atheism in the middle of a theistic life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 06:30 AM
atheism in the middle of a theistic life
So, I'm embracing my new found mental freedom. I'm beginning to see what a big wide world it is and how exciting and free life can be. I'm starting to shed the nagging feeling that god is mad at me and wants to send me to hell for daring to question the status quo.

But I'm the only flesh and blood human I know who is on this particular road. Friends, family, everyone else is still a worshipper. The few I have shared this with are clearly under the impression I'm a hell bound lunatic at worst and at the very least, I'm speaking another language.

Has anyone else experienced this sense of isolation?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Eruvande's post
18-11-2013, 06:37 AM
RE: atheism in the middle of a theistic life
Welcome to the order of hellbound lunatics! Evil_monster

You'll find most of us have been there or still are.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Same problem here. Just blend in and don't worry about it. You will be hard pressed to convince a believer of your new found logic. Actually if you push your views on others they will shun you and you will have unnecessary problems. I simply laugh at their delusional views. I typically won't discuss religion with others unless someone makes a ridiculous claim and I can't resist poking holes in it.
There is no need in feeling isolated though. You are no more alone now than you were before.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
18-11-2013, 09:57 AM
(18-11-2013 06:30 AM)Eruvande Wrote:  So, I'm embracing my new found mental freedom. I'm beginning to see what a big wide world it is and how exciting and free life can be. I'm starting to shed the nagging feeling that god is mad at me and wants to send me to hell for daring to question the status quo.

But I'm the only flesh and blood human I know who is on this particular road. Friends, family, everyone else is still a worshipper. The few I have shared this with are clearly under the impression I'm a hell bound lunatic at worst and at the very least, I'm speaking another language.

Has anyone else experienced this sense of isolation?

Welcome...and in response to your question; only those of us who've rejected our religious former philosophies can understand the sense of isolation.
I still get a very momentary weird feeling when hearing god/jesus' name used in an epithet.
Weird!
But then, catholic brainwashing is very very skillful and agonizingly persistent.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
07-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Sorry I wish I could say how awesome it will be but am right in themiddle ofcoming out. I doknow how it is,I have no atheists around that I know. I have been slowly telling people and have been getting a variety of reactions I am hoping I will still have friends, but maybe I won't. I guess its better to be honest. But yes so alone if I didn't have a forum
like this it would suck. Hang in there.
[+] 1 user Likes DeeSK's post
09-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Nope, I'm another flesh and blood human who is going through a similar situation. Recently deconverted, still shrugging off those nagging doubts and prods from 21 years of indoctrination.

I'm definitely enjoying how my tolerance of the world and the people in it has drastically improved since I'm no longer operating on an internalized bias provided by the loving word of god.

However, my entire family is theistic. ALL OF THEM. Parents, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, and all of the cousins I know on both my mom and dad's side, and all of them are pretty conservative and some are close to being fanatics.

I just don't act like a big change has occurred. Honestly, it does me no good to tell them, and it doesn't hurt me to keep it to myself. I can force out a prayer if I'm asked to, and grin and bear it to sit through a Christmas service. Honestly, I don't want my family to know, since, as Christians, they would SINCERELY BELIEVE that I'm going to Hell, and I don't want my parents worrying about that.

I still love 'em, even if I'm now at odds with them on the religion thing.
[+] 2 users Like Jasozz's post
09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Have you tried using Meetup.com to find groups that might help? I was able to find several atheist groups.
22-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Cool, cool cool cool. I've been there just a few months ago. Don't focus on what isn't here (god), focus on life and all the juicy experiences! Good work on shedding the mental notion of hell Thumbsup. Hopefully your loved ones will accept your freethinking views. Be patient, it'll take a while.

This forum's a good place to voice your opinions, issues etc. I'm sure most of us will be willing to share our experiences. There isn't much separating you and others even with religious differences, so continue talking to friends. If they don't accept your change, they were never really true friends. I don't really feel much change in relationship with them anymore, though I did feel isolated initially.

In a sense, it's like growing older, many differences but largely unchanged core. Congratulations.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
22-12-2013, 12:03 PM
(09-12-2013 11:44 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  Have you tried using Meetup.com to find groups that might help? I was able to find several atheist groups.

many of your local groups will also have closed groups on Facebook (if you hang out there too). It gives you a place to talk to locals privately and meet up. The one in my area tends to go out for drinks once a month.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm with you. I'm finally admitting my atheism to myself and I feel like there's no way I can come out to my family and friends, who are staunch, happy, unquestioning Christians. I am fortunate that my partner is an atheist. For the record, his atheism didn't influence my own deconversion- he was actually extremely supportive of my Christianity and even encouraged me to go to church. He is equally supportive of my atheism, as well.

I have found a lot of happiness and relief in giving up my so-called faith, and I'd like to talk to my best friends, in addition to my partner, about it, because that's what we do with everything else in our lives. But their response would not be supportive, and the last thing I want is for my friends to see me as some kind of tool of the devil in their lives or something, or someone whose soul they have to pray for. Also, they constantly say things like "we just have to trust in God's will." and it is getting harder and harder for me to play along.

So, I don't have any advice for you... but let me know if you figure it out!

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
[+] 2 users Like 31:25's post