calling kindney drs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2017, 09:51 PM
calling kindney drs
My daughter who is pregnant with a little boy and she found out yesterday that he has cysts in his kidneys and neither have any function at all. I don't know much about this and need to know what is going on and what they normally do? So worried thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2017, 09:05 PM
RE: calling kindney drs
i'm by no means a medical doctor but to my knowledge, the kidneys aren't really needed until birth. not sure if they can be repaired before birth by bodily mechanisms but all is not lost just yet. if he is born live he may need dialysis until he can get donor kidneys. my guess is that your daughter will be advised not to subject herself to an unreasonable risk of infection or blood toxins and maybe meds could help the fetus but i only have a slight grasp of the biology behind it. what i do know is the kidneys filter blood but since he currently shares a bloodstream with your daughter, her kidneys will work for him until birth
22-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Hugs to you.

I think your daughter should speak with her doctors about this. They know what's going on and have access to her medical records and can suggest the right plan of care. An internet forum is not a good place to look for medical advice. Go right to the source--your daughter's doctors. I know it's scary but they have years of training and experience and can make the right calls regarding your daughter and baby's health.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
22-02-2017, 10:08 PM
As Jenny says, you'll be wanting to speak to an expert about this, not us knuckleheads.

Kidneys normally remove a whole lot of toxins from the bloodstream. One of the big ones is urea, which the body produces when it breaks down proteins. There are a whole slew of other ones. Without kidney function those toxins build up. It's very not good. For adults there is dialysis, which is a treatent, not a cure. I had a friend who had to go through that and it's very hard on the system. I don't even know if they have something similar for infants.

As Seagull says, the placenta should take care of matters until birth. It isn't as if he's producing urine yet. After he leaves the womb things will get tricky.

Seriously though, talk to your daughter's doctors. We're just a bunch of ordinary people who happen to know a smattering of biology, much of it outdated and wrong.

HeartHugHeart for you and your family.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-02-2017, 06:54 AM
I am mainly wondering if an adult can donate a kindey or is it too big? Or? Thanks
23-02-2017, 07:19 AM
(23-02-2017 06:54 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I am mainly wondering if an adult can donate a kindey or is it too big? Or? Thanks

unlike organs such as the liver, which can be cut up for recipients and regrow in the host body over time, kidneys need be donated intact

this is going to be rather morbid but the unfortunate thing is most babies or toddlers in this country who die will be unable to donate organs. someone correct me if i'm wrong but i get a sense that unless someone is born with anencephaly or dies of a horrific accident at an early age or is murdered, the majority of deaths of kids under 5 will be from diseases such as cancer and their organs will be unsuitable. again, i could be wrong

the best bet is for him to have dialysis until he is old enough to get a suitable transplant
02-03-2017, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 10:41 AM by adey67.)
Foetus's do urinate in utero. Even as a former RN of many years, I'm afraid I can't give you any information PD it would be extremely dangerous and unfair of me to do that I don't want to give either false despair or false hope, and without detailed information even if I was an MD the situation would be the same, your daughter and you must be guided and supported by the medical personnel involved and listen to them and ONLY them. I wish you and your family all the best at this difficult time. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post