atheist tv channel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
atheist tv channel
Hello my fellow freethinkers.
Below is a message i sent to the richard dawkins website in the hope that someone with a lot more influence than me could startup a tv station. I strongly believe that this is what the atheist visibilty movement needs to awaken the minds of people who cannot see the harm that religions are doing around the world, and find it hard to grasp basic scientific ways of thinking:

Dear Professor Dawkins
I have read your books and seen and listened to a lot of your talks. The secular, rational thinking atheist visibility movement makes a lot of sense to rational people like myself. However, i strongly believe that we need to take the next step if you want to get the message to the majority of people. I mean the kinds of people who are non- believers but still go along with thinking that religions make the world a more moral place. Those people who dont know about or visit your website or will not because they believe the false hype about 'militant' secularism / atheism etc.
You need to get a tv channel or at least a slot on one of the many cable and sattelite tv stations here in the uk such as http://www.information.tv/?cid... (their website say they can have you on air in less than a week on sky tv, cable or freeview) You say you get a million hits a month. You can show your own documentaries to millions of followers and reach millions of new people with the excellent videos of Sean Faircloth and Dr Elizabeth cornwall. You can allow other video producers or youtubers like http://www.thethinkingatheist.com, http://www.theatheistexperience.com James randi,etc, etc, to get their shows broadcast to millions of people.
On sky tv there are over 20 christian god channels constantly pertetuating the delusion, over 20 islam channels, phsychic tv channels, the caravan channel, controversial tv Read this:(http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-a... If they can get their own channel then surely it cant be that difficult?

I believe that Just one rational tv station is all it will take to tip the scales and wake people up.
You can publicise the plight of victims of religious laws.
You can expose and debunk religious charlatans and fraudsters
You can televise and broadcast your next tour.
You can have atheist conventions from around the world televised and broadcast to millions
You can help advertise camp quest and other secular and / or science organisations.
You can broadcast your many excellent documentaries such as 'the root of all evil' and 'faith school menace' and any future ones in the making.
You can broadcast your many atheist v theist debates and others by Sam Harris, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and the late Christopher Hitchens etc.
You can publicise Maryam Namazie's excellent 'one law for all' campaign.
You can rent out hourly slots and make money for fundraising.
You can advertise the station here on your website and include a program guide.

What do you think?

All ideas, suggestions and opinions are welcome.
Respects
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like blue giant's post
03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
RE: atheist tv channel
As long as the atheist TV channel doesn't become the Reality TV Channel, I think its a neat idea.

My only worry is that within 5 years it would go down the same route as the History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc., who are now nothing more than reality TV channels with stupid shows about people driving trucks, cutting down trees, and running a pawn shop.

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
[+] 3 users Like Ozzie's post
03-10-2012, 05:19 PM
It's a great idea, but I think we already have such a channel in the US called The Science Channel. Discovery, too.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2012, 05:24 PM
It's a good idea, but how many people are really going to tune in to a channel that they know is about atheism? The people that would tune in are already seeking information on the Internet. The people that wouldn't tune in due to the social stigma of being an atheist, are already receiving atheistic programming. The Science channel, Discovery, History, etc... all offer science-based programming that makes people reevaluate their beliefs. Even documentaries on the history of the Bible showcase all the inconsistencies involved with religion. No one is better at making atheists than the Church...thus my avatar.

In ancient times, most people were illiterate & only the well-to-do & clergy could read. Around 500 CE, the Bible was translated into 500+ languages. Around 600 CE, the Catholic Church made any Bible in any language other than Latin illegal under threat of execution. They wanted to keep it in a language that most people didn't speak. If people cannot read for themselves, they're less likely to see what horse shit it is. The Catholic Church still uses Latin today to sound more divine. In 1229, the Council of Bishops decreed that only clergy members could own a Bible...one more way of keeping sheeple in the dark. It wasn't until Gutenberg invented movable type in 1455 that Bibles could be mass-produced & people started to see the inconsistencies. This led Martin Luther in 1517 to start the Protestant movement, which splintered into thousands of denominations because each one saw inconsistencies that they didn't like. However, instead of finding it all horse shit, they just made changes to suit their beliefs. With the advent of the Internet, cable TV, & radio, people are able to investigate the inconsistencies in their religion much more easily. I strongly believe this is why no-religion, agnostic, & atheist are the fastest growing demographics in the world right now. This is also one reason we're seeing revolutions in the Middle East. When people have access to the truth & see how everybody else lives, they want change. So, it's just a matter of time before we'll be a majority...give it a couple of generations.

Of course, an atheist channel would be helpful in this regard, but you can't push people. You have to let them draw the conclusion for themselves or at least be there when they start to question.

A thinking man has ideas that evolve. My religion right now is waffles...I'm a Jemima's Witness. Wink
[+] 2 users Like Pragmatist's post
03-10-2012, 06:03 PM
(03-10-2012 05:19 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  It's a great idea, but I think we already have such a channel in the US called The Science Channel. Discovery, too.

The Science Channel has been on a negative angle lately.. obviously pushing toward more less pure science/skeptical types of shows to getting more pop culture shows. It's what I guess gets ratings.. idk I don't watch those shows on the channel when they pop on.

I used to be able to defend the History Channel until a year ago. I had the History Channel International which was great.. it showed various legit programs all day and night long including their older shows on different world events. They decided that was no good and changed it into H2 and it just turned into the feasting pop-culture nonsense the History Channel had become. They ruined the only credibility I saw them have.

