balancing of the scales

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 05:37 PM
RE: balancing of the scales
(05-04-2013 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 07:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The claim that there would come a time when you would not feel any pain assumes that suffering is quantized. If suffering is quantized then you are correct, it would be the same as suffering for X number of years. If suffering is not quantized then a finite amount of it could be stretched over an infinite time period.

If it is continuous, not quantized, there very quickly come a point where it is so minor as to be hardly pain at all.

You are correct, there would come a point where you hardly feel any pain at all....but you'd still feel it...for eternity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 06:10 PM
(05-04-2013 05:37 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  If it is continuous, not quantized, there very quickly come a point where it is so minor as to be hardly pain at all.

You are correct, there would come a point where you hardly feel any pain at all....but you'd still feel it...for eternity.

Do you think this is the case?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

05-04-2013, 06:19 PM
(05-04-2013 06:10 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 05:37 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You are correct, there would come a point where you hardly feel any pain at all....but you'd still feel it...for eternity.

Do you think this is the case?

I think that since I can come up with an eternal punishment that I find to be just, then God can come up with just eternal punishments as well.
05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
(05-04-2013 06:19 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 06:10 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Do you think this is the case?

I think that since I can come up with an eternal punishment that I find to be just, then God can come up with just eternal punishments as well.

Part of this is assuming god exists, what reason is there to do so?

05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
(05-04-2013 06:29 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 06:19 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I think that since I can come up with an eternal punishment that I find to be just, then God can come up with just eternal punishments as well.

Part of this is assuming god exists, what reason is there to do so?

For this discussion it is assumed, only for the sake of argumentation, that God exists.
05-04-2013, 07:02 PM
(05-04-2013 06:58 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 06:29 PM)Adenosis Wrote:  Part of this is assuming god exists, what reason is there to do so?

For this discussion it is assumed, only for the sake of argumentation, that God exists.

Fair enough.

If you can conceive of something, it is possible for this imagined vague entity to also conceive of it.

05-04-2013, 11:06 PM
(04-04-2013 11:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of atheists here have a problem with eternal damnation. They think it is unfair to punish somebody for eternity. Their thinking goes like this: Hitler, as bad as his actions were, his actions were finite so it would be unfair to give him an infinite amount of punishment. What these atheists fail to realize is that a finite amount of punishment can be spread over an inifinte amount of time.

Example: Suppose God judged Hitler and found that for his crimes against humanity Hitler deserves to endure X amount of pain. God then decides that the finite amount of pain Hitler is to endure be spread over an infinite time period. So God commands Lucifer that each year Hitler is in hell Hitler is to recieve only half of X. If X starts out as 1 trillion BTUs of heat or pain, Lucifer only dispenses a half trillion BTUs in the first year Hitler is in hell....that leaves Hitler with half a trillion BTUs to endure to satisfy his punishment. However, in the next year Lucifer only dispense a quarter trillion BTUs, in the third year Lucifer only dispenses an eighth and so on and so forth. Hitler never gets out of hell, his finite punishment goes on for eternity.

You know the problem with common sense? It ain't common. See, once upon a time, I thought it was natural for a prophet to be a theist. Then I read the Bible.

But one thing remains from being a "theist prophet." Come to my door associating god with hell, you just may be leaving with less teeth.

You wanna argue against atheists and evolutionary morality, but you continue to fail. That "golden rule" bullshit? That "need for justice?" That "sense of fair play?" That's all evolutionary. That's all empathic. There ain't no god in there. That's you. Your ego, demanding that, those who wronged you must be punished.

As for the punishment you might get from me, as dictated by scripture? Stoned to fucking death. But, that's it. And afterwards, it's all "return to god."

That shit in the NT? Fucking marketing. If one is "Christian," one is supposed to have accepted the Holy Spirit (same shit that spins up prophets), which makes it literally impossible to speak evil. So, if you're Christian, and yer talking about hell, there is only two possibilities:

You're talking to the unconverted.

-or-

You're talking out of your ass.

Now, why am I putting you in the second category? Huh

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-04-2013, 12:38 AM
(05-04-2013 11:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 11:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  A lot of atheists here have a problem with eternal damnation. They think it is unfair to punish somebody for eternity. Their thinking goes like this: Hitler, as bad as his actions were, his actions were finite so it would be unfair to give him an infinite amount of punishment. What these atheists fail to realize is that a finite amount of punishment can be spread over an inifinte amount of time.

Example: Suppose God judged Hitler and found that for his crimes against humanity Hitler deserves to endure X amount of pain. God then decides that the finite amount of pain Hitler is to endure be spread over an infinite time period. So God commands Lucifer that each year Hitler is in hell Hitler is to recieve only half of X. If X starts out as 1 trillion BTUs of heat or pain, Lucifer only dispenses a half trillion BTUs in the first year Hitler is in hell....that leaves Hitler with half a trillion BTUs to endure to satisfy his punishment. However, in the next year Lucifer only dispense a quarter trillion BTUs, in the third year Lucifer only dispenses an eighth and so on and so forth. Hitler never gets out of hell, his finite punishment goes on for eternity.

You know the problem with common sense? It ain't common. See, once upon a time, I thought it was natural for a prophet to be a theist. Then I read the Bible.

But one thing remains from being a "theist prophet." Come to my door associating god with hell, you just may be leaving with less teeth.

You wanna argue against atheists and evolutionary morality, but you continue to fail. That "golden rule" bullshit? That "need for justice?" That "sense of fair play?" That's all evolutionary. That's all empathic. There ain't no god in there. That's you. Your ego, demanding that, those who wronged you must be punished.

As for the punishment you might get from me, as dictated by scripture? Stoned to fucking death. But, that's it. And afterwards, it's all "return to god."

That shit in the NT? Fucking marketing. If one is "Christian," one is supposed to have accepted the Holy Spirit (same shit that spins up prophets), which makes it literally impossible to speak evil. So, if you're Christian, and yer talking about hell, there is only two possibilities:

-or-

When have I argued against evolutionary morality? You're making that up in lieu of an argument,
06-04-2013, 12:44 AM
(06-04-2013 12:38 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 11:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You know the problem with common sense? It ain't common. See, once upon a time, I thought it was natural for a prophet to be a theist. Then I read the Bible.

-or-

When have I argued against evolutionary morality? You're making that up in lieu of an argument,

You are arguing for evolutionary morality with the concept of eternal damnation. Speaking of which, you try to be all slippery and shit, saying you haven't qualified god - but what other god besides the "Christian God" has tools spouting that nonsense?

Come out of the bushes, so all can see you have no clothes.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2013, 12:49 AM
(06-04-2013 12:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 12:38 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  When have I argued against evolutionary morality? You're making that up in lieu of an argument,

You are arguing for evolutionary morality with the concept of eternal damnation. Speaking of which, you try to be all slippery and shit, saying you haven't qualified god - but what other god besides the "Christian God" has tools spouting that nonsense?

Come out of the bushes, so all can see you have no clothes.

I never claimed to believe in eternal damnation. I only claimed that a finite punishment could be spread over an infinite amount of time. Either your judgement is clouded by bigotary or your simply make stuff up because you find straw men easier to defeat then the actual arguments put in front of you.