atheism is something you do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 06:12 PM
RE: atheism is something you do
The things you do, like having rational thoughts, using reason and critical thinking to evaluate claims, more than likely, should lead you to atheism.

Critical thinking is a kind of freedom I suppose when you compare it to gullibility

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2013, 06:44 PM
(21-06-2013 06:12 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The things you do, like having rational thoughts, using reason and critical thinking to evaluate claims, more than likely, should lead you to atheism.

Critical thinking is a kind of freedom I suppose when you compare it to gullibility

Critical thinking is something you "do". Maybe that would make more sense for the OP.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-06-2013, 06:49 PM
(21-06-2013 02:52 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  We are all "atheist" (using the term loosely metaphorically here) to many things. Gods, pegasuses, an uncle that never was born or ever existed, the second set of arms I have on my body. Those are all things I do not believe exist, but I don't need to have a name for not believing in having a second pair of arms on my body, and I don't have to actively do, not believing I have a second pair of arms on my body. I just don't.

This is the result of a majority of people having a belief causing the minority to necessitate distinguishing themselves. Maybe someday the shoe will be in the other foot and everyone will be thought of as a non-believer. Someday.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-06-2013, 02:40 PM
interesting replies. I guess I am in an anti-religion phase, and I mean that in a particular way. The hell I do not rebel against authority, I believe in rightful authority. I mean at this phase of my life, maybe forever, i am interested in behavior and in freedom from social control, from guilt.. I guess I would say there is a path to freedom, and to be an atheist, means to destroy belief. i am interested in the psychological process which is belief or credence, as well as unreasonable doubt/über-skepticism. So my point was just not believing in God does not mean you are free in the mind.

Man I am reading the books now. I downloaded samples on my kindle for hitchens, dawkins (already read his god delusion) and harris and dennett. I think I like hitchens the best, his wit and mind make me re-thinking things in details, how religion affects view of world, behavior, consciousness, and sexuality. my kindle memory is already full. best thing for becoming an atheist, a bible dictionary. Think atheism is the beginning of thinking, learning about religion, not the end... for my path anyway
23-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Plato or Descartes would likely disagree about that définition. Doubt is something you do (or should) as is questionning your own beliefs and motivations. Doubt should logically have atheism as a consequence but it's hardly a motor. Critical thinking can lead to very different conclusions too. Odd as it might be, René Descartes' ultimate conclusion to Cogito ergo sum is «therefore god».
What one needs to remember isn't the inexistence of anything supernatural but how to come back to that conclusion.