atheist divorce rates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 02:04 PM
atheist divorce rates
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistfamil...ivorce.htm

I thought this was an interesting bit to share on here. Check it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mec's post
13-06-2013, 02:16 PM
RE: atheist divorce rates
Not much of a difference, probably within margin of error, it only proves that atheists and theists have almost the same rate of marital issues

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-06-2013, 02:24 PM
(13-06-2013 02:16 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Not much of a difference, probably within margin of error, it only proves that atheists and theists have almost the same rate of marital issues

When you crunch the numbers you are right.. the differences aren't that significant
13-06-2013, 02:34 PM
(13-06-2013 02:24 PM)mec Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 02:16 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Not much of a difference, probably within margin of error, it only proves that atheists and theists have almost the same rate of marital issues

When you crunch the numbers you are right.. the differences aren't that significant

On the other hand as a catholic I remember the priests highly recommending pre-marital counseling and education within the church. Pre marital inventories etc. So I found all that a little confusing being semi agnostic at the time.
[+] 1 user Likes mec's post
13-06-2013, 03:05 PM
The margin of error is 2% and is based on interviews of 3800 adults. The study itself says that the difference b/t fundies and atheists was significant. Since the authors were a religious organization that would probably want to say it is immaterial, they do not. (Note: I give them credit for reporting results that probably don't match their original hypothesis and they didn't run from it).

BIG Freakin caveat- the info on the study I note above comes from a website that I would not call authoritative so I won't even post it but hope others can confirm/correct.
13-06-2013, 04:25 PM
It's interesting even if the difference isn't very significant in that is still shows that Christians do not have the lock on family values. I use that expression because they seem to love it so and use marriage as the foundation of it.

Of course, another trend is people not bothering with marriage in the first place. I don't have numbers on that, but I know plenty of Christians who have shacked up.

Godless in the Magnolia State
14-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I find it funny they lumped Catholics and Lutherans together. (who btw are relatively equal to atheists).

Also one factor might be that atheists are more likely to live together before hand and the study may not count long term relationships that ended but were not considered a divorce because they weren't married.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
14-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I thought this part of the article was interesting......

"The difference in divorce rates is particularly interesting given the fact that the Christians getting divorced in the highest numbers are among the same Christians who are most likely to raise an alarm about the state of marriage in society. They also tend to be the same Christians who want to deny gays the right to marry on the assumption that gay marriage is a "threat" to the institution of marriage. If marriage is in any danger in America, perhaps the threat comes from the unstable marriages of conservative Christians, not the relationships of gays or the marriages of godless atheists."

Much of why I think that atheists have a lower divorce rate is that atheists use reason to get through life and theists don't. Perhaps there is more logical communication going on with atheists. The Northeast and the Northwest have the lowest divorce rate of all the groups, is it the cold weather?? Maybe we aren't so hot tempered in the northern areas. I live in the Northwest and have been married for 24 years. Is it something in the rain?

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-06-2013, 12:15 PM
(14-06-2013 11:44 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I find it funny they lumped Catholics and Lutherans together. (who btw are relatively equal to atheists).

Also one factor might be that atheists are more likely to live together before hand and the study may not count long term relationships that ended but were not considered a divorce because they weren't married.

I knew a few Lutherans that would have hated that.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon