Poll: do you agree with the message of burn a quran day?
yes
no
[Show Results]

burn a quran

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
RE: burn a quran
I would like to see all qurans and bibles burnt, however I would not like to see the religious wars such an action would cause. This whole thing is such a stupid mess that it makes me wish that evolution would work against the survival of dogmatic mindsets.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 05:07 PM

This whole thing just goes to show how silly religion really is.

Some douchebag idiot in Florida decides he is going to burn a book that supposedly contains the word of an invisible sky daddy because it is not the same as his book that has the teachings of his sky daddy. You see, his sky daddy represents love and compassion and the other invisible sky daddy represents hate and violence. He hasn't talked to either one of them you see. Actually, they are both the same sky daddies. But, he knows what he's talking about because he's read a book that obviously has to be correct despite a lack of any evidence.

Then, different douchebag idiots in the Middle East hear about it and go apeshit and set a few cars on fire and start rioting screaming "Death to Obama." They then strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up so they can make their sky daddy happy by killing fellow human beings, and also so they can get laid by raisins in Paradise.

And while all this is going on, everyone who is supposedly normal is saying that we all have a right to stroke whichever sky daddy we want. Nobody, and I mean nobody in the mainstream ever questions the sky daddy himself. Nobody ever questions the need to stroke the sky daddy. Because there is no sky daddy, and nobody seems to see it.
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM

(11-09-2010 05:07 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  This whole thing just goes to show how silly religion really is.

Some douchebag idiot in Florida decides he is going to burn a book that supposedly contains the word of an invisible sky daddy because it is not the same as his book that has the teachings of his sky daddy. You see, his sky daddy represents love and compassion and the other invisible sky daddy represents hate and violence. He hasn't talked to either one of them you see. Actually, they are both the same sky daddies. But, he knows what he's talking about because he's read a book that obviously has to be correct despite a lack of any evidence.

Then, different douchebag idiots in the Middle East hear about it and go apeshit and set a few cars on fire and start rioting screaming "Death to Obama." They then strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up so they can make their sky daddy happy by killing fellow human beings, and also so they can get laid by raisins in Paradise.

And while all this is going on, everyone who is supposedly normal is saying that we all have a right to stroke whichever sky daddy we want. Nobody, and I mean nobody in the mainstream ever questions the sky daddy himself. Nobody ever questions the need to stroke the sky daddy. Because there is no sky daddy, and nobody seems to see it.

Well, when you put it like that.....
12-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Nice narrative, TruthAddict. I agree. But I do think that you did make a massive understatement when you called religion 'silly.' Remove the over-politeness and I think you'd get 'f%*&#@^g idiotic.'
13-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Ughh...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news...545219.cms

This man is an atheist. I was afraid of this. "Yeah I guess let's burn all the holy books to make a point." What an idiot. This just gives religious folk more fuel for their fire of stupidity.
13-09-2010, 12:35 PM
What disturbs me the most is that he may lose his job for something he did on his own time. Australia is not the US so he may not have the same protections, but part of liberty is defending the rights of those you vehemently don't agree with. For a University, usually an institution associated with expanding your thoughts and challenging assumptions, to fire someone for expressing a contrary and unpopular opinion is reprehensible. It would be one thing if they at least tried to hide behind his depiction of illicit drug use (and I seriously doubt he was smoking lawn clippings like he claims) but, this sounds like his suspension and potential termination are the direct result of his video.

Agree or disagree with this man, if I was an alumni I'd never give them another penny or moment of support.

The whole thing is just very disturbing on many levels, and that's before you get to what he actually did (which I'm really not that bothered by except to the extent that all atheists are branded by the same brand of stupidity as this guy).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
14-09-2010, 02:34 AM

Well, I certainly harbor no great affection for the bible or the qu'ran and burning them is a lawful act, however stupid it might be. It's simply a symbolic act. No one is physically harmed and if someone is offended by it, then that was their choice, not something inherent in the act. All the arguments about the christian minister burning a qu'ran apply here, as well.

It might be useful for concerned atheists to say that burning books is generally a stupid thing to do and that he is not representative of most atheists. I'd hope that would be obvious, but I suspect many theists already think of atheists as evil people and see this as an act of evil.
14-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Sums it up nicely for me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/10...=fb&src=sp
11-10-2010, 08:20 PM

This is what happens when you're a newbie, to an old poll. Blush

I agree with the overall message the Gainesville Pastor sought to send, in his plan to burn the Qur'an. At least, what he said of it. A radical act, to protest the radicalism exhibited by violent terrorist Muslims.

I don't agree with burning books, however they're only books. When the Qur'an inspires weak minds, bent on a zealous agenda to make war on everyone not in keeping with their creed, while surrendering their own common sense and decency so as to adopt faith in terrorism and indecent behavior and defend those as the calling of a higher consciousness that they somehow accept needs mortals violent assist, in order to insure it's reign as supreme being, I'd rather see a book burned to protest that than people burned in the name of the faith that promotes the book.

In listening to radical Muslims speak, and even those who have left Islam, it's only we in the west who seem to need to differentiate the faithful to Islam. Between those that are radical and those who are moderate. As if we're speaking about a Political party or activist platform, instead of a faith based solely on conjecture and hope it's all true.

While Muslims will say, there is no radical Islam or moderate Islam. There is simply, Islam. That being said, while the Christian religion can never be said to have a pacifist history in it's own right, the one faith to date that insists on remaining ensconced in the dark ages and often violently so, is Islam.

And I think if someone want's to exercise the very freedom Islam would prohibit often at the cost of one's life, in protesting the severity and violence accorded the fundamentalist practice of the Muslim's faith, by burning the book that inspires such zeal, they have every right to.

Because in the end, the Gainesville Pastor deemed not to go through with it. While in Muslim countries, after that too became news, Muslims exhibited acts of violence, crying for his death, burning his image in effigy, just because he even dared think of committing the act. So serious a threat was this, that the FBI warned him that he should arm himself, in the case someone makes good on the threats right there in Florida, while the protests were broadcast from Afghanistan, Pakistan and elsewhere. Almost as an infomercial for his assassination right here at home, by those Muslims inspired by watching the zeal with which his death was acted out.

When a faith issues a death sentence on someone for daring to draw a cartoon depicting in a humorous light the profit of that faith, there's no reasoning with the minds that think that's perfectly acceptable. While the rest of the world should watch their step, for the import such threats denote, when the faithful in Islam are more than willing to carry them out in order to send home the message. If you piss of Muslims, expect to die for it.
We don't have to respect terrorism clad in faith. And we certainly don't have to surrender our right to speak freely against it, even when it means burning the book that speaks as a vehicle that inspires such depraved behaviors, in the name of the faith that declares of itself it is one of peace. When really, that's but a lie except for one fact. Islam promises itself to be a religion of peace, once the whole world is converted unto it, by force!

I'd burn a thousand Qur'an's, if it meant that agenda was stopped in it's tracks.
12-10-2010, 02:11 AM
(11-10-2010 08:20 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Islam promises itself to be a religion of peace, once the whole world is converted unto it, by force!

Reminds me of the Third Reich.