belief?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 10:44 AM
belief?
I often read or hear the line 'You should respect my belief' as a way to address uncomfortable questions. Shouldn't one be prepared to support his claim when a belief is presented as fact in a public forum?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: belief?
(28-03-2014 10:44 AM)mknight Wrote:  I often read or hear the line 'You should respect my belief' as a way to address uncomfortable questions. Shouldn't one be prepared to support his claim when a belief is presented as fact in a public forum?

It is usually a dodge and is meant to say "I have not thought through my deepest held beliefs and neither should you".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-03-2014, 10:49 AM
(28-03-2014 10:44 AM)mknight Wrote:  I often read or hear the line 'You should respect my belief' as a way to address uncomfortable questions. Shouldn't one be prepared to support his claim when a belief is presented as fact in a public forum?

I always answer with "Why?"

Why on earth should I respect your beliefs? I will give you respect so long as you deserve it, but your belief system is fair game. Especially when you come to our house and challenge our views.

I will only respect ideas that have merit and can't take seriously any beliefs that have nothing more than "feels" to back them up.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-03-2014, 10:52 AM
(28-03-2014 10:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

It is usually a dodge and is meant to say "I have not thought through my deepest held beliefs and neither should you".
Some are also uncomfortable revealing the source of their beliefs.
28-03-2014, 10:55 AM
(28-03-2014 10:52 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is usually a dodge and is meant to say "I have not thought through my deepest held beliefs and neither should you".
Some are also uncomfortable revealing the source of their beliefs.

Especially considering the answer is a guy in a dress told me.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-03-2014, 10:59 AM
(28-03-2014 10:49 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  

I always answer with "Why?"

Why on earth should I respect your beliefs? I will give you respect so long as you deserve it, but your belief system is fair game. Especially when you come to our house and challenge our views.

I will only respect ideas that have merit and can't take seriously any beliefs that have nothing more than "feels" to back them up.
What do you mean by 'your belief system is fair game'?
28-03-2014, 11:06 AM
(28-03-2014 10:59 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:49 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I always answer with "Why?"

What do you mean by 'your belief system is fair game'?

Sorry, that wasn't specifically directed at you. It is, however, directed at any belief system. Simply because someone believes in something, doesn't mean it is deserving of my respect.

It's an "evidence or GTFO" thing for me. If there is nothing to substantiate the belief system, it gets no respect.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-03-2014, 11:06 AM
(28-03-2014 10:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of people get deeply offended if you put their beliefs under scrutiny, and I think they feel they actually have a right to protect their beliefs from scrutiny.
28-03-2014, 11:09 AM
(28-03-2014 11:06 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:59 AM)mknight Wrote:  What do you mean by 'your belief system is fair game'?

Sorry, that wasn't specifically directed at you. It is, however, directed at any belief system. Simply because someone believes in something, doesn't mean it is deserving of my respect.

It's an "evidence or GTFO" thing for me. If there is nothing to substantiate the belief system, it gets no respect.
I understand.
28-03-2014, 11:14 AM
(28-03-2014 11:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is usually a dodge and is meant to say "I have not thought through my deepest held beliefs and neither should you".

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of people get deeply offended if you put their beliefs under scrutiny, and I think they feel they actually have a right to protect their beliefs from scrutiny.
Yes, but why is that? I mean most must surely realize that the best way to protect these beliefs is to keep them private. Do they somehow think that, while they seek validation, they won't encounter objections?
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post