blazebots "happy a HS Valedictorian rips up speech and talks "god", and prays.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2013, 07:01 AM
RE: blazebots "happy a HS Valedictorian rips up speech and talks "god", and prays.
I think I would be a lot more sad [that I never hear from "god"] if "god" was a female deity instead of a male tribal war god. But since I'm not one who would ever condone the mass execution of non-combatants, I'm good with "not being communitcated with".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 07:20 AM
RE: blazebots "happy a HS Valedictorian rips up speech and talks "god", and prays.
I just went over there now . . . . . and it is up to 421 posts!!! Into 10 pages worth of "patting this guy on the back for his boldness". As I said on there. . . . . "it isn't like he did this in Iran. . . . it's freakin' SOUTH CAROLINA!!"
06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Actually, what he did was rather unethical. The school requires that speeches be approved. He knew this. He agreed upon an existing approved speech. He went against it and did his own thing. What message is that for the students to learn?
[+] 3 users Like DeavonReye's post
06-06-2013, 08:11 AM
How quickly would they have shut him down for an unapproved atheist/humanist speech? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh, . . . their [theblazebots] thing is that "the school mandated that no religious speech be included because of issues with those who didn't want religious stuff" because they ARE atheist/secular, . . . so this kid's speech was a "good ol' punch in the face for those godless atheists who don't want god in the schools".

However, I wonder what kind of response it would have gotten [from the audience and theBlaze.com readers] if it would have been a MUSLIM who "felt in his heart that he needed to say a prayer to Allah"? There would have been no mention of "his courage", . . . but outrage.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
06-06-2013, 09:54 AM
(06-06-2013 07:54 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Actually, what he did was rather unethical. The school requires that speeches be approved. He knew this. He agreed upon an existing approved speech. He went against it and did his own thing. What message is that for the students to learn?

As long as they all preach to the choir it's ok.

Now had someone tore up their orignal speech and talked about atheism...

Oooooh...

Weeping

They would have burned him in effigy and withheld his diploma. Thats the lack of vision people have when they believe they're justified.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
How despicable, and immoral.
Security should have ushered him off the stage, and shut of the microphone.
Using a captive audience to attempt to blatantly curry favor.
I'm always prepared to walk out of anything that even begins to go in that direction, except a funeral/memorial service. I was at a donors dinner with dad last year, and all of a sudden this fool starts with the "lets join hands and pray" crap. My dad gave him hell, apologized to me, and I said, "excuse me, I need to use the restroom".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
What the kid SHOULD have done [since it was premeditated] was to say, "I know it is against the rules, but I plan on giving thanks to my god, . . . ", . . . then taken what might have come to him. Instead, he wasn't honest, . . . agreed to the speech, . . . yet did his own thing. THAT is the issue at hand.
06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I have to go to my kid's graduation in a few days...

I really don't want to walk out...

Undecided

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Who gives a fuck? He isnt employed by the school, so there isnt really much anyone can do. I support his 1st Amendment rights.

So none of you did a senior prank? He did, and he's trolling people he dosent even know on a message forum.