camping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 09:35 PM
camping
I love the outdoors. We are not camping in the sense of packing a tent in miles and filtering water out of a stream, but we cook over the fire when we can and listen to the sounds of lack of them, sit out under the stars, get smoke in our clothes.

Come on in and talk about camping if you like.

I'll start with our last summer outing. I reserved a group camp on Chinook Pass.
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/salmon...rkId=75383

It was late September, plenty cool but we dodged the rain. 5 other families stayed in camp and my brother, sister in law and her sister day tripped up for Saturday potluck.
We ate too much and told stories, and listened to the elk bugling up and down the valley. They walked through camp early Sunday morning and later in the morning we had 3 white tail in the camp.
There were king salmon carcasses on the bottom of the river. They had made a remarkable journey eastward up the Columbia to the mouth of the Yakima, then 150 miles west back up into the mountains, up the Naches and American rivers.

We took the trailer down to Ocean Shores for the Irish Music festival last weekend, but it was just a place to stay that we could leave two rowdy dogs at. We have a lot near the beach there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post
29-10-2015, 09:50 PM
RE: camping
It's been a couple years since we have camped, but we made s'mores the other night in the back yard. The fire pit reminds us of camping.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
29-10-2015, 10:13 PM
I love the outdoors as well. I love camping, hiking, backpacking...so peaceful out in nature. I love everything about it. I love seeing the stars at night away from the city lights. I love making camp food, seeing wildlife and scenic views, and just being away from everyone and everything. If you go with another person or group of people, it's fun to just talk without interruption from computers, cell phones, etc.. It's such a disconnect from the fast paced world.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
29-10-2015, 10:28 PM
I liken it to a "reset", and I did not get enough of them this past year.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
29-10-2015, 10:34 PM
I usually camp within the context of Army training, but it's still fun. I've got young kids and a girlfriend who's not much into camping, so for the time being I don't get much opportunity to just go out and do it for fun.

This year, once the snow comes, we've got everything from improvised snow shelters to tactical snowmobiling planned. I'm giddy Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
29-10-2015, 10:35 PM
(29-10-2015 10:28 PM)skyking Wrote:  I liken it to a "reset", and I did not get enough of them this past year.

Definitely a reset. I love bringing my yoga mat too and doing some asanas Wink
30-10-2015, 12:05 AM
If I brought a yoga mat I'd need an engine hoist for recovery Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-10-2015, 08:05 AM
We tent camped for a few years out of the back of a Mazda GLC hatch. Took week long trips to the north Cascades and across BC, down to California and Oregon, Nevada.
She got her dream SUV as long as I could put a hitch on it. Shortly after a neighbor was selling a tent trailer for $900 and we grabbed it.
Fellows, if your spouse is pushing back against the idea of camping from the comfort issue, I have one thing to sing to you to the tune of The Beatles:
'Happiness is a Warm Toi-let'
The tent trailer had heat and a porta potty. You could roll out and light the burner under your coffee and tea water, and not go out into the cold and damp we see most beach mornings.
These good times lasted until she was cruising the foreclosure list for Grays Harbor county. We picked up the beach lot and the rules were clear; our tent trailer did not have proper holding tanks. I always wanted a 5th wheel, and really wanted a Dodge Cummins truck. I got both in short order, used or course.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
30-10-2015, 08:17 AM
(30-10-2015 08:05 AM)skyking Wrote:  We tent camped for a few years out of the back of a Mazda GLC hatch. Took week long trips to the north Cascades and across BC, down to California and Oregon, Nevada.
She got her dream SUV as long as I could put a hitch on it. Shortly after a neighbor was selling a tent trailer for $900 and we grabbed it.
Fellows, if your spouse is pushing back against the idea of camping from the comfort issue, I have one thing to sing to you to the tune of The Beatles:
'Happiness is a Warm Toi-let'
The tent trailer had heat and a porta potty. You could roll out and light the burner under your coffee and tea water, and not go out into the cold and damp we see most beach mornings.
These good times lasted until she was cruising the foreclosure list for Grays Harbor county. We picked up the beach lot and the rules were clear; our tent trailer did not have proper holding tanks. I always wanted a 5th wheel, and really wanted a Dodge Cummins truck. I got both in short order, used or course.

I usually go pretty rustic when I go camping--no "extra" comforts--just tent, sleeping bag, food etc. If I want comforts, I usually end up renting a cabin some place kind of remote. But I think your idea of a tent trailer with heat/porta potty is a great idea for people who don't like the rustic side of camping but still want to get out and enjoy the great outdoors. It makes camping more accessible for everyone and I think it's great that that allows you and your wife the ability to enjoy camping together.
30-10-2015, 08:25 AM
I prefer wild camping. I have a load of technical equipment and camp on top of a Scottish mountain. It's great to see the sunset and sunrise and to know that you are the only person for miles around.

We didn't get a chance to do it this year even though we're back in Scotland because we were without a car for so long. And the last few years we were in Germany without a car either.

If we stay in Scotland then we'll definitely be doing a lot more wild camping. We've seen lots of interesting wild life alone on top of the mountains. Like a pack of wild horses, an owl that constantly flew a few feet above our heads, huge deer that were munching grass around our tents etc
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post