I advocate we should get a Skeptic TV channel.. that way it can be more branching to have various other topics than atheism.. but keep it to having skepticism to religion and put shows being skeptical to all religions on the network.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Discovery is just reality shows now, and History actively pushes religious content when they aren't talking about sharks or nazis. Haven't watched the Science channel much, but I hear they're running serious, supportive shows on UFOs.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
04-10-2012, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 01:57 PM by blue giant.)
Thank you all for your replies.
I was just looking at some of the channels on sky tv in uk and came across these two. Unbelievable!!!

http://www.believetvnetwork.com/

http://www.olivetv.uk.com/watch-live-olive-tv/

And thats just 2 out of many similar stations on tv brainwashing and poisoning peoples minds

These stations broadcast 24/7 on sky tv and online and hold packed church meetings every week!!!
This is what we are up against and its not a joke. Its about time we started fighting back with our own station run by atheists to counter based on reason and logic.

If they can do it, SO CAN WE.
And we need to act NOW before its too late and the UN implements an international blasphemy law forbidding the lawful criticism of religious beliefs and dogmas.
(Many nations in the UN are actually fighting very hard for this as we speak)

It can show pre recorded science videos from people like carl sagan, stephen hawkins, neil degrasse tyson, jim al-khalili, lawrence krauss, etc and atheistic debates and conferences.
There is an overwhelming wealth of video material on youtube that could also be broadcast to people who wouldn't normally search for it.
It could show movies every saturday night such as 'The life of Brian', ' The invention of lying' or 'The ledge' etc.
We can have an atheist comedy hour with George Carling, Dave Allen, mr deity, julia sweeney, etc.
Could have the James Randi hour every day debunking 'faith' healers like peter poppof who prey on the poor and vulnerable.
There could be a sunday big debate show highlighting the plight of fellow freethinkers around the world who are suffering right now just for speaking the truth about their beliefs.
Take a look at this report by humanrightsfirst. 
http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/wp-conte..._Cases.pdf

The guys (and girl) over at  http://askanatheist.tv/ were talking about it on their excellent latest podcast about blasphemy. Have a listen.

To Seth.
It can show all the great videos from this site to millions of people. You can install a webcam and broadcast your brilliant weekly podcasts, that have helped me to convert from a theist to atheist within a year of listening, to millions! ( include the cute little ratdog as well :-))

A lot of people who found this site, found it by accident or after searching for atheist material online. Imagine the millions of apathetic atheists or believers who can be informed about the arguments against religion and wake up to the mass delusion that religion really is. Just take a look at the amount of 'god' channels on your tv now.
I'm not talking about starting a new discovery or science channel.
This channel should be run by atheists, humanists and freethinkers specifically to address the balance of opinion to show the millions in the general population the atheists perspective on life.
I think it will really take off and be a huge hit with viewers. In the uk more than 50% of the population are non religious, but there is nothing like this on tv. In the u.s. more than 20% are non religious. That number could double within a year if apathetic theists knew what atheists take for granted.

Respects
04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
(04-10-2012 10:27 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Discovery is just reality shows now, and History actively pushes religious content when they aren't talking about sharks or nazis. Haven't watched the Science channel much, but I hear they're running serious, supportive shows on UFOs.

Oh god damn yes, there is so much UFO shit on all the documentary channels it's unreal.

Fuck, even Animal Planet is getting in on the mix with "Finding Big Foot" crap. Animal planet of all shows. They have a massive range of animals they can document on, including a huge list of fucking adorable ones and they show shit about some fat oaf on the search for big foot?? are you fucking pulling my leg!? and I'm paying to watch this shit!! GET THE FUCK OFF MY TV!.

The problem is that viewership is in the masses, and the masses are mentally fucked up in the head and mind blowingly stupid. My flat mate for example, completely stupid bitch, doesn't know if sound or light is faster.
And so they put on these reality TV shows that seem staged (probably because they are. Operation Repo was great until I found out it was staged, should have seen that a mile away, my bad.) too please the masses so they get viewership up.

UFOs and religious stuff, and Nazis (oh god especially nazis) sell. Who doesn't love a good doco on 6million jews being killed? Or who doesn't love a good doco on crazy people who saw a ball of light move oddly in the sky...
People wonder why I'm such a pessimist, it's because the world is fucking stupid, how can I be an optimist amongst all this stupidity?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Blue Giant, basically what needs to happen to get an Atheist TV channel is this:

1. Demonstrate that there is some monetary gain to be had in airing an Atheist TV channel, that is its income would exceed its costs
2. Find investors willing to put up the couple million dollars needed to get it off the ground
3. Convince a cable network that it's actually a good idea (probably the hardest part) (I don't think public access will work out in the long run; The Atheist Experience are the only ones to have pulled it off and they're struggling)
4. Gather the people and resources necessary to successfully run the channel
5. Find sponsors to run advertisements on the channel, the cable network would help with this
6. Find or create at least 50 hours of content every single week (there are 168 hours in a week, call 68 of them commercial hours, assume you'll re-run things during non-primetime, so 50 hours total content)
7. Advertise the channel to get watchers
8. KEEP MAKING CONTENT or it gets stale.

Honestly though, TV is the past. The internet is the future. There might be a way to organize the various bloggers and podcasts and shows to make them more visible and efficient, but I don't think a TV channel is viable or even desirable.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
04-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I suggested science-based channels, and there are all these attacks on them as if we expect any channel (even one called "atheist tv") to have only programming that we agree with. I would contend that there's no such thing as a channel that would contain 100% of programming that we would all find acceptable. Even if it only aired shows by atheists, for atheists, and starring atheists, we'd still find things that were disagreeable -- Atheist+, anyone?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user