bible is a powerful book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2015, 08:16 PM
bible is a powerful book
I'm an atheist/agnostic/heathen, whatever I don't like labels. The only thing I believe is the foreskin is holy and my religion demands protection of all foreskins and I demand my religious rights.

Anyway few people myself included especially until recently understood how powerful the bible (or Koran) is for that matter, in terms of enchanting people. It's so powerful in so many ways. Maybe others can contribute to the thread.

It presumes to know and explain all of creation. For the weak minded, they'll buy this story even if it doesn't make sense or is incongruent. Do you expect them to dig and go through every bit to check it for logic? It offers an explanation, to catch the really weak and superstitious.

It's written in powerful language. This statement has multiple meanings. That it's written in a foreign and old language, in a different alphabet no less, makes it mystical and powerful to the weak minded. When it is written in english, it's often written and spoken in old (or technically middle english) and that sounds ancient and venerable. Thou shallt not kill. King James. It's language is also the powerful language of 'prophecy' to catch the weak minded, and also some intense legalese, which doesn't impress a lawyer per se but the average bloke and especially the weak minded. The language of revelation or ezekiel or daniel is highly symbolic and numeric and gives the weak minded and distractible a lot to chew on. It has so much language- 66 long books, that people feel there must be something of value in it. Jesus's language (the language or words imputed to him at least) is really powerful and stark. Stark actually means 'strong' in German. The Torah of the old testament is actually kind of a tribal 'constitution' as it were- a basic law, binding. Weak minds are impressed by this, who are unfamiliar with their own law, which is more profitable to study for their own advancement.

Then the stories and characters are powerful. There's something for everyone, and the messages and meta message is powerful. There's a powerful incentive for hebrews to believe, to believe they are special too. God the creator chose a group from among the nations, and blessed them. The ancient hebrews or israelites. He promised them so much, and he repeated that, and he said they were blessed and protected, even though abraham pimped his wife twice and walked away with plunder, even though jacob fooled his elder brother and father once each through trickery. Even though so many schenanigans happened, they're assured they're blessed (i.e. immune from judgmeent). this is a powerful meta message that still lives to this day and not just in the eyes of their descendants but worse gentiles are beguiled by it. It produces unchecked philo-semitism, which spells pain for the Palestinians and is a major contributor to anti-semitism in my humble opinion. No one deserves prejudice but no one deserves immunity or such bible based veneration.

It appeals to the masses and the ill disposed in the same way that communism does, to those who have no share or stake in the world, though many could have one if they worked and were ambitious. It's better to start when your'e young, if you can be wise at an early age, or lucky. But the bible promises great things to those who foresake riches and success. Like Nietzsche says, buddhism promises nothing and doesn't disappoint, the bible promises everything and doesn't deliver. So part of the bible can be though of as pseudo-communist, appealing to the have nots and the weak in the mind. It can appeal to the passive aggressive instinct as well- well, you're going to burn in hell. When I speak of the bible I am speaking generally so in this case it applies to more 'christian' believes whereas in other places I am referring to more jewish beliefs or judeo-christian or cromwell like protestants. It's a powerful book, or net, that you only have to get stuck in one part, and then you technically buy into all of it, and then they inject you with poison programming wherever they can- the religious establishment. I hate to use the P word- parasite. I won't use it. I won't use it but I think about using it. I can't use it, but I can't avoid thinking about it. But society chooses religion- at least in the US. Not in Germany or England, at least among the natives. They reject religion, en masse. But in america, we choose religion. It's because the bible is so powerful a book. It gives people a lifetime of material to study and figure out, though not necessarily of any use. I am more drawn as I get older to that which is of use. And love and sex and money. They are NOT my idols. But they are better than the alternatives- knowledge for its own sake, mental masturbation. They are things to shoot for, human needs and means, that start you on a journey. And I've got hobbies. I am for talents. I will start archery, and I've taken up the mandolin, in addition to going for my CPA and so on.

I get depressed, because there's emptiness in my life yet- though I am truly grateful for all I do have and it is a lot. But there's social emptiness and career emptiness too a little bit. There's a poverty and poverty of any kind can lead to depression. We all want to belong. I think I'm past the point of being vulnerable to the bible though I drank religion in deep. I am hard against it, yet as hard as I am against it now, I am soft on the people who believe, understanding the condition. I can't judge them or use hard words. I just say I think religion is man made.

And the koran too is powerful. I've read parts of it. Powerful. Also an ancient language, a foreign language and complicated. The beginning verse or sura is powerful. The very first verse, I challenge you to look it up. That's powerful. There's so much to stimulate the imagination, which can be our best friend but can also be our worst enemy. There's so much in these books to feed our imagination. And children- they just soak it up- by design. Ahem by evolutionary "design."

