being atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: being atheist
I try to live life now. This idea that when I get out of College I'll be entering this 'real world' idea is the boulder I look to get over. I try not to think that I'm doing something wrong. The present is a place to be, don't play to quickly for the future as you grow up sure fears will be there, but try to stay positive your living now and you have memories.

When you're laying there dying try and remember back on those good times. Remember that you found yourself, shoudl ther ebe a God then you can look him in the eye and show your life with confidence. You lived it to the best, your only human and if this God can't take it hey you got of party waiting down stairs XD

It also helps to have a sense of humor when it comes to fear. Because I know when I die I can look back on the good times and know my non existence won't be something to be scared of because I won't remember anything. The fear of dying becomes meaningless when you realize that you won't be there to see it. *Shrugs*

Doesn't make much sense, but it helps confuse my mind to the point I forget what I was worried about XD

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2017, 04:01 PM
(22-02-2017 07:21 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  It's weird when people (most believers) ask "Aren't you afraid of dying?". Not really no.

I'm not afraid of death, which I consider nothing at all, but I'm still afraid of dying. Most ways of dying are painful, which is why I try to avoid them.
25-02-2017, 04:18 PM
I’m afraid of not living my life to the fullest. Confused

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
25-02-2017, 04:22 PM
(25-02-2017 04:01 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 07:21 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  It's weird when people (most believers) ask "Aren't you afraid of dying?". Not really no.

I'm not afraid of death, which I consider nothing at all, but I'm still afraid of dying. Most ways of dying are painful, which is why I try to avoid them.

We all are born with a basic survival instinct. I'm not afraid of death though I'm not looking forward to dying. Mostly because I'd kind of like to hang around here and learn as much as I can before the inevitable happens. We are dying from the moment we are born. When that happens is left up to circumstance. I find it ironic that those that do believe they are going to go to this wonderful place for all eternity are in no hurry to get there? That's where the basic survival instinct kicks in and where they rationalize that it's against God's will (some religions excluded obviously).
But the thought of death doesn't bother me. I'll just cease to be. I already know that if I don't die in some form of accident that I will most likely die of some form of cancer due to my job and all the chemicals I've been exposed to. I'm 400% more likely to get certain forms of cancer than the normal population due to being a Firefighter. But that was the risk I accepted when I took the job. It is what it is. I'm certainly not looking forward to it. But on the flip side of that coin it makes each day that I live worth living. We will all die. Enjoy the time we have because we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
25-02-2017, 04:27 PM
(22-02-2017 07:21 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  It's weird when people (most believers) ask "Aren't you afraid of dying?".

I'm afraid of dying, since that can be quite ugly. I'm not afraid of death. Ask me what I remember about the 50ies. Nothing, because I haven't been around. Same with being dead. It just reverses birth.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
25-02-2017, 04:38 PM
(25-02-2017 04:22 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I'm not afraid of death though I'm not looking forward to dying. Mostly because I'd kind of like to hang around here and learn as much as I can before the inevitable happens.

I wouldn't care to be around to see what happens to our poor planet when climate change really kicks in with a vengence. Plus the world is already getting much too crowded.

I will be happy enough to bow out at some point, knowing I had a fair run.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
25-02-2017, 04:39 PM
(25-02-2017 04:27 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 07:21 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  It's weird when people (most believers) ask "Aren't you afraid of dying?".

I'm afraid of dying, since that can be quite ugly. I'm not afraid of death. Ask me what I remember about the 50ies. Nothing, because I haven't been around. Same with being dead. It just reverses birth.

Exactly. I don't remember anything before I was born so it stands to reason that I won't remember anything after I cease to exist. And I agree... The process of death can be quite ugly. I've seen enough death to last three lifetimes. But looking at it from "my" personal perspective the thought of death doesn't scare me. The process does give me some pause.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post