Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 10:35 PM
RE: belief?
(28-03-2014 02:50 PM)Charis Wrote:  I think a lot of this idea of "respecting my beliefs" brings with it the idea that this "respect" has to be the FUNERAL version of respect. At a funeral, you don't usually say anything disrespectful or skeptical of the deceased. You keep a reverential tone, a hushed sympathetic manner, and if anything unpleasant about the deceased is to be said, it's generally very muted and only said within earshot of select people in attendance.

This is "paying your respects" or "being respectful" at a funeral. Unfortunately, this also seems to be the same level of "being respectful" that Theists expect of their opinions in the public forum, as if the very CONCEPT of a debate on "Godly things" is treading very dangerously on "holy ground."

At least, that's how I think those people are coming across with their austere version of the "respect" that they demand.

Disclaimer: KC, I hope you know I'm not including you in all that.
I think that victims of convenient illusions should be handled with care
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2014 10:46 PM by mknight.)
RE: belief?
(28-03-2014 02:23 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 12:33 PM)mknight Wrote:  So you make the distinction between dangerous and 'too' dangerous; I don't.

No. You asked if there was an idea that I considered too dangerous. I expressed ignorance of what you meant by "too" dangerous, made a guess about what you were asking, and answered as best I could in that context.

(28-03-2014 01:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  FC, that would be venomous not venemous. Thumbsup

..... tell you what, have this out and I'll agree with one of you after your 50-post spat. Thumbsup

(28-03-2014 12:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Killing people is ok if they are the wrong group (see race religion clan family caste etc)

.... you're just begging to have someone quote mine that for their sig, aren't you?
Right, in any case, I don't consider ideas to be dangerous
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply