billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2014, 04:54 PM
billboard
Yesterday, I was on the way to a robotics competition in southeast Texas (bible belt), and I saw a billboard that really pissed me off. It had a the classic evolution picture of primates to humans over time in a red circle with a slash through it, and said "In the beginning God created".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: billboard
Why was this offensive? There are people who read that in genesis, and some of those have political power. Either

A) this is a YEC prosletyzing
or
B) someone trying to make people aware of the push for creationism in schools.
26-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I found this offensive because now they are taking religion out of there homes and into public, by slandering a scientifically proven theory.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheos666's post
26-01-2014, 05:22 PM
As long as the billboard is privately owned and put up with private money ignore it. I pass no less than three of these things each day.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
26-01-2014, 05:27 PM
I understand that it is there right to put up the billboard, but it still upsets me, especially since I have to deal with that type of stuff every day
26-01-2014, 05:34 PM
It is frustrating when it's in your face where you go. I lived in a small town awhile ago and many corners of the blocks had benches with ads on them, and half of them (the ads) were from the biggest local church. Couldn't get away from it on a simple trip to the store.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
26-01-2014, 07:05 PM
(26-01-2014 05:07 PM)natachan Wrote:  Why was this offensive? There are people who read that in genesis, and some of those have political power. Either

A) this is a YEC prosletyzing
or
B) someone trying to make people aware of the push for creationism in schools.

Yeah, but aren't they both rather offensive?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

26-01-2014, 07:07 PM
(26-01-2014 05:27 PM)Atheos666 Wrote:  I understand that it is there right to put up the billboard, but it still upsets me, especially since I have to deal with that type of stuff every day

Burn it down. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-01-2014, 07:15 PM
As much as I would like to, I don't think that would help the case that the religous seem to have that atheists are immoral
26-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Re: billboard
That image (progression of the primates) should be erased from human memory anyway. IMHO it deserves to be on billboards with the red circle and strike through. It's right up there with Haekel's embryos as a ready made strawman for the CreatIds.