"bible belt"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 10:07 AM
"bible belt"
I now live in Tulsa,OK, being from San Francisco,it's hard to take as being real', larry z
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like larry's post
27-09-2012, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 05:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: "bible belt"
(27-09-2012 10:07 AM)larry Wrote:  I now live in Tulsa,OK, being from San Francisco,it's hard to take as being real', larry z

My condolences. Weeping
Why Jeebus, why ?
No way I'm EVER leaving SoCal.

Edit : AT least the crazies here in Lala Land are at least as likely to be some sort of New Age woo woo, as crazy fundie stuff.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I moved to Texas from S. Calif. 36 years ago, it's still hard to believe this is real. Although this part of Texas is not (unless this has reciently changed) offically zoned to the Bible Belt, it certainly feels like it, having some of the largest churches in the world.
27-09-2012, 05:54 PM
What is this bible belt you peeps talk about?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
27-09-2012, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 06:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-09-2012 05:54 PM)nach_in Wrote:  What is this bible belt you peeps talk about?

Originally, (I think), it was a derogatory take-off from "sun-belt", "citrus-belt" (the South, Florida sunshine etc), and applied to the Southern tier of states, since fundamentalism flourishes there. Be happy you're not there. Various places claim to be the "buckle" of the Bible belt .. ie THE worst place.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-09-2012, 06:17 PM
(27-09-2012 05:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 05:54 PM)nach_in Wrote:  What is this bible belt you peeps talk about?

Originally, (I think), it was a derogatory take-off of from "sun-belt", "citrus-belt" (the South, Florida sunshine etc), and applied to the Southern tier of states, since fundamentalism flourishes there. Be happy you're not there. Various places claim to be the "buckle" of the Bible belt .. ie THE worst place.

Oh, I see... it amazes me the level of fundamentalism in the US Shocking

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
27-09-2012, 06:19 PM
(27-09-2012 10:07 AM)larry Wrote:  I now live in Tulsa,OK, being from San Francisco,it's hard to take as being real', larry z

Ouch, I know how this feels. I moved from a hub to a belt in Canada and it was a tough three years. I made some good friends, but the daily grind sucked and that's why I'm here (on the forums). I have a feeling your post count might go up.

(27-09-2012 10:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

My condolences. Weeping
Why Jeebus, why ?

Edit : AT least the crazies here in Lala Land are at least as likely to be some sort of New Age woo woo, as crazy fundie stuff.

Isn't this also a major hub of some sort for conventions and large tele-vangels? Some people I know go there all the time for revival (I don't know what that means, but they come back sooo brainwashed every time, high on Jebus.)
27-09-2012, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 07:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-09-2012 06:19 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  

Ouch, I know how this feels. I moved from a hub to a belt in Canada and it was a tough three years. I made some good friends, but the daily grind sucked and that's why I'm here (on the forums). I have a feeling your post count might go up.

(27-09-2012 10:09 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My condolences. Weeping
Why Jeebus, why ?

Isn't this also a major hub of some sort for conventions and large tele-vangels? Some people I know go there all the time for revival (I don't know what that means, but they come back sooo brainwashed every time, high on Jebus.)

Oh, you betcha baby. But at least there's a dilution effect here, as population density is high.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Just don't make your next move to SC! Egads...what a place for a freethinker to avoid.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-09-2012, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 07:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-09-2012 07:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Just don't make your next move to SC! Egads...what a place for a freethinker to avoid.

Ehrman says that IS the buckle. I'd like to take a class from him.