a 3 month debate about religion and you all probably know the rest. But now my family just doesn't say anything and it's actually started some questions about "how gay people actually are". Only from one family member though. It's a start.
24-03-2013, 11:06 AM
(24-03-2013 09:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 09:31 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  ... but I have over 3000 fb friends....

Well, that's the problem right there. Drinking Beverage
Why is that a problem? They are all people I know. I work for a large company, am very involved in my alumni association, run the PTA and I've met a lot of people along the way. I'm not the one that posted about the religious posts being annoying, I was just stating why ignoring them one by one was not going to happen. I just scroll past what I don't want to see, no problem.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
24-03-2013, 11:09 AM
(24-03-2013 10:13 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 09:31 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  Yeah that's an option, but I have over 3000 fb friends.

Remove 10 fb friends a day until you are down to say 200 of your closest friends & family.
I have a grand total of 60 people on fb. I would be hard pressed to find 3000 people that know my first name, let alone people that I call friend.
I have more than 60 people in my family....limiting my fb to 200 people would be impossible. There were 1200 people at my wedding--all of them are on my facebook and are dear friends. However, back to the topic at hand. All of these people know I am an atheist, but not all of them support my position. To maintain our connections, we simply don't talk about it. I did have a friend on facebook once post a religious photo and tag me in it. Not too big of a deal, but I felt like that was an invite to comment on the post with my opinions about religion. Other than that, I stay out of it.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
24-03-2013, 03:02 PM
3000? wow.....You need to look up Dunbar's law.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
24-03-2013, 03:28 PM
(24-03-2013 09:33 AM)scotchfish Wrote:  does anyone find the hypocrisy of relgious memes irritating? again, i see lots of these via my friends and family, and will change settings now that i know how (thanks!) but when you post an atheist one, they jump down your throat. i just wish there was more equity in posts.
Yes. Very.
You won't find any equity with the majority of the brainwashed.
Cut them off, hang out with only like minded people and the few who can hold a different opinion without douchebaggery.
Ignore the rest as best you can.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-03-2013, 05:51 AM
I wake up this morning to this message in my Facebook inbox....really?? As if posting your bullshit isn't enough, you feel the need to send it to me personally?

Today marks a huge day in the history of America. Today, the Supreme Court will decide a case that could potentially legalize same-sex marriage in America. I have a few thoughts on it...

I have noticed that several students have posted Facebook statues and tweets about their support of same sex marriage. The weird thing is that most of these statuses/tweets begin with, “Yes I am a Christian, but…” After claiming the name of Christ, the argument usually goes along the lines of, “Why can’t two people love each other regardless of gender? That isn’t fair!” As your Student Minister, this deeply disturbs me. Allow me a few paragraphs to explain why.

As a Christian, we hold The Bible to be the source of our authority and truth (2Tim 3:16-17). If this is the case, then we must submit ourselves under its word, because it is the word of God! Since this is the case, there are several implications that must be considered: If God says that something is good, then it must be good. If God says something is bad, then it must be bad. That is an easy enough concept to grasp.

Lets take murder for example. Exodus 20:13 and Mark 10:19 both affirm the Bibles position on murder: bad. What does that mean? Christians shouldn’t murder! Same thing goes for lying. Mark 10:19 also condemns lying. What does that mean? Christians should not lie!
Ok, so that was easy enough. So what the Bible say about same-sex marriage? Well, first, we have to know what the Bible says about marriage. Genesis 2:22-24, Proverbs 18:22, Matt 19:4-6 and Hebrews 13:4-7 are just some of the verses that lay out what marriage should be. When we read those verses, we learn a few things:

Marriage was created, and instituted by God
Marriage has always been between a Man and a Woman
Marriage provides roles but not value. Because the man is called to lead, and the woman to serve, does not mean that he is better than the woman. Men serve woman by being a gracious leader, and women lead men in humility and service. It’s a two way street.
Marriage is to point the married couple to Christ and his redemption of his people. Just as a man and a woman come together to be one, we are one with Christ in salvation.

Ok, so we have a basic understanding of marriage, what does the Bible say about same-sex relations? Leviticus 18:22, Romans 1:12-32, Jude 7 and many other scriptures are very clear: God does not like same-sex relations. But why?

It deviates from what God instituted: Man and Woman
It destroys gender roles. Men are to lead, and woman are to help. In same-sex relations, somebody is not performing their gender role
It cannot point us to the union we have with Christ. We are described as the bride of Christ. He leads his church (Col 2:18-20) and we serve him as Lord.
If we deny what the Bible lays out as truth and authoritative on the subject of what is sin (such as the debate of whether or not homosexuality is a sin) then we open the floodgates of interpretation. If I can deny that being gay is a sin, then I can deny that lying is a sin. I can deny that cheating on Tabitha is a sin. I can deny that Jesus is not apart of the Trinity. I can deny the existence of Hell. I can believe whatever I want.

Students, it is a dangerous thing to say that same-sex relations is not a sin. I am tasked to help develop you into mature and fully devoted followers of Christ. Please, do not give in to a lost and dying world trying to tell you that sin is not sin. It is just an attempt of the Devil to try to drag you down with the ship. I urge you to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to discern the truth of what I am writing, so that you may not fall into the hands of The Deceiver. Remember the words of Psalms 19:18 “…the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.”

Students, I love y’all. If any of you have questions, please text me, inbox me, or talk to me Wednesday.

In Christ,
Jake

27-03-2013, 06:05 AM
(27-03-2013 05:51 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I wake up this morning to this message in my Facebook inbox....really?? As if posting your bullshit isn't enough, you feel the need to send it to me personally?

Oh wow!

I might just start a FB account if that's the type of stuff one gets.

You could really have a field day with that little lot.

I think for entree, I'd counter with all the murders in that 'good' book of which their god is in favour and then I have a main course of Divine Command Theory / Euthyphro.

I would probably have a dessert regarding the Catholic Church's take over (probably for financial gain) of the institution of marriage.

Why not indulge yourself.

Great fun.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-03-2013, 09:36 AM
(27-03-2013 06:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 05:51 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I wake up this morning to this message in my Facebook inbox....really?? As if posting your bullshit isn't enough, you feel the need to send it to me personally?

Oh wow!

I think for entree, I'd counter with all the murders in that 'good' book of which their god is in favour and then I have a main course of Divine Command Theory / Euthyphro.

I would probably have a dessert regarding the Catholic Church's take over (probably for financial gain) of the institution of marriage.

Why not indulge yourself.

Great fun.

I've been having fun with it all day. But no matter what I say about how not everyone is Christian and we shouldn't be ruled by the hypocrisy of the bible, this dude doesn't get it. It really is a shame.

27-03-2013, 09:55 AM
(27-03-2013 06:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Oh wow!

If by "have a field day," you mean, "puncture my eyeballs with needles," then, sure...

It would be one thing if their idea of communicating was to, you know, communicate... or if it was like Halo, where you could just shoot 'em.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user