can alcohol based hand sanitizer be absorbed thru the skin to make an infant drunk?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 01:43 PM
can alcohol based hand sanitizer be absorbed thru the skin to make an infant drunk?
odd question, I know. At first I thought no, the alcohol just evaporates, but then I started doubting my answer. Maybe there is something that I hadnt considered. My 11 year old took the Red Cross baby sitting class today. On the drive home, she was telling me some of the things she learned. The instructor told them not to use alcohol based hand sanitizer with infants and toddlers because it can be absorbed thru the skin and make them drunk.

Now I am Consider and asking all of you fine folks who know so much what you think.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
RE: can alcohol based hand sanitizer be absorbed thru the skin to make an infant drunk?
Looks like there might be something to it wrt infants.

After regular application of ethanol on the skin (e.g. in the form of hand disinfectants) relatively low but measurable blood concentrations of ethanol and its metabolite acetaldehyde may occur, which are, however, below acute toxic levels. Only in children, especially through lacerated skin, can percutaneous toxicity occur.

#sigh
11-10-2014, 03:00 PM
RE: can alcohol based hand sanitizer be absorbed thru the skin to make an infant drunk?
I wouldn't advise using any hand sanitizer with infants at all to be honest. Not only is it bad if it gets in their mouth, but also it ruins immune system development.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 4 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
11-10-2014, 04:04 PM
(11-10-2014 03:00 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I wouldn't advise using any hand sanitizer with infants at all to be honest. Not only is it bad if it gets in their mouth, but also it ruins immune system development.

I'm with you on this. Let kids get a little yucky, germy, and dirty, they'll be healthier for it in the long run Yes

Also Bows, I think the biggest concern is like Ceta mentioned: kids putting their hands in their mouth after application. I think absorption through the skin is minimal. Having them eat it could be problematic.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
11-10-2014, 04:05 PM
(11-10-2014 03:00 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I wouldn't advise using any hand sanitizer with infants at all to be honest. Not only is it bad if it gets in their mouth, but also it ruins immune system development.

I wonder about this. My brother has two kids. When they had their first they were going around cleaning door knobs and shit. Now he's sick all the time. I guess with their daughter they were too tired to be obsessive about germs and she's hardly ever sick. Could be a coincidence I suppose...
I work in a dry camp so it seems I have to get me some of this hand sanitizer. How much will I need to get a buzz? Smile
11-10-2014, 04:13 PM
yeah, I know about not using it on infants and building up an immune system, I had just never heard that it could be absorbed thru the skin, and especially enough to make a kid drunk.

I just always figured the alcohol evaporated.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-10-2014, 04:17 PM
(11-10-2014 04:05 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  

I wonder about this. My brother has two kids. When they had their first they were going around cleaning door knobs and shit. Now he's sick all the time. I guess with their daughter they were too tired to be obsessive about germs and she's hardly ever sick. Could be a coincidence I suppose...
I work in a dry camp so it seems I have to get me some of this hand sanitizer. How much will I need to get a buzz? Smile

You'll also notice too that some OCD people get ill very often because they are constantly washing their hands and everything in their house. A guy I worked with who was getting treatment for OCD was given a big lecture of scare stories about diminished immune systems.

If it starts young though it can be a lot worse because you might not even develop the basic groundwork for a decent immune system.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 2 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
11-10-2014, 05:12 PM
RE: alcohol based hand sanitize absorbed thru the skin to make an infant drunk?
This thread makes me think about my mom rubbing whiskey on my gums when I was teething. Hmmmm Consider
No wonder I'm the way I am.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
13-10-2014, 06:03 AM
(11-10-2014 04:04 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I'm with you on this. Let kids get a little yucky, germy, and dirty, they'll be healthier for it in the long run Yes

Anecdotally, this lines up with what I've seen. Both of my girls started daycare fairly young and got sick constantly for the first three to six months. They'd still get sick semi-often for another year or so after that. Now, they hardly ever get anything more than a mild cold.

My wife and her sister get sick far more often than myself and her sister's husband. Both he and I were in daycare and the two of them were not. Of course, genetics could be playing a role, too.
13-10-2014, 06:56 AM
More importantly... Can I get drunk by using hand sanitiser?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user