badly burned by encounter with street preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 06:30 AM
Aaaaagghh !!! I got ambushed in town today by street preachers and was engaged on the subject of atheism, unfortunately it backfired spectacularly and I got badly burned, I couldn't remember one single biblical contradiction then the preacher stated that I didn't know he existed until we started talking so how do I know god doesn't exist and I was stumped then he stated that if there was a big bang that the explosion should have caused a vortex and so all the planets should be rotating in the same direction which doesn't sound right but I was still stumped.

So basically I forgot everything I have learned on here regarding counter apologetics. How can I ensure this doesn't happen again, or am I such a crappy atheist that I should just go in a corner and quietly kill myself ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2015, 06:32 AM
RE: badly burned by encounter with street preachers
Being right isn't a competition.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-11-2015, 06:35 AM
(17-11-2015 06:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Being right isn't a competition.

Yeah I know but being roasted by a bunch of creationist dickwads is extremely galling to say the least. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
17-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Don't feel too bad, street preachers are professional slimy dickheads.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
17-11-2015, 06:56 AM
(17-11-2015 06:30 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Aaaaagghh !!! I got ambushed in town today by street preachers and was engaged on the subject of atheism, unfortunately it backfired spectacularly and I got badly burned, I couldn't remember one single biblical contradiction ..SNIP..

So basically I forgot everything I have learned on here regarding counter apologetics. How can I ensure this doesn't happen again, or am I such a crappy atheist that I should just go in a corner and quietly kill myself ?

I wouldn't get too hung up on this. But when I am confronted by someone who is quite obviously spouting woooo........I ask them for the evidence and if they come up with even more wooo (which this guy obviously was), I ask where they got that information from. At that point people invariably start to become extremely vague.

Then walk away.
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
17-11-2015, 06:59 AM
(17-11-2015 06:30 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Aaaaagghh !!! I got ambushed in town today by street preachers and was engaged on the subject of atheism, unfortunately it backfired spectacularly and I got badly burned, I couldn't remember one single biblical contradiction then the preacher stated that I didn't know he existed until we started talking so how do I know god doesn't exist and I was stumped then he stated that if there was a big bang that the explosion should have caused a vortex and so all the planets should be rotating in the same direction which doesn't sound right but I was still stumped.

Don't feel bad. I avoid confrontations with theists because verbally I'm not as organized and thoughtful as I am when I write. I try really hard not to engage. If pushed, I will tell a theist that I don't know if god exists (the theist doesn't know either) rather than assert positively that there's no god. It will bother the theist that you can refuse to take a position on the existence of god, but that's not your problem. I will also acknowledge the possibility that I'm wrong, but also tell the theist that even if their god existed, I would not worship it because the Abrahamic god is deeply immoral.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
17-11-2015, 07:06 AM
(17-11-2015 06:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 06:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Being right isn't a competition.

Yeah I know but being roasted by a bunch of creationist dickwads is extremely galling to say the least. Weeping

Just use it as a learning experience. I don't typically get into it with street preachers. I just don't have the patience.

If I am talking to a creationist, I don't typically mention the contradictions if one of them is skilled in reading the Bible. There are a ton of Christian books out there that "explain away" the contradictions in all sorts of creative ways. Instead, I usually just say that the Bible has a talking donkey in it just like in Shrek. So did Shrek really happen too? They usually don't have a response to that one--unless, they go the "it's allegorical" route. To that I usually ask them why God is not clear in his message if he truly wants everyone to follow it or risk the fate of hell if he loves us so much? Allegory means something has a hidden meaning--which is often open to the interpreter (i.e. us). Why did God do the whole Tower of Babel thing and confuse language so people could not understand each other and then expect everyone to understand his translated and re-translated allegorical word clearly when there are so many different cultural and linguistic interpretations of His Word? That usually gets the response of "God works in mysterious ways." So does Zeus. Wink
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-11-2015, 07:13 AM
You're doing it wrong.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-11-2015, 07:14 AM
Sounds like it was a heated conversation, there wasn't enough time to think about things and to wonder whether there was another option, and also that they sprung woo on you that you hadn't heard before. I mean ... vortex??

If in doubt, slow down, ask them questions and really drill into the details. The onus is on them to be consistent. The more insightful the questions the more you'll show it to be bullshit.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
17-11-2015, 07:18 AM
(17-11-2015 06:30 AM)adey67 Wrote:  the preacher stated that I didn't know he existed until we started talking so how do I know god doesn't exist

I would have pointed out that God still hasn't said a thing. I would demand that the preacher have an audible conversation with God so I could hear God speaking.

Or you could have told him that you worship Thor and he speaks to you everyday. Insist that Jesus isn't real.