being atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2016, 11:29 AM
being atheist
16 old become atheist because cave paintings.
7 year later thought I might live forever.
14 years later I share my secret to dealing with nothingness: what if our lifespan could be expanded?
don't ask me how, I will deal with this problem when I'm old.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2016, 11:32 AM
RE: being atheist
What about the cave paintings changed your mind?

Where you brought up in a religious house hold?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
01-11-2016, 11:39 AM
(01-11-2016 11:32 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  What about the cave paintings changed your mind?

Where you brought up in a religious house hold?

I was religious because of school where I head this good "teacher". the thing about the paintings is that there were religious but there were mostly animals there. I thought that if there was any divinity present, people would had record it, because it is important.
[+] 1 user Likes jebus's post
01-11-2016, 02:03 PM
(01-11-2016 11:39 AM)jebus Wrote:  I was religious because of school where I head this good "teacher". the thing about the paintings is that there were religious but there were mostly animals there. I thought that if there was any divinity present, people would have recorded it, because it is important.

Can I ask you what your opinion of the (purported) Shroud of Turin is?

Although it's been radiocarbon dated to the period 1260 to 1390—which is consistent with its first showing in France in 1357—it's still claimed by the RC church to be "a mirror of the Gospel" (whatever that means).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-11-2016, 04:06 PM
[/quote]

Can I ask you what your opinion of the (purported) Shroud of Turin is?

Although it's been radiocarbon dated to the period 1260 to 1390—which is consistent with its first showing in France in 1357—it's still claimed by the RC church to be "a mirror of the Gospel" (whatever that means).
[/quote]

i think it's a romantic view christians have on reality that remained unchanged since the dark ages. It's unrealistic because the crotch is hidden. mummies didn't need to cover their genitalia. since it resurrected, his hands should at least be around his chest. at least now children can see it. Censored
[+] 3 users Like jebus's post
06-11-2016, 01:24 AM
So you want to say that you fear death? I am thinking about death for a long time and it scares me as hell. But I thought about this:

I am now existent. My existence exists.

When I die my existence stops existing and instead my non-existence starts existing.

My non-existence is still characterized through me and therefore a part of me will always be in this world.

(to be continued in my mind probably, needs some polishing but already looks good)

Maybe it also helps that we simply don't know what happens after death even if there is no god. You can deny after-life as well but there are other options than monotheistic after life. For example being born into the same life again or that in the split second you are dying your whole life passes by in your mind again and therefore you are stuck in an eternal loop of getting reborn into the same life or many more options.

I personally believe (according to my experiences) that life is quite psychedelic and I find it very unlikely to end as a straight line from a start to an end. Yet there is no scientific evidence for an after-life I think it's somewhat of a cool thing to believe in it, even if it doesn't exist. Because that way we are using some of the strangest options this weird existence feeds us with.

Existence then created a mind which can believe in an after-life even if there isn't.

But after all it depends solely on you how you chose to handle this. I greatly appreciate any courageous atheist dying without ever accepting the belief in an after-life as it asks for enormous strength. But I also appreciate christians being so full of hope even if theres the whole scientific world against them providing no evidence whatsoever. Humans are fabolous beings and we should all be thankful for the gift of existence. Better to die without an after-life than to never be born, eh?

Last but not least to quote Epicurus:

"Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not"
[+] 1 user Likes Praying Birds's post
06-11-2016, 03:50 AM
@Praying Birds
thanks for reply, it was very nice. I wish my life was more psychedelic too Smokin. there's dealing with death, but biological immortality could be a possibility, something like this animal has https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii
I'm not a scientist, but I think little knowledge is better then false knowledge, like religion.
cheers
[+] 1 user Likes jebus's post
06-11-2016, 06:28 AM
(06-11-2016 01:24 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  So you want to say that you fear death? I am thinking about death for a long time and it scares me as hell. But I thought about this:

I am now existent. My existence exists.

When I die my existence stops existing and instead my non-existence starts existing.

That is a meaningless statement.

Quote:My non-existence is still characterized through me and therefore a part of me will always be in this world.

Therefore everything that doesn't exist exists? Consider

Quote:(to be continued in my mind probably, needs some polishing but already looks good)

No, it looks silly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
06-11-2016, 10:04 AM
The best part of being an atheist - is if you're doing it right --- you don't need to do anything at all...................

This frees up a lot of personal time...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-11-2016, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2016 11:58 AM by Praying Birds.)
(06-11-2016 06:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  Therefore everything that doesn't exist exists? Consider

You can not think of something totally not existing. Yet it's also a matter of locality.

Also did I not say I still exist, I said my non-existence would exist which is characterized through the lack of me (to be a little more precise). Without me never being in a world there can not ever be a lack of me there. Yet I am part of existence now and probably will cease to exist later.