atheism and theism themselves

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
RE: atheism and theism themselves
(01-03-2014 03:49 PM)dreamwalker777 Wrote:  Hear ye!Hear ye, thou hast come unto thy to defeat atheists and theists alike,so i will tell you one thing:one asks as the other will answer,so this thread is about why you are an atheist which is why you good sir/madam will have to consider yourself an excellent man/woman of argument trying to convince the very elite in this so called debate.

Hello Dreamwalker. I came to my atheism after a rational and honest look at the best available evidence and the best arguments for the existence of God that have been presented. Every argument so far has been refuted or shown to be incomplete and they all require a person to suspend logic and critical thinking and rest on a willingness to accept glaring fallacies. All the evidence I have ever been shown is only evidence if you assume that there is a God. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong in not believing. There could be evidence that I haven't seen or a valid argument that I haven't seen.

As for what evidence would convince me that there is a god, if it did any of the things it is purported to be able to do under laboratory conditions and in such a way that it could be verified, then I would believe. If God came down and appeared before me and spoke to me and also left behind some physical evidence, then I would believe.

Are you, as a believer, willing to admit that your belief in God could be wrong? Is there any evidence that would convince you that God doesn't exist or at least would cause you to doubt?

On a side note, what's it like having an IQ of 160?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 07:18 PM
(01-03-2014 07:04 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 03:49 PM)dreamwalker777 Wrote:  Hear ye!Hear ye, thou hast come unto thy to defeat atheists and theists alike,so i will tell you one thing:one asks as the other will answer,so this thread is about why you are an atheist which is why you good sir/madam will have to consider yourself an excellent man/woman of argument trying to convince the very elite in this so called debate.

Hello Dreamwalker. I came to my atheism after a rational and honest look at the best available evidence and the best arguments for the existence of God that have been presented. Every argument so far has been refuted or shown to be incomplete and they all require a person to suspend logic and critical thinking and rest on a willingness to accept glaring fallacies. All the evidence I have ever been shown is only evidence if you assume that there is a God. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong in not believing. There could be evidence that I haven't seen or a valid argument that I haven't seen.

As for what evidence would convince me that there is a god, if it did any of the things it is purported to be able to do under laboratory conditions and in such a way that it could be verified, then I would believe. If God came down and appeared before me and spoke to me and also left behind some physical evidence, then I would believe.

Are you, as a believer, willing to admit that your belief in God could be wrong? Is there any evidence that would convince you that God doesn't exist or at least would cause you to doubt?

On a side note, what's it like having an IQ of 160?

If it is anything like 185 it is kind of lonely. Most people can't relate to you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
(01-03-2014 05:24 PM)dreamwalker777 Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 05:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am an agnostic atheist. I see no evidence for any gods. I see a lot of evidence against the gods of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.

For those reasons, I believe it vastly more probable that those gods do not exist.

so a third player comes, so far what have you agreed upon with yourself? what is the evidence you seek in gods existing
take this as a note to yourself, the three religions sited above all have one God, just different beliefs, thus the name "the three heavenly reigions"

What does "so far what have you agreed upon with yourself?" mean? What are you asking?

Those three religions have different concepts of god, so they are not actually 'the same god'.

Given the attributes of any one them, that god is not possible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I arrived at My current worldview of agnostic atheist (strong agnostic, weak atheist) as a result of two realizations:
  1. I can't think of any possible way to determine if a god-like being is a genuine god or just a talented natural being with superhuman powers.
  2. I realized that if on the witness stand in a court of law, I would not be able to state with a clear conscience "Yes, the gods are real."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 08:56 PM by true scotsman.)
(01-03-2014 06:22 PM)dreamwalker777 Wrote:  the bible is more poetry my dear man more poetry than facts and statements, more symbols to real life, more examples than actual things, it is mostly a lesson to humanity, only around 1% literal, almost never to be taken as something that actually happened

If it can't be taken literally then what use is it in coming to true knowledge of the world. If it can't be taken literally then how is it any different than any other book of poetry and myths?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
01-03-2014, 08:09 PM

[Image: 43710663d7e237a9ce9bd9fb6878dd21ed73a86d...9b0265.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
(01-03-2014 07:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 07:04 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  On a side note, what's it like having an IQ of 160?

If it is anything like 185 it is kind of lonely. Most people can't relate to you.

Yeah, I kind of figured it would be. Is that your IQ Revenant? 185?

01-03-2014, 08:28 PM
(01-03-2014 08:27 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 07:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If it is anything like 185 it is kind of lonely. Most people can't relate to you.

Yeah, I kind of figured it would be. Is that your IQ Revenant? 185?

Yup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-03-2014, 08:29 PM
(01-03-2014 04:36 PM)dreamwalker777 Wrote:  that does not matter at all my sophisticated repliers, i for one would like to pass to the thread, i'm just curious at people's reasons for becoming/being atheists

Why is that? You were born an atheist and regarding, say, ancient Greek or roman mythology, or perhaps Hinduism or Buddhism, you might be an "atheist yourself.
Quote:,and at some points I would like to argue,

Why would you want to argue? Can't we all just get along?

Quote: what do you say we start, or shall i remove the entire thread

If you are just here to "argue" -- troll, actually, you might as well save yourself a whole lot of wasted time and leave now. Just saying.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
(01-03-2014 08:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 08:27 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Yeah, I kind of figured it would be. Is that your IQ Revenant? 185?

Yup

Hoots Man!!