can an atheist be conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 05:20 PM
RE: can an atheist be conservative?
(20-07-2015 05:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 04:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm liberal on some issues, like gay rights, and conservative on others, like gun rights.

Sounds like Bernie Sanders.

I like him better than most of the options, though there isn't a single potential candidate, even those who don't actually have a chance, that I'd get enthusiastic about.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 11:19 PM
(20-07-2015 05:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 04:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm liberal on some issues, like gay rights, and conservative on others, like gun rights.

Sounds like {President} Bernie Sanders.

FIXED
21-07-2015, 06:08 AM
(20-07-2015 02:34 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i am not sure on this one what do you think?

They are as likely to be conservatives, as black folks are likely to be republicans. Liberal minded folks, seem more open to the idea of atheism, than others.
21-07-2015, 06:14 AM
(21-07-2015 06:08 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 02:34 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i am not sure on this one what do you think?

They are as likely to be conservatives, as black folks are likely to be republicans. Liberal minded folks, seem more open