badly burned by encounter with street preachers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2015, 09:56 PM
RE: badly burned by encounter with street preachers
(22-11-2015 09:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 09:43 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You claim there is no God, I claim there is. The burden is equal.

Prove it.
Likewise
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 07:32 AM by Full Circle.)
(22-11-2015 09:43 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 06:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  There is a burden of proof on anybody who makes a claim. That's basic logic.
You claim there is no God, I claim there is. The burden is equal.

I claim there is an invisible, undetectable Leprechaun that lives in the trunk of your car. If you don’t then prove that it doesn’t. The burden is equal. Rolleyes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-11-2015, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2015 10:24 PM by Full Circle.)
(17-11-2015 06:30 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Aaaaagghh !!!

Don’t be so hard on yourself, I doubt many of us could calmly and effectively argue ANY point when blindsided.

Anyway I have a tried and true response for those rare instances a stranger wishes to discuss religion or politics with me out of the blue. With a fake smile I say,

“I’m sorry, but I only discuss religion/politics with my family and closest friends. You are neither.”

This usually stops the conversation cold.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-11-2015, 10:09 PM
(22-11-2015 09:56 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 09:47 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Prove it.
Likewise

I do not need to disprove that which cannot be proven.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
22-11-2015, 11:59 PM
(22-11-2015 10:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 09:56 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Likewise

I do not need to disprove that which cannot be proven.
That's good cuz I don't have to disprove anything to know of God.
23-11-2015, 03:42 AM
(22-11-2015 11:59 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 10:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I do not need to disprove that which cannot be proven.
Enjoy your beliefs, so long as you are not trying to tell me I need to believe it then whatever floats your boat and makes you happy man.
23-11-2015, 03:54 AM
(22-11-2015 11:59 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 10:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I do not need to disprove that which cannot be proven.

However, in order to speak with any authority, you do!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-11-2015, 05:26 AM
(22-11-2015 02:59 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 12:37 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  Not everyone does well on their feet. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. They are slick and they are used to talking about it, so they have easy answers. It seems like they tried the trick of turning it on you to prove your position. If you encounter them again, remember that the burden on proof for god is on them and hold them to it.
There is no burden of proof on anyone but those who think that all is literally material. They wouldn't be expected to prove there is no God. But they would be expected to prove that all is material.

The "burden of proof" that their god exists is on the assholes who accosted the original poster on the street.

As usual, you have missed the point. No one cares if you believe in a bunch of inane woo. But if you insist on making claims in post after post about how your beliefs are universal truths, the burden of proof is on you to support your claims.

For me, and maybe for most here, "god" does not seem better, more explanatory, or more truthful than "we don't know yet, and we may never know, but we'll keep looking for the answers." And you haven't provided any evidence that shows belief in god has any benefits, personally or locally or globally.

Edited to add: no need for you to derail this thread, by the way: start another one, because you are taking things completely OFF TOPIC here.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
23-11-2015, 06:17 AM
(23-11-2015 05:26 AM)julep Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 02:59 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  There is no burden of proof on anyone but those who think that all is literally material. They wouldn't be expected to prove there is no God. But they would be expected to prove that all is material.

The "burden of proof" that their god exists is on the assholes who accosted the original poster on the street.

As usual, you have missed the point. No one cares if you believe in a bunch of inane woo. But if you insist on making claims in post after post about how your beliefs are universal truths, the burden of proof is on you to support your claims.

For me, and maybe for most here, "god" does not seem better, more explanatory, or more truthful than "we don't know yet, and we may never know, but we'll keep looking for the answers." And you haven't provided any evidence that shows belief in god has any benefits, personally or locally or globally.

Edited to add: no need for you to derail this thread, by the way: start another one, because you are taking things completely OFF TOPIC here.

Thanks julep Thumbsup
23-11-2015, 06:24 AM
(22-11-2015 09:43 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You claim there is no God, I claim there is. The burden is equal.

We've been over this many times. I am not claiming that there is no god. I claim only that I have found no evidence that leads me to believe that conclusion. Since you admit that you can provide no evidence you appear to have proven my point for me.

(23-11-2015 05:26 AM)julep Wrote:  Edited to add: no need for you to derail this thread, by the way: start another one, because you are taking things completely OFF TOPIC here.

That's a frequent modus operandi for Pops. He interrupts threads to post his baseless speculations and refuses to engage in any debate by providing support for his claims. I'd say he's easily reached troll status and offers nothing to the TTA community.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post