brickwall Matthews 16:4 How would you respond.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2012, 07:58 AM
brickwall Matthews 16:4 How would you respond.
So you are explaining the lack of convincible evidence for the god of the bible and why you don't believe any of that nonsense and they respond with this doozy, Matthews 16:4 (only an adulterous and wicked generation looks for a sign), how do you respond? What tact do you take next, once you have composed yourself?

I'm looking for some third party perspectives here, thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2012, 08:15 AM
RE: brickwall Matthews 16:4 How would you respond.
If somebody pulls out a biblical reference during an argument with me (unless the discussion is about what the book itself says), I immediately get a lot more confident in my argument; it shows that they and their arguments are weak and that text in particular simply says to me:

"I have absolutely no good or even remotely relevant/helpful argument against the use of evidence as the way of determining something as true."

If that shit starts coming out, push them harder. Push them off an argumentative or intellectual cliff if need be.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
24-11-2012, 08:51 AM
(24-11-2012 07:58 AM)HealingApostate Wrote:  So you are explaining the lack of convincible evidence for the god of the bible and why you don't believe any of that nonsense and they respond with this doozy, Matthews 16:4 (only an adulterous and wicked generation looks for a sign), how do you respond? What tact do you take next, once you have composed yourself?

Maybe I'd respond with a quote from Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Ask him to tell you what generation didn't look for a sign it seems by that logic every generation is wicked and adulterous. If every generation is the same then where is the context of the statement, it simply says don't ask for proof.
[+] 2 users Like Rum's post
24-11-2012, 09:48 AM
You should calmly walk away or tell them politely that you are no longer interested in the conversation.

If a theist starts using the Bible to try and disprove your atheism, you are at a dead end in the conversation.

They don't understand and will not understand the concept that an atheist doesn't consider the Bible anything but fictional literature.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
24-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Kingschosen, that is precisely what I was about to say, just put better than I would have. It's a circular argument. Why do you believe in God? Because the bible says so. Why do you believe what the bible says? Because it tells me not to question what it says, and the bible is the word of God. You just cannot reason with that.
24-11-2012, 10:05 AM
(24-11-2012 09:52 AM)tikidoc Wrote:  Kingschosen, that is precisely what I was about to say, just put better than I would have. It's a circular argument. Why do you believe in God? Because the bible says so. Why do you believe what the bible says? Because it tells me not to question what it says, and the bible is the word of God. You just cannot reason with that. Laughat

tikidoc,
I know you are new here but this could actually be one of the most ironic and serendipitously insightful posts that you will ever post.

I'm not going to explain why because you will enjoy the moment even more in a few days or weeks when realisation dawns upon you.

Oh joy!

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
24-11-2012, 10:13 AM
(24-11-2012 07:58 AM)HealingApostate Wrote:  So you are explaining the lack of convincible evidence for the god of the bible and why you don't believe any of that nonsense and they respond with this doozy, Matthews 16:4 (only an adulterous and wicked generation looks for a sign), how do you respond? What tact do you take next, once you have composed yourself?

Quote other spiritual books to them and when they tell you that they do not believe the other religions' book to have truth, tell them that is why you do not believe in their religious book.

I usualy just quote scripture from The Book of Shadak and it turns into an endless war of quotes!
lol
24-11-2012, 10:34 AM
(24-11-2012 10:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 09:52 AM)tikidoc Wrote:  Kingschosen, that is precisely what I was about to say, just put better than I would have. It's a circular argument. Why do you believe in God? Because the bible says so. Why do you believe what the bible says? Because it tells me not to question what it says, and the bible is the word of God. You just cannot reason with that. Laughat

tikidoc,
I know you are new here but this could actually be one of the most ironic and serendipitously insightful posts that you will ever post.

I'm not going to explain why because you will enjoy the moment even more in a few days or weeks when realisation dawns upon you.

Oh joy!
And if I'm dense and don't realize what you are getting at, can I PM you in a week or so for an explanation?
24-11-2012, 10:43 AM
(24-11-2012 10:34 AM)tikidoc Wrote:  
(24-11-2012 10:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  tikidoc,

Oh joy!
And if I'm dense and don't realize what you are getting at, can I PM you in a week or so for an explanation?
Oh. Nevermind. [Image: biggrin.gif]
[+] 3 users Like tikidoc's post