Poll: do you agree with the message of burn a quran day?
yes
no
[Show Results]

burn a quran

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2010, 05:47 PM
RE: burn a quran
I find myself to be in a moral conundrum on this issue. If for some reason the government (or anyone) tried to stop him legally I would stand up for his right to do whatever he wishes with the books, so long as they are his property and not stolen books. It's his right to do whatever he wished with them withing the "boundaries" of freedom of speech. However I understand the negative connection that book burning symbolizes. Its connected with thought control and suppression of ideas. I do feel he is very misguided in his plan to do such an act, and I cringe at the thought of ANY book burning.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2010, 06:07 PM

(09-09-2010 08:07 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  We can all breathe a sigh of relief that this motherfucker shut up. Now let's forget about him and move on.

I think you're wrong on this.

Here's my prediction:

He has stated that the Imam agreed to move the mosque, which is not true. No meetings have been held, and no decisions have actually been made other than cancelling the book burn because of an "agreement" that never took place.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/09...11159.html Wrote:...claiming that he struck a deal with the leader of a planned Islamic Center near Ground Zero who agreed to move its controversial location

...Imam Rauf, the leader of the proposed center did not make a deal and has never talked to Pastor Terry Jones

I think that when the mosque doesn't move, Terry jones is going to pop back up and accuse them of violating a deal that never happened. This is going to be his justification for condemning Muslims and their book. Then he will proceed with the burning as originally planned.

Then, he'll use all of the above as "moral justification". He's trying to become the next Jerry Falwell by courting public opinion on an issue to gain religious fame.

Although I personally believe that he is a closed minded bigot.
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 04:29 AM

At the risk of being repetitive ... if a lawful act or some word offends you, that's entirely your choice. Personally, since I have no stake in any side of a purely theistic conflict, I'm immune to being offended by their rhetoric. Violence, on the other hand, is a different deal.

When someone knows in advance that their words and/or deeds are likely to offend someone, they have to make a choice: should I take the chance of offending someone or not? If they go ahead, their choice is immediately clear: I intend to do this and don't care if it offends you.

Then the offended folks have to decide then what to do about it. They can do nothing, they can organize a protest, they can have a prayer vigil, they can reflect on it, they can carry out a plan to do violence to the offender, etc. Those actions, in turn, may trigger counter-actions, and so on. This is the story of religious conflict throughout human history.

A pox on all religions!!
11-09-2010, 04:39 AM

(11-09-2010 04:29 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  At the risk of being repetitive ... if a lawful act or some word offends you, that's entirely your choice. Personally, since I have no stake in any side of a purely theistic conflict, I'm immune to being offended by their rhetoric. Violence, on the other hand, is a different deal.

When someone knows in advance that their words and/or deeds are likely to offend someone, they have to make a choice: should I take the chance of offending someone or not? If they go ahead, their choice is immediately clear: I intend to do this and don't care if it offends you.

Then the offended folks have to decide then what to do about it. They can do nothing, they can organize a protest, they can have a prayer vigil, they can reflect on it, they can carry out a plan to do violence to the offender, etc. Those actions, in turn, may trigger counter-actions, and so on. This is the story of religious conflict throughout human history.

A pox on all religions!!

And I agree with you. that doesn't change the fact that the man is spewing hate. And if it weren't at Muslims, then it would be a Jews, or scientists or homosexuals, or anyone else that doesn't fit exactly within the confines of his pathetic, narrow world view. I am glad his congregation is small.

Though it will no doubt grow because of the press and he will give glory to Jesus.

He's going to be around for a while. He's going to go ahead and burn something. If it's not a Koran, it might be a cross on someone's lawn. THAT's the type of intolerance that scares me.

Fuck him. I hope the flying spaghetti monster drops a meatball on his church.
11-09-2010, 07:41 AM
For whatever it's worth, my Christian organizations have widely denounced him. Now if the press would just go away this would all be over. This should have been a non-story. If we can keep it a non-story, then I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be an violence as a result.

Btw, Obama really screwed this up. First by getting himself involved in it altogether when he shouldn't have said anything. Then they had Defense Secretary Gates call this guy and ask him not to do it. Now you have 1st Amendment issues in play and with that the spectacle of people having to defend the rights of these morons, and count me amongst those who think his rights may now have to be defended.

Completely off the topic but Obama and his staff have to learn when to just STFU.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2010, 07:43 AM

(11-09-2010 07:41 AM)BnW Wrote:  Completely off the topic but Obama and his staff have to learn when to just STFU.

I'm not allowed to openly agree with you.

Though I am learning more and more about the Libertarian party because of him.
11-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm a semi-libertarian. I don't agree with them on all issues, but I certainly do on the topic of individual liberties.

Mostly, I hate both political parties with a passion. I voted for the Libertarian candidate in 2000 and 2004. In 2008 I actually did vote for Obama, mostly because the Libertarian candidate was Bob Barr, which I'm sure translates in some ancient text to "giant asshole" and could not bring myself to vote for him, and partly because I had just moved to PA at that point, the state was looking to be close, and I could not live with myself if I did not vote for Obama and Palin ended up as the VP to a 70 something year old cancer surviving President. The thought of that vacuous idiot being an elderly heartbeat from the Presidency drove me to vote for one of the 2 majors.

I had low expectations when I voted for him and I've still got some serious buyers remorse. I keep telling myself "he's better than Bush, he's better then Bush" but I'm finding less and less comfort in that each day.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Again, it's perfectly legal to burn the Quran, and while I feel that it is morally wrong to burn books, I feel that it's even more so to silence a voice, even if said voice is burning books. The symbolism of burning a book is censorship, and if someone is truly against censorship, they shouldn't censor this guy for burning books.

And happy Patriots/Burn-A-Koran day!

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world...537612.cms
11-09-2010, 03:30 PM

(11-09-2010 09:30 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world...537612.cms

Well then. It appears I was wrong.

Quote:"Even though we have not burned one Quran, we have gotten over 100 death threats," Jones said.

"We feel that God is telling us to stop...

(11-09-2010 03:30 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  
(11-09-2010 09:30 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world...537612.cms

Well then. It appears I was wrong.

Quote:"Even though we have not burned one Quran, we have gotten over 100 death threats," Jones said.

"We feel that God is telling us to stop...

and in this case, I am GLAD to be wrong.