atheist or just anti-THAT god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2012, 05:37 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god
(25-11-2012 05:24 PM)chandrashakti Wrote:  I do not consider myself atheist. I believe there is something out there bigger than us.

Why?

(25-11-2012 05:24 PM)chandrashakti Wrote:  My god is more like the unified field theory than the jerk you hear about from so many fundamentalist monotheists.

That's fine I suppose, but what is it exactly?

(25-11-2012 05:24 PM)chandrashakti Wrote:  My question is are atheists simply reacting against the cruel god they were raised with or is there a firm belief that if it cannot be detected by the current state of science its existence is irrelevant?

As a whole? No. Are some? Statistically more than likely. After all, if you were raised to believe something and then dropped it after many years of believing it, you'd probably feel a bit pissed off too. But being pissed off isn't the reason most become atheists, that usually comes after once you come to a sense of reality and then look back and feel like you were lied to. That eventually passes for the most part.

(25-11-2012 05:24 PM)chandrashakti Wrote:  Both options seem a bit limited and judgemental to me. The former is no different than so many Neopagans I have met. ie: That God is horrible so I cannot make myself believe that.

Well, logically it doesn't necessarily make sense. If there is a god, it either does not intervene, or in any ways that we can actually detect, or it doesn't care. In my opinion that either makes it incapable of doing so, doesn't care, or is a giant dick. That doesn't make me want to not believe in it, it does mean I wouldn't want to worship it. But it has nothing to do with why I don't believe in it. I don't see any empirical evidence, so I see no reason to believe in one.

(25-11-2012 05:24 PM)chandrashakti Wrote:  The latter, well umm did radioactivity not exist before the Curies did their research? Just because science hasn't found it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sounds like the god-of-the-gaps inverted.
Or is there something else I am missing?

God of the gaps is trying to squeeze a god into things that are unexplained. Things which are unexplained are just that: Unexplained. If things are unexplained it does not mean we should try and squeeze a god into it. I'm a huge fan of Occam's Razor which is that logically and rationally we should use the least amount of assumptions possible. In other words, if something can be explained without a supernatural cause, then the supernatural cause need not be included.

First off, for someone to explain something with a god, they should define what the god is in the first place. Is this a detectable god? An all knowing god? Is their god just a metaphor for something they idolize? Unfortunately most people can't really agree on what exactly it is and how it would exist and be detected. Define that first, and then we can start talking.

An attempt to explain a god from something that seems incredibly hard to believe would be an argument from ignorance. The "This seems too hard to believe so it must be supernatural" is just as bad as "Well you can't explain it therefore god."

Am I ANTI god? No. I'm open minded. But emotional appeal, god of the gaps, argument from ignorance and supernatural cause without empirical evidence is in my book, not at all credible sources for anything.

I have many pagan friends as well and they are generally more open minded than 99% of the mono-theistic people I've ran into. But still they seem to have their fair share of first-hand accounts, non-empirical things that seem unbelievable and easily dismissed. But they do no harm to me, and them believing in what they want to believe does no harm to me, nor me to them. So in my opinion... "Whatever."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - Vosur - 25-11-2012, 05:32 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - Logisch - 25-11-2012 05:37 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - DLJ - 25-11-2012, 06:01 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - amyb - 25-11-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - amyb - 25-11-2012, 08:48 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - Vosur - 25-11-2012, 06:42 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - amyb - 25-11-2012, 06:42 PM
RE: atheist or just anti-THAT god - Julius - 25-11-2012, 08:07 PM