Those who scoff at the power of the bible are not aware of the power of the bible- maybe not to use who are along in our journey but think of children, think of the honest simple folk, of whom I admire actually. And there's belongingness, the human desire to belong and the willingness to conform, and group polarization and group identity, and force, which was used in the past, and tax breaks. It can present a powerful case. In making propaganda against an enemy in war, it's better when you're putting out propaganda to your own people or own side, not to make the enemy seem weak and helpless. Then when they face him and he's strong, your own side will be confused, mistrust you and maybe even demoralized. No, just be honest but if you must, err on the side of making him appear strong, without appearing unbeatable. Let them know what they can expect. The bible is a powerful book of mind-spells.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 01:40 AM
RE: bible is a powerful book
I admit my frustration is to often directed at the believer and not the belief. But I guess I am that way because as someone who never truly believed, I struggle to understand why so many so readily accept what to me seems so obviously fake, wrong and quite frankly, stupid.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
07-04-2015, 05:21 AM
While there is some powerful language in some translations of those books, most adherents of the religions have read, or even heard, a very small fraction of them. The holy books weren't even accessible to people unless they spoke a particular language until fairly recently.

The stories and concepts aren't convincing, either. They have to be repeated and interpreted over and over to have an effect.

So, no, I don't agree with your premise. The power lies in the indoctrination and threats of those in power - parents, imams, priests, rabbis, etc.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
07-04-2015, 05:44 AM
(07-04-2015 05:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  While there is some powerful language in some translations of those books, most adherents of the religions have read, or even heard, a very small fraction of them. The holy books weren't even accessible to people unless they spoke a particular language until fairly recently.

The stories and concepts aren't convincing, either. They have to be repeated and interpreted over and over to have an effect.

So, no, I don't agree with your premise. The power lies in the indoctrination and threats of those in power - parents, imams, priests, rabbis, etc.

Swap out the Bible for the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and you bet your ass you can convince children of the existence of Cthulhu. Give it enough time and with a large enough pool of children, and you'll have ones claiming to have experienced his presence personally.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-04-2015, 07:40 AM
I saw the word "foreskin" and stopped reading. What the fuck is your obsession with foreskins? Nobody cares. Get over it.
07-04-2015, 08:59 AM
(07-04-2015 05:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Swap out the Bible for the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and you bet your ass you can convince children of the existence of Cthulhu. Give it enough time and with a large enough pool of children, and you'll have ones claiming to have experienced his presence personally.

This sounds like a job for EMPRICISM! Yes

EDIT: Noticed the typo as soon as I posted, decided to keep it for giggles.
07-04-2015, 09:37 AM
(06-04-2015 08:16 PM)viking Wrote:  I'm an atheist/agnostic/heathen, whatever I don't like labels. The only thing I believe is the foreskin is holy and my religion demands protection of all foreskins and I demand my religious rights.

Anyway few people myself included especially until recently understood how powerful the bible (or Koran) is for that matter, in terms of enchanting people. It's so powerful in so many ways. Maybe others can contribute to the thread.

It presumes to know and explain all of creation. For the weak minded, they'll buy this story even if it doesn't make sense or is incongruent. Do you expect them to dig and go through every bit to check it for logic? It offers an explanation, to catch the really weak and superstitious.

It's written in powerful language. This statement has multiple meanings. That it's written in a foreign and old language, in a different alphabet no less, makes it mystical and powerful to the weak minded. When it is written in english, it's often written and spoken in old (or technically middle english) and that sounds ancient and venerable. Thou shallt not kill. King James. It's language is also the powerful language of 'prophecy' to catch the weak minded, and also some intense legalese, which doesn't impress a lawyer per se but the average bloke and especially the weak minded. The language of revelation or ezekiel or daniel is highly symbolic and numeric and gives the weak minded and distractible a lot to chew on. It has so much language- 66 long books, that people feel there must be something of value in it. Jesus's language (the language or words imputed to him at least) is really powerful and stark. Stark actually means 'strong' in German. The Torah of the old testament is actually kind of a tribal 'constitution' as it were- a basic law, binding. Weak minds are impressed by this, who are unfamiliar with their own law, which is more profitable to study for their own advancement.

Then the stories and characters are powerful. There's something for everyone, and the messages and meta message is powerful. There's a powerful incentive for hebrews to believe, to believe they are special too. God the creator chose a group from among the nations, and blessed them. The ancient hebrews or israelites. He promised them so much, and he repeated that, and he said they were blessed and protected, even though abraham pimped his wife twice and walked away with plunder, even though jacob fooled his elder brother and father once each through trickery. Even though so many schenanigans happened, they're assured they're blessed (i.e. immune from judgmeent). this is a powerful meta message that still lives to this day and not just in the eyes of their descendants but worse gentiles are beguiled by it. It produces unchecked philo-semitism, which spells pain for the Palestinians and is a major contributor to anti-semitism in my humble opinion. No one deserves prejudice but no one deserves immunity or such bible based veneration.

It appeals to the masses and the ill disposed in the same way that communism does, to those who have no share or stake in the world, though many could have one if they worked and were ambitious. It's better to start when your'e young, if you can be wise at an early age, or lucky. But the bible promises great things to those who foresake riches and success. Like Nietzsche says, buddhism promises nothing and doesn't disappoint, the bible promises everything and doesn't deliver. So part of the bible can be though of as pseudo-communist, appealing to the have nots and the weak in the mind. It can appeal to the passive aggressive instinct as well- well, you're going to burn in hell. When I speak of the bible I am speaking generally so in this case it applies to more 'christian' believes whereas in other places I am referring to more jewish beliefs or judeo-christian or cromwell like protestants. It's a powerful book, or net, that you only have to get stuck in one part, and then you technically buy into all of it, and then they inject you with poison programming wherever they can- the religious establishment. I hate to use the P word- parasite. I won't use it. I won't use it but I think about using it. I can't use it, but I can't avoid thinking about it. But society chooses religion- at least in the US. Not in Germany or England, at least among the natives. They reject religion, en masse. But in america, we choose religion. It's because the bible is so powerful a book. It gives people a lifetime of material to study and figure out, though not necessarily of any use. I am more drawn as I get older to that which is of use. And love and sex and money. They are NOT my idols. But they are better than the alternatives- knowledge for its own sake, mental masturbation. They are things to shoot for, human needs and means, that start you on a journey. And I've got hobbies. I am for talents. I will start archery, and I've taken up the mandolin, in addition to going for my CPA and so on.

I get depressed, because there's emptiness in my life yet- though I am truly grateful for all I do have and it is a lot. But there's social emptiness and career emptiness too a little bit. There's a poverty and poverty of any kind can lead to depression. We all want to belong. I think I'm past the point of being vulnerable to the bible though I drank religion in deep. I am hard against it, yet as hard as I am against it now, I am soft on the people who believe, understanding the condition. I can't judge them or use hard words. I just say I think religion is man made.

And the koran too is powerful. I've read parts of it. Powerful. Also an ancient language, a foreign language and complicated. The beginning verse or sura is powerful. The very first verse, I challenge you to look it up. That's powerful. There's so much to stimulate the imagination, which can be our best friend but can also be our worst enemy. There's so much in these books to feed our imagination. And children- they just soak it up- by design. Ahem by evolutionary "design."

Those who scoff at the power of the bible are not aware of the power of the bible- maybe not to use who are along in our journey but think of children, think of the honest simple folk, of whom I admire actually. And there's belongingness, the human desire to belong and the willingness to conform, and group polarization and group identity, and force, which was used in the past, and tax breaks. It can present a powerful case. In making propaganda against an enemy in war, it's better when you're putting out propaganda to your own people or own side, not to make the enemy seem weak and helpless. Then when they face him and he's strong, your own side will be confused, mistrust you and maybe even demoralized. No, just be honest but if you must, err on the side of making him appear strong, without appearing unbeatable. Let them know what they can expect. The bible is a powerful book of mind-spells.

Powerful book? Naaaah. The Bible is written in a self important manner to make it sound profound and like super deep. The Bible is full of shit.

You too can write in the Bible style. Here's a sample....

"...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu..."

See?

Thank you Monty P.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
07-04-2015, 09:41 AM
(07-04-2015 09:37 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-04-2015 08:16 PM)viking Wrote:  I'm an atheist/agnostic/heathen, whatever I don't like labels. The only thing I believe is the foreskin is holy and my religion demands protection of all foreskins and I demand my religious rights.

Powerful book? Naaaah. The Bible is written in a self important manner to make it sound profound and like super deep. The Bible is full of shit.

You too can write in the Bible style. Here's a sample....

"...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu..."

See?

Thank you Monty P.

Not the Orangutans! Tongue
07-04-2015, 09:56 AM
The bible isn't even a good toilet paper .
Saying is a powerful book is a wild claim.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
07-04-2015, 10:08 AM
I always liked 'The Prophet' by Gibran. The translation I remember was romantic and mystic. Some quotes seemed very profound. Yet it is most moving by what you read into it, not what was written or what was originally meant.

One cockroach at a time.