atheists make up 0.07% of the prison population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
atheists make up 0.07% of the prison population
I don't know if this has been discussed but here are some new numbers of atheists in prison. One of the things I question about this article is whether the survey was confidential. If the prisoners were asked their religious or non religious beliefs while standing before a prison panel or a judge then it might have been skewed. Who wants to admit being an atheist in front a prison guard or judge or someone who has power over your life.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-imagined/

Even so, if the population of atheists in the US is 12 to 15% and the population of prison atheists is even at 0.2 % as has been touted for many years then being an atheist is more moral than being religious.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: atheists make up 0.07% of the prison population
In prison, nothing is confidential.

In prison, being an atheist is bad.

0.07% is a shockingly high number of people stupid enough to say they are an atheist in prison.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
06-09-2013, 02:29 PM
(06-09-2013 02:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Even so, if the population of atheists in the US is 12 to 15% and the population of prison atheists is even at 0.2 % as has been touted for many years then being an atheist is more moral than being religious.

Your facts are probably accurate, but I have to disagree with your conclusion. Morality and conviction do not correlate. A person whose third strike, sending them to prison for life, was stealing groceries for her family, is not less moral than a free CEO who pollutes a river or a pedophile priest who will never be charged with a crime.

law=/=ethics

Imprisonment correlates with poverty. Low education correlates with poverty. Atheism usually correlates with high education and middle to upper class status.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 5 users Like I Am's post
06-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Atheists, Christians, Islamic, Jewish, etc. are not moral or immoral, people are moral or immoral.
06-09-2013, 03:18 PM
In one of my Criminal Justice classes we had to read a book (More God, Less Crime) that was all about churches going into the prison systems and essentially mentoring inmates and committing to helping them out upon release. Part of the deal is that the inmates have to be part of what is nearly a 24/7 schedule of constant religious (Christian) instruction. In return they are more likely to be paroled since they will have church sponsors when they get out.

I see the whole thing as a way of recruiting people who are desperate to do whatever they have to in order to be released. If they truly believe or if they are playing the game is a question I would love an answer for.

Oddly the results of this great plan are shaky at best.

And the author of this study used the term 'empirical evidence' about every other sentence to make his concept that God saves more valid.

Of course he wouldn't skew anything in order to keep state funds pumping into his little experiment. UGH!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
1. What are the percentages of total atheists in a country.
2. What are the percentages of of total atheists in prison.
2b. Are these percentages of people who ENTERED prison, -or- had they been in prison for awhile? If it was the later...
2c. How many of the atheists converted while in prison, and how many religious deconverted while in prison?

These need to be clear cut, it's too murky right now. Even in basic statistics of how many in the country are atheists. "Oh, well, x% don't say they're atheists, but technically they are." Who decides whether they are or aren't? There's too much inaccuracy.

And the fruits of getting the correct answer seems negligible. It'll just boil down to "Are you good because a book says so, or because the book recognizes it as good?"
06-09-2013, 03:47 PM
(06-09-2013 03:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In one of my Criminal Justice classes we had to read a book (More God, Less Crime) that was all about churches going into the prison systems and essentially mentoring inmates and committing to helping them out upon release. Part of the deal is that the inmates have to be part of what is nearly a 24/7 schedule of constant religious (Christian) instruction. In return they are more likely to be paroled since they will have church sponsors when they get out.

I see the whole thing as a way of recruiting people who are desperate to do whatever they have to in order to be released. If they truly believe or if they are playing the game is a question I would love an answer for.

Oddly the results of this great plan are shaky at best.

And the author of this study used the term 'empirical evidence' about every other sentence to make his concept that God saves more valid.

Of course he wouldn't skew anything in order to keep state funds pumping into his little experiment. UGH!

Prisons can't be a very easy place to do a study of any kind especially something like religious beliefs. One way to find the numbers is to ask prisoners when they enter the prison system for the first time (like at age 16!!) what their religious beliefs are. Question them anonymously and try to follow each prisoner through the years and find out what happened to their religious beliefs. I donno. That's just a quick thought.

On a global view the most atheistic countries have the least crime and are the most educated.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
06-09-2013, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 05:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-09-2013 02:43 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Atheists, Christians, Islamic, Jewish, etc. are not moral or immoral, people are moral or immoral.

but but but .... Girly's amoral. Morality is overrated. There ain't no right, there ain't no wrong. There's only actions and consequences.

(06-09-2013 02:29 PM)I Am Wrote:  law=/=ethics

And ethics ≠ morals. Girly's gotta follow strict ethical standards but morals ain't required. And they can't be required by my employer, like statutorily.

(06-09-2013 02:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  In prison, nothing is confidential.

In prison, being an atheist is bad.

0.07% is a shockingly high number of people stupid enough to say they are an atheist in prison.

How many atheists make it through the Parole Board? Gotta find Jebus if you want to make parole.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-09-2013, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2013 05:19 PM by LadyJane.)
(06-09-2013 04:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There ain't no right, there ain't no wrong.

Nice avatar photo. Big Grin
06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
(06-09-2013 05:07 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(06-09-2013 04:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There ain't no right, there ain't no wrong.

Nice avatar photo. Big Grin

teehee teehee Blush ... you like? you want more? ... Blush teehee teehee. ... I am Carlos Sumo.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.