atheism is something you do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 02:27 PM
atheism is something you do
I'm new to atheism but when I was believer, I thought about it, speculated and wondered so I am right out the gate with ideas.

I think atheism to me is something one does, to gain freedom. It can be as simple as accepting truths or probably truths. I'm not anti-deism or anti-universal intelligence but that is irrelevant to my aims at the moment, which is human freedom. Atheism therefore to me is an active climb, if you understand it. There is no god, of the type represented in the bible or koran or talmud but there are many godthoughts. God is all powerful and he is watching you, kinda like big brother. Oh and he really cares. So this puts a crimp on behavior and courage. Monitor your mind and anytime you find yourself having a Godthought, stop yourself and expand your consciousness, because that's really what it's about to me, expanded consciousness and gnosis- which I define as knowledge that has blossomed into consciousness, integrated knowledge, as opposed to knowledge that stays stuck and doesn't ever manage to transform a person, knowledge that they don't make their own.

Atheism is a climb. There is no "God" like of the bible, but there are gods in this world, and they are very real. They are policy makers, elite social engineers, "reality" constructors- which is not reality at all but some sort of virtual reality. Dialectical in the hegelian and marxist senses, destroyers and controllers and corrallers and shepherds" to us sheep and cows. They have a high intelligence but it is used to consolidate their powers. They have a strong grip on the world. They want to control or influence our thoughts as much as possible, and make us cower, so this is as important to know as is the idea of "God" himself being an illusion. Morality may also be false, or there may be some universal morality. I haven't decided but I look to nature. Karma seems logical and good, but beware. That could also be a delusion, and something we lean on and hope to in vain.

Atheism is something one does, in my mind. Anything that makes one more conscious, insightful, intelligent, active, thoughtful, aware, aggressive even when necessary, and capable of initiative and sustained commitment to healthful pursuits, that is what I believe in and support. Skinner talks about certain behaviors being reinforced or not. Yeah that's all there, and we can indeed be trained as dogs by pleasure and pain, and made into robots or zombies. However, beneath all this is primal nature, raw instinct, the call of the wild in us all. We just have to learn to tap into that, and allow that to empower us, and empower our minds, so we can find our way out of the labyrinth of social conditioning the gods have constructed for us. It could have been the gods who created the idea of God anyway. let us get out of virtual reality and wake up to true reality. Atheism is something one does, step by step, meine meining nach (in my opinion).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes viking's post
21-06-2013, 02:29 PM
RE: atheism is something you do

No it's not. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
21-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Hmmmmm.....Consider

Nope.

Atheism is simply a stance on the notion of the existence of god.

I believe you are referring to philosophy in general.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Good post. Even if I don't agree. Tongue

Like how I call my moral, atheistic philosophy Gwynnite; cause atheism is just, you know, atheism. Kinda boring, actually. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
21-06-2013, 02:44 PM
(21-06-2013 02:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Good post. Even if I don't agree. Tongue

Like how I call my moral, atheistic philosophy Gwynnite; cause atheism is just, you know, atheism. Kinda boring, actually. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I think if I understand the sentiment correctly this post would be better expressed as:

Atheist is something that you are because you are not...
Free thinking is something that you do...
I'm an Atheist because I am free thinking.

21-06-2013, 02:48 PM
(21-06-2013 02:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 02:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Good post. Even if I don't agree. Tongue

Yeah, not when there's Christians around. Big Grin

But this is all boring atheist Attleboro. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
21-06-2013, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 03:00 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
Atheism is actually something you don't do. So much so that atheism shouldn't even be a word because it's not actually a thing. We are all "atheist" (using the term loosely metaphorically here) to many things. Gods, pegasuses, an uncle that never was born or ever existed, the second set of arms I have on my body. Those are all things I do not believe exist, but I don't need to have a name for not believing in having a second pair of arms on my body, and I don't have to actively do, not believing I have a second pair of arms on my body. I just don't.

What you think of, and what other inaccurately think of as "doing" atheism would actually be something else...skepticism, or rationalism, or scientific inquiry. Those are different things. Those are all things people do, but are not atheism. There are many close correlations that can be made between them and atheism. But I don't have to be a skeptic or rationalist to be an atheist. All I have to do to be an atheist is not believe in gods and the supernatural. My dog is an atheist, but not because he does something, but because he has no concept of even the idea of gods.

Skepticism, rationalism and scientific inquiry are all great things to "do" and may or may not lead an individual toward atheism, but are not atheism.

21-06-2013, 02:55 PM
(21-06-2013 02:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 02:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  No it's not. Drinking Beverage

Yeah, not when there's Christians around. Big Grin

But this is all boring atheist Attleboro. Tongue

Attleboro isn't boring this week:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aaron-hernandez...d=19453898

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-06-2013, 02:59 PM
It's not something you do; all other things mentioned are part of your personal philosophy and are not included in the definition of atheism.

There is also the fact that not every atheist arrived at that opinion on gods because of critical thinking. I'd say that the majority of atheists do arrive at atheism for that reason, but it's not necessarily so. The only thing you can know for certain about a person who is an atheist just by knowing they are an atheist is that they don't believe in deities. Some of them still believe in various types of woo woo and irrational things. I wish that weren't so, but it sometimes is.

I'd agree with raptor. By definition, atheism is something you DON'T do, namely, believing in deities.