badly burned by encounter with street preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 10:42 AM
RE: badly burned by encounter with street preachers
If you want to talk to people on the street maybe have a read of A Manual For Creating Atheists and check out Anthony Magnabosco's YouTube channel. The conversation doesn't have to be about point/counterpoint apologetics.

https://youtu.be/jmZ7kXi8fls

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
17-11-2015, 11:10 AM
(17-11-2015 06:30 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Aaaaagghh !!! I got ambushed in town today by street preachers and was engaged on the subject of atheism, unfortunately it backfired spectacularly and I got badly burned, I couldn't remember one single biblical contradiction then the preacher stated that I didn't know he existed until we started talking so how do I know god doesn't exist and I was stumped then he stated that if there was a big bang that the explosion should have caused a vortex and so all the planets should be rotating in the same direction which doesn't sound right but I was still stumped.

So basically I forgot everything I have learned on here regarding counter apologetics. How can I ensure this doesn't happen again, or am I such a crappy atheist that I should just go in a corner and quietly kill myself ?

Your question depends on your goals. Is it your aim to approach theists or is it to be able to stand your ground when asked?

One way is to learn the basic counter arguments to theist claims or questions:

Iron Chariots

There are also several apps that you can download that have some info on them:

Atheist debater
The Skeptics Annotated Bible

One way to continue to learn is to constantly review information and engage with theists. But this isn't a contest. It's not about winning or losing. It's about open dialogue and getting people to think rationally.

To me the best areas of engagement are often the problem of faith, the problem of evil and the problem of divine hiddenness.

**Crickets** -- God
17-11-2015, 11:12 AM
(17-11-2015 10:42 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If you want to talk to people on the street maybe have a read of A Manual For Creating Atheists and check out Anthony Magnabosco's YouTube channel. The conversation doesn't have to be about point/counterpoint apologetics.

https://youtu.be/jmZ7kXi8fls
Thanks I've got it on kindle. I know all the arguments and things to say it just frustrating that when the opportunity to use them came I froze and went blank.
17-11-2015, 11:15 AM
(17-11-2015 11:10 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 06:30 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Aaaaagghh !!! I got ambushed in town today by street preachers and was engaged on the subject of atheism, unfortunately it backfired spectacularly and I got badly burned, I couldn't remember one single biblical contradiction then the preacher stated that I didn't know he existed until we started talking so how do I know god doesn't exist and I was stumped then he stated that if there was a big bang that the explosion should have caused a vortex and so all the planets should be rotating in the same direction which doesn't sound right but I was still stumped.

So basically I forgot everything I have learned on here regarding counter apologetics. How can I ensure this doesn't happen again, or am I such a crappy atheist that I should just go in a corner and quietly kill myself ?

Your question depends on your goals. Is it your aim to approach theists or is it to be able to stand your ground when asked?

Iron Chariots

Atheist debater

One way to continue to learn is to constantly review information and engage with theists. But this isn't a contest. It's not about winning or losing. It's about open dialogue and getting people to think rationally.

To me the best areas of engagement are often the problem of faith, the problem of evil and the problem of divine hiddenness.

Its mainly to hold my own in a defensive action if required thanks to everyone for the links they are very helpful keep them coming folks Smile
17-11-2015, 11:18 AM
(17-11-2015 11:15 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 11:10 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Your question depends on your goals. Is it your aim to approach theists or is it to be able to stand your ground when asked?

Iron Chariots

Atheist debater

Its mainly to hold my own in a defensive action if required today i failed and even had em swarming over me arms streched out in unsolicited prayer, it was like getting spiritualy ass raped! thanks to everyone for the links they are very helpful keep them coming folks Smile
17-11-2015, 11:34 AM
There are no "proofs'' for any of the gods. Faith is a "gift" (according to St. Paul). Just ask them why their god didn't give it to you.

"Almost all celestial rotation in our solar system is from West to East, or counterclockwise when looking down from the North pole. All planets orbit the Sun in this direction; the Sun itself, as well as all but two planets rotate in this way. This is not too surprising, since the angular momentum associated with all this rotation is the same as the total angular momentum of the primordial solar nebula from which the sun and all planets formed.

The two exceptions are Venus and Uranus. Uranus' rotational axis is tilted by slightly more than 90 degrees with respect to its orbital plane, i.e. it is rotating “on its side”. Venus is the only planet in the solar system that truly exhibits reverse rotation, spinning in the opposite direction to its orbital motion.

It is thought that this anomalous rotation was caused by a collision with a very large asteroid, or even a planetoid, early on in the history of our solar system. The collision would have destroyed the asteroid, but the impact could have changed the orientation of the orbital rotation axis."

Not one cosmologist says anything anywhere about a "vortex". There was no "space" for it to be caused in, (until the inflationary epoch, and space time expanded). It's an ignorant meaningless string of words.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Not everyone does well on their feet. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. They are slick and they are used to talking about it, so they have easy answers. It seems like they tried the trick of turning it on you to prove your position. If you encounter them again, remember that the burden on proof for god is on them and hold them to it.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
17-11-2015, 12:46 PM
(17-11-2015 12:37 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Not everyone does well on their feet. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. They are slick and they are used to talking about it, so they have easy answers. It seems like they tried the trick of turning it on you to prove your position. If you encounter them again, remember that the burden on proof for god is on them and hold them to it.
Thanks inigo but the truth is I just froze. I know many of the arguments but I definitely got caught off guard and was like a rabbit in the headlights of a car, totally ineffective. I consider myself quite a strong person but I screwed up big this time.Sad
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
17-11-2015, 12:48 PM
(17-11-2015 12:37 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Not everyone does well on their feet. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. They are slick and they are used to talking about it, so they have easy answers. It seems like they tried the trick of turning it on you to prove your position. If you encounter them again, remember that the burden on proof for god is on them and hold them to it.

Or maybe just ask them if they really think that shouting and confrontation is really a good way to go about getting intelligent thoughtful people to consider seriously what they are saying, and a really useful method for long-term life changes.

Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-11-2015, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2015 01:43 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
You shouldn't feel bad since you were ambushed and (presumably) minding your own business when this occurred. We're not always going to respond in the best possible way, especially in situations where we feel under pressure. Also, don't feel like you have any obligation to respond to them.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post