atheism for me
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: atheism for me
I know others are going to jump on this, but let me say it too. Abandoning religion doesn't necessarily mean abandoning all morality shared with religion. I don't think you said this, but it's a lie that gets turned on us a lot by the religious, and someone picking apart your post and looking to find the worst could come away with that message.

A radical shift in one's view of the world can be very cathartic, and that heady sensation (while otherwise lovely) can occasionally lead one down false paths.

If you want to make fertility your purpose, that's up to you. (I'd recommend reading up on issues surrounding overpopulation, though.) I've got no beef with what informed, consenting adults do together (or even what informed, consenting teenagers do together), and if you're happy doing it, that's great. But it's not so much a consequence of atheism as it's a consequence of not subscribing to the narrow, restrictive religions. Personally, I find the freedom of thought much more liberating than the freedom of action.

I'd also suggest a bit of caution regarding indo-european heritage. Being a history buff's cool, and having a sense of identity is cool too. But movements to exalt in racial identity by the dominant "race" (be it by population, economics, or political power) have lead to some of the worst atrocities in history, and that should be a caution to anyone. In particular, ask yourself if you'd treat someone of a different ancestry any worse than you'd treat someone of your own ancestry. If so, that's a big clue that any positive benefits you're getting are being offset by serious negative consequences for others. And again, it's not a necessary consequence of atheism.

Otherwise? I'm glad you're free. Enjoy it!

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 06:39 AM
RE: atheism for me
Atheists have morals too. The idea that we do not is a huge misconception.

How is being fertile inherently better? It's expensive. I only have one kid who will go to college in a couple of years and yikes! Also I don't understand your statement about Christianity being girlie since men mostly control it. Been hitting the Nietschze again?

Godless in the Magnolia State
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply