atheist tv channel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
RE: atheist tv channel
(04-10-2012 04:33 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I suggested science-based channels, and there are all these attacks on them as if we expect any channel (even one called "atheist tv") to have only programming that we agree with. I would contend that there's no such thing as a channel that would contain 100% of programming that we would all find acceptable. Even if it only aired shows by atheists, for atheists, and starring atheists, we'd still find things that were disagreeable -- Atheist+, anyone?

You missed the point. I don't expect to agree with everything on a channel. But there is very, very, very little that I like or agree with on Discovery (reality TV central, about one documentary a month at most), History (sharks, nazis, UFOs, and religious dogma), or Science channels (dumbed down science for fifth graders and UFOs).

Since I don't like anything on those channels, guess what, I diss them. Because that's what people do when they dislike something. Tongue

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
(04-10-2012 04:37 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(04-10-2012 04:33 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I suggested science-based channels, and there are all these attacks on them as if we expect any channel (even one called "atheist tv") to have only programming that we agree with. I would contend that there's no such thing as a channel that would contain 100% of programming that we would all find acceptable. Even if it only aired shows by atheists, for atheists, and starring atheists, we'd still find things that were disagreeable -- Atheist+, anyone?

You missed the point. I don't expect to agree with everything on a channel. But there is very, very, very little that I like or agree with on Discovery (reality TV central, about one documentary a month at most), History (sharks, nazis, UFOs, and religious dogma), or Science channels (dumbed down science for fifth graders and UFOs).

Since I don't like anything on those channels, guess what, I diss them. Because that's what people do when they dislike something. Tongue

That's fine, but I think you missed the point. Just because you're an atheist and not interested in these channels doesn't mean that they aren't aimed at the interests of atheists -- you don't represent the majority (necessarily). When I watch TV, it's typically something from one of these channels... they're aren't likely to push a religious agenda. Besides, you seem to be looking at only one half of the ledger. There are science-based shows on TV, and they obviously show up on these channels. Is your prejudice preventing you from noticing the majority of programming? Do you only notice the shows that you don't approve of?

What exactly would an atheist channel contain to fill 24 hours of programming? This is the question that some of these channels -- history, science, etc. -- must contend with. If they don't have 24 hours of content catering to their specific purpose, they're likely to wander in their content. Or show static.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
(03-10-2012 05:19 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  It's a great idea, but I think we already have such a channel in the US called The Science Channel. Discovery, too.

Seriously have you watched the Discovery channel recently, particularly around the major christian holidays?

Unfortunately in the US, TV channels need to make a lot of money. That means attracting advertisers, and that means you have to play to lowest common denominator in order to attract the largest audience

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 04:34 PM by blue giant.)
(04-10-2012 04:14 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Blue Giant, basically what needs to happen to get an Atheist TV channel is this:

1. Demonstrate that there is some monetary gain to be had in airing an Atheist TV channel, that is its income would exceed its costs
2. Find investors willing to put up the couple million dollars needed to get it off the ground
3. Convince a cable network that it's actually a good idea (probably the hardest part) (I don't think public access will work out in the long run; The Atheist Experience are the only ones to have pulled it off and they're struggling)
4. Gather the people and resources necessary to successfully run the channel
5. Find sponsors to run advertisements on the channel, the cable network would help with this
6. Find or create at least 50 hours of content every single week (there are 168 hours in a week, call 68 of them commercial hours, assume you'll re-run things during non-primetime, so 50 hours total content)
7. Advertise the channel to get watchers
8. KEEP MAKING CONTENT or it gets stale.

Honestly though, TV is the past. The internet is the future. There might be a way to organize the various bloggers and podcasts and shows to make them more visible and efficient, but I don't think a TV channel is viable or even desirable.

I appreciate your comments on the idea, but think you are being way too pessimistic about it for the following reasons:

1. The atheist visibility movement is not about making money. I'm sure Seth makes no financial profit producing his videos, weekly podcasts and running this website. It's about getting the message across that non belief is a viable option.

2. You dont need 2 million dollars to get your material on air. Like i said earlier, there are satelite tv stations here in the uk such as http://www.information.tv/?cid... (their website say they can have you on air in less than a week on sky tv, cable and freeview)
They dont cost 2 million There are many other community stations that will put your material on air for next to nothing. For example: Edge media http://www.emtvonline.co.uk/home.php who run controversial tv on sky channel 200 charge £150 - £300 for an hour slot on their station and do cheaper deals for daily or weekly slots. They also allow you to sell advertising time during your slot. and rent out studio facilities if you need it for £150 per half day. I dont know where you get your estimate of 2 million dollars from?

3. Atheist conferences are being sold out accross the country. 20000+ people attended the reason rally. Atheism is the largest growing minority in america and is the majority in the uk. Virgin cable network in the uk is run by Richard Branson (an atheist). The atheist experience has been running for years on cable network and just last week ran a two hour show with Teresa Mcbean from the clergy project, (now with american atheists.) What makes you think they are struggling. I would love to see that show broadcast once a week in the uk on national cable and satelite tv. I think it would be a huge hit.

4. I see thousands of talented people, making great material online, organising conventions, reason rallys, freethought rallys, creationst v atheist debates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g2bE7pHF...e=g-user-u (that's so chratheist). Ask an atheist, James randi, Richard Dawkins, the thinking atheist. etc

5. There are hundreds of atheists organisations that could advertise on the channel. They could promote their next conventions, atheist goods, books, videos, rallys, debates etc. You also have Camp Quest who could promote their summer camps and even advertise for volunteers.

6. You dont need 50 hours of material a week to start off. The atheist experience broadcast just 1/2 hours a week every sunday afternoon. But if it were to run 24/7 just look at the amount of great videos produced by The Thinking Atheist, Richard Dawkins, James Randi, Neil Degrasse Tyson etc. And the many other youtube atheists who would love to have their material broadcast to millions who would not normally search online for it.

7. I dont know how many hits this site gets a month, but i do know that it has a huge following. Richard Dawkins website also gets over a million hits a month. American Atheists and other atheists groups are constantly running billboard campaigns. They can advertise it in their next campaign and have their show http://atheists.org/atheist-viewpoint broadcast nationally as well (including all back episodes). The atheist experience and the thinking atheist could advertise it too, and have hundreds of back episodes shown nationally too. That alone will much more than 50 hours of material per week!

8. There is a wealth of material constantly appearing on you tube made by atheists, not for money, but because they want their material seen by as many people as possible. There is many hundreds of atheist groups and organisations from Black Atheists of America to The London Atheists Activist group, Central london Humanists, British humanists society, National Secular society and many hundreds others around the world who are fighting for the same cause. A secular world with values based on reason, logic, equality for all and common sense. There are literally thousands of people around the world like you and me who are being tortured, persecuted and murdered just for sharing their non belief in some non existant god. Their plight needs to be made aware of. There are televangelists robbing the poor and vulnerable every week of the little cash they have whilst living in mansions, owning private jets, and paying NO taxes. And then have the audacity to campaign for more tax cuts for their rich friends who want to keep the status quo. And illegally command their flock to vote for the candidate who supports even more religious priviledges.

I just think that the more people we can reach, the more people will start to question their irrational beliefs and eventually free themselves from the mental slavery that religion has over them.
06-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I get 5 PBS channels. Lots of science, lots of history, lots of politics, lots of news.

Sounds a lot like like what you're looking for.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post