blazebots "happy a HS Valedictorian rips up speech and talks "god", and prays.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 06:43 AM
RE: blazebots "happy a HS Valedictorian rips up speech and talks "god", and prays.
Knight, . . . this isn't a 1st Amendment issue. It is an issue of ethics and, after agreeing to a pre-approved speech, knowing he would say a prayer and talk about "his faith" anyway. He was dishonest. . . . and most of the people on theBlaze.com praise his actions. So, therefore, it is okay to be dishonest if it is about YOUR specific belief system. These are the same people who point fingers at "the muslim who is told to tell lies to the infidels if it serves their purpose".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
RE: blazebots "happy a HS Valedictorian rips up speech and talks "god", and prays.
Then why do I not feel all rightious and offended? It dosent appear like he made that big of a stink with the people at the school or the audience anyways.
07-06-2013, 12:51 PM
If you are going to claim "a moral high ground", yet are dishonest, . . . there is a problem.
[+] 2 users Like DeavonReye's post
07-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Dude, it's a high school grad ceremony.
07-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Wasn't it at a public school? Maybe next time someone will, as others suggested, give an off the cuff atheist speech. We will see how everyone reacts to that...

I got sick of the story mainly because my FB friends were blowing up m News Feed with it. I refrained from commenting there because of the FB double standard which allows Christians free rein to post all their holy thoughts but causes people to spew vitriol at atheists.
07-06-2013, 08:51 PM
TBK. But if a Muslim student made his speech about Allah, people would have been horrified.

It's devisive. It's the whole us and them attitidude that has to stop. I wish most of the people leaving comments praising this kid for 'standing strong for jesus,' could hear how arrogant they sound. I don't personally give many shits what's being said -- it's the message of focusing on differences that bothers me.

I'd rather focus on ways we're similar.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Argh. Yeah, this thing showed up on my FB feed today.

What annoys me most is this guy being called "brave." Really? Spouting dogma of a majority religion in an auditorium filled with people primarily of that religion (I mean, statistically they had to be, after all) with nothing at risk is brave?

Hey guys, I was brave today, I went to watch a movie in a movie theater with other people who wanted to watch that movie! Wasn't that brave?

I'll call him brave when (if) he joins the military and sees combat. Or becomes a firefighter or cop. I'll call him brave if he actually puts something at risk and deserves to be. Calling him brave (versus, say, the muslem girls getting acid thrown at them for going to school, knowing that might happen) is an insult.
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post
08-06-2013, 10:29 PM
(08-06-2013 10:19 PM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  Argh. Yeah, this thing showed up on my FB feed today.

What annoys me most is this guy being called "brave." Really? Spouting dogma of a majority religion in an auditorium filled with people primarily of that religion (I mean, statistically they had to be, after all) with nothing at risk is brave?

Hey guys, I was brave today, I went to watch a movie in a movie theater with other people who wanted to watch that movie! Wasn't that brave?

I'll call him brave when (if) he joins the military and sees combat. Or becomes a firefighter or cop. I'll call him brave if he actually puts something at risk and deserves to be. Calling him brave (versus, say, the muslem girls getting acid thrown at them for going to school, knowing that might happen) is an insult.

It's part of the Christian persecution complex. They are a majority religion in most of the western world but always love to play at being the victim (in their minds) while at the same time use their majority status to "prove" the correctness of their doctrines. They have a real hard-on for the Martyr thing, very unhealthy. My response to this whole thing was kinda "meh, whatever" but I do agree with you about calling this kid brave for taking the majority position.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-06-2013, 09:29 AM
BlackKnight, . . . location and/or venue isn't the issue. It is a matter of honor and being honest [if you claim a "higher morality due to your god beliefs"] and how this kid was dishonest in what he actually did, . . . and the fact that so few [christians] understand this, but rather, . . . praise him for this. I can't make it any clearer.

I was listening to conservative talk radio, and even one of the most well known personalities was oblivious to his dishonesty [because he agreed to what he knew he would "defy"].
12-06-2013, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 08:35 AM by DeavonReye.)
PART II

theBlaze.com just posted a story about a graduate [salutatorian], who came out as gay [during his speech], . . . . . and pretty much every post is negative towards him. Either "I don't care" or "in bad taste", or the like. They are quick to call it "as an issue with this kid's ego, . . . but not the same as the student who prayed a prayer to god because that was not about him, but about god". . .

The hypocricy there is quite staggering.

My opinion: I personally wish these kids [and future ones] would keep their personal life to themselves and stick to the all encompassing purpose of a graduation speech, . . . their future work goals. . . . . . not about personal sexual preferences OR using the podium as a chance to “stick it to the man” by saying a non-approved prayer/religious belief.

BOTH of these types do it to draw attention to themselves. Save it for your personal life.

NEITHER should have used that podium for their PERSONAL beliefs or vendettas. I will say it again. . . . . . Leave it to your own personal life.