blaming god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 03:39 PM
blaming god
Its not secret at work I'm an atheist, this girl started asking me questions about if I don't believe in god then how do I stay sane? Huh?

She asked who do you lay your burdens on? And who do you blame when bad things happen. She used the example of crops not growing and the community doesn't have enough food who do you blame? The person that was supposed to grow the crops then everyone would GWR mad that person and koxk Jim out. I truly and not understanding her logic. But I tried.

My reply is that I take responsibility for my own actions and don't ble god or anyone else. And as far as her example I told her that that didn't make sense as I'm sure it's not up to one person to grow crops the the entire community.

Then she asked 'aren't you sad that there isn't something else there that you can turn too?'

To which I replied that no it's liberating to know that I have only myself to keep myself in check and I don't need something like religion to make good deciaions .

She keep on saying that it seems like it would be sad not have someone or something to lay her burdens on. In other words blame god for the bad things.

So am I missing something as I'm not totally understanding where she is coming from. I get the parr about blaming god but what I don't get is why would it be sad?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
30-07-2015, 04:01 PM
RE: blaming god
(30-07-2015 03:39 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  So am I missing something as I'm not totally understanding where she is coming from. I get the parr about blaming god but what I don't get is why would it be sad?

I can only guess that, for her, it likely is because it would mean that the universe doesn't care about her. Good things happen, bad things happen, and in a million years no one will care, the universe won't care. It makes her feel small and insignificant, potentially worthless, because not everything is there so she can live her life.

Another possibility is that without a god to blame, she'd have to accept responsibility for her own actions, and acknowledge that sometimes bad stuff just happens, and she doesn't know how to handle that, so it would be sad because she figure you can't handle it either and just put up a brave front.

All of that is wild speculation, of course. The religious can look at a document that says "treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself" and then decide that means slavery is just fine, so... looking for logic here is not likely to work out.
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
30-07-2015, 04:04 PM
I've never known a single religious person who blamed god because something went wrong in their life. God has it perfect, he gets all the credit and none of the blame. It's written into the narrative.

Pretty sure most would find such a line of questioning utter bullshit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-07-2015, 04:29 PM
(30-07-2015 04:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've never known a single religious person who blamed god because something went wrong in their life. God has it perfect, he gets all the credit and none of the blame. It's written into the narrative.

Pretty sure most would find such a line of questioning utter bullshit.

That's what I was thinking because it didn't make sense to me. Thanks
30-07-2015, 04:31 PM
I think she is talking about being able to process bad things happening to her by either asking for divine help (laying her burdens on god), or by seeing the bad things as a lesson/test from god to help her be a better person, or by seeing the devil at work in having bad things happen. The idea that one's whole life is a test of sorts, that "everything happens for a reason," is both reassuring and self-aggrandizing. After all, to her way of thinking, god won't give her a test she can't pass, and also, she's important enough in the universe so that god has decided to test her.

It's all bullshit, of course, but for a lot of people it feels better to see difficulties as a test, because there's an element of control there. If they have the right attitude, etc., they'll pass the test and be better for it, at least in the next life. Random circumstance, on the other hand, isn't controllable.

The feeling of control is something that I think all humans seek, for reasons of mastery and comfort, and all of us probably have less control over what happens to us than we want to think.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
30-07-2015, 04:41 PM
(30-07-2015 04:31 PM)julep Wrote:  I think she is talking about being able to process bad things happening to her by either asking for divine help (laying her burdens on god), or by seeing the bad things as a lesson/test from god to help her be a better person, or by seeing the devil at work in having bad things happen. The idea that one's whole life is a test of sorts, that "everything happens for a reason," is both reassuring and self-aggrandizing. After all, to her way of thinking, god won't give her a test she can't pass, and also, she's important enough in the universe so that god has decided to test her.

It's all bullshit, of course, but for a lot of people it feels better to see difficulties as a test, because there's an element of control there. If they have the right attitude, etc., they'll pass the test and be better for it, at least in the next life. Random circumstance, on the other hand, isn't controllable.

The feeling of control is something that I think all humans seek, for reasons of mastery and comfort, and all of us probably have less control over what happens to us than we want to think.

Yes thank you. I think you hit the nail on the head. I can understand this better.
30-07-2015, 09:25 PM
(30-07-2015 03:39 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Its not secret at work I'm an atheist, this girl started asking me questions about if I don't believe in god then how do I stay sane? Huh?

She asked who do you lay your burdens on? And who do you blame when bad things happen. She used the example of crops not growing and the community doesn't have enough food who do you blame? The person that was supposed to grow the crops then everyone would GWR mad that person and koxk Jim out. I truly and not understanding her logic. But I tried.

My reply is that I take responsibility for my own actions and don't ble god or anyone else. And as far as her example I told her that that didn't make sense as I'm sure it's not up to one person to grow crops the the entire community.

Then she asked 'aren't you sad that there isn't something else there that you can turn too?'

To which I replied that no it's liberating to know that I have only myself to keep myself in check and I don't need something like religion to make good deciaions .

She keep on saying that it seems like it would be sad not have someone or something to lay her burdens on. In other words blame god for the bad things.

So am I missing something as I'm not totally understanding where she is coming from. I get the parr about blaming god but what I don't get is why would it be sad?

This is a woman who has completely and totally abdicated her mind. Don't waste your time on her.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
30-07-2015, 10:13 PM
(30-07-2015 09:25 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 03:39 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Its not secret at work I'm an atheist, this girl started asking me questions about if I don't believe in god then how do I stay sane? Huh?

This is a woman who has completely and totally abdicated her mind. Don't waste your time on her.

I didn't start the conversation, she did. She asked me all these questions so I am wanting to assume she has been thinking. Wink