Poll: do you agree with the message of burn a quran day?
yes
no
[Show Results]

burn a quran

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2010 07:26 AM by Germanatheist007.)
RE: burn a quran
well, i think we should make a clear distinction between draw muhammad day and burn a quran day. Draw muhammad day was a honoralbe attemt to defend free speech from physical threats of violence from muslim fundamentalists. But this is just senseless provocation, it doesn´t show anything but that they are intolerant biggots. This is simply an exploitation of the basic idea of freedom of expression. They just want to set a sign, that muslims are not welcome in "their" country and use it as an excuse to say something stupid like " well if you have the right to build a mosque at ground zero than we have the right to burn your holy book" or something plain stupid.

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 07:11 AM
No, I don't agree with the "message".

Why? There is no message. This man - the one organizing it - wants nothing more than attention. He is not trying to say "oh, we won't put up with radical Islam, but you moderates are fine", despite what he pretends when on a radio interview. If he wanted to say that, he would just say it. No, what he wants is to get people paying attention to him. He wants his ego stroked, nothing more.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM
BnW Wrote:Kikko - If you think they are giving themselves a bad image, then you are missing the point of who their target audience is here. There are no shortage of people who are applauding them for this.
Just because 76% of the US is christian, does'nt necessarily mean that most of them support the burning of qurans. Of course there's no shortage of people who support them, but their target audience is not the only audience who gets the message. My rough estimation is, that even in the US, their supporters are a minority. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
09-09-2010, 07:34 AM

(09-09-2010 07:24 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
BnW Wrote:Kikko - If you think they are giving themselves a bad image, then you are missing the point of who their target audience is here. There are no shortage of people who are applauding them for this.
Just because 76% of the US is christian, does'nt necessarily mean that most of them support the burning of qurans. Of course there's no shortage of people who support them, but their target audience is not the only audience who gets the message. My rough estimation is, that even in the US, their supporters are a minority. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have no evidence regarding this topic in terms of what percentage of christians support this provocative act, but of course, you're virtually certain to be correct that not every christian wants to burn a qu'ran.

If they go ahead with this, it's just plain stupid, but there's no law against stupid. I think Unbeliever has it right - this is probably more about a 'leader' drawing attention to himself than it is about any substantive issue. Kind of like the 'Westboro baptist church' (which isn't actually a baptist church!) ...

When it comes to religious issues, words can take on entirely different meanings from normal usage ...
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 07:34 AM
(09-09-2010 07:08 AM)Germanatheist007 Wrote:  well, i think we should make a clear distinction between draw muhammad day and burn a quoran day. Draw muhammad day was a honoralbe attemt to defend free speech from physical threats of violence from muslim fundamentalists. But this is just senseless provocation, it doesn´t show anything but that they are intolerant biggots. This is simply an exploitation of the basic idea of freedom of expression. They just want to set a sign, that muslims are not welcome in "their" country and use it as an excuse to say something stupid like " well if you have the right to build a mosque at ground zero than we have the right to burn your holy book" or something plain stupid.

How is one honorable and the other not? As I understand it (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), Muslims view renderings of the prophet to be a sin and on par with the burning of the holy book. From a Muslim perspective, the two actions are equal.

It was drawing of Mohamed that set off full scale riots in Europe a few years ago. Taking the outrage at face value (meaning assuming it was not somewhat staged, and I think it was), how was it not a senseless provocation to have a "draw the prophet day"? What is the difference here?

Your difference seems to be based on intent. You are basically creating two groups: "people we like" and "people we do not like". However, rights and liberties don't work that way. Defending the rights of people we agree with is easy. Defending the rights of people we violently disagree with is the challenge, and the reason that societies mush defend liberties for everyone on a conceptual basis instead of picking and choosing who they like and who they don't. For every group and agenda there will be a counter group and agenda.

I think these people are idiots, but that has very little to do with their decision to burn the Q'uran. I think they have an absolute right to do this. I wish they wouldn't because I think it makes things that much worse for US foreign policy and conceivable puts lives in danger but the very same thing could be said about the "draw the prophet day".

I have to thank you for your post because you are really making me re-think my view on certain aspects of this whole thing.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-09-2010, 08:09 AM

My major concern right now isn't the book, but the act of playing right into the terror's hands. They want him to burn the book. This way their demagogs will have a reason to live their religious anger and stupidity, and it'll cost many lifes all around the globe...
09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
(09-09-2010 07:08 AM)Germanatheist007 Wrote:  well, i think we should make a clear distinction between draw muhammad day and burn a quran day. Draw muhammad day was a honoralbe attemt to defend free speech from physical threats of violence from muslim fundamentalists. But this is just senseless provocation, it doesn´t show anything but that they are intolerant biggots. This is simply an exploitation of the basic idea of freedom of expression. They just want to set a sign, that muslims are not welcome in "their" country and use it as an excuse to say something stupid like " well if you have the right to build a mosque at ground zero than we have the right to burn your holy book" or something plain stupid.

But this the exact point- if they have the right to build a mosque near GZ, although they know a lot of people are uppset about it, the priest have the right to burn the Quran, although he know a lot of people are uppset about. That why I oppose both actions- both actions won't bring tolerence, both actions bring only anger and resentment. It doesn't matter legal or not, both of them will have bad results.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2010, 10:42 AM

This falls firmly in the "if the press could have controled themselve, this guy would have simply gone away" category. It doesn't matter if he has right to or not, if there had been zero press him and his 50 church members would have showed up burnt their book and gone home in failure because their goal was PRESS COVERAGE! Well mission accomplished.
09-09-2010, 07:53 PM

As much as I hate all religions, I don't see anything positive coming from this jackass burning the Koran or anyone burning any religious book for that matter. Well maybe if WE, me and fellow Free Thinkers got together and decided to burn one of each religion, that would be ok with me, but i would not advertise this. Does that make me a Hypocrite?
honest question. And hey, how do you guys get your handle, the little quote at the bottom of all your posts?
09-09-2010, 08:07 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/09...11159.html

We can all breathe a sigh of relief that this motherfucker shut up. Now let's forget about him and move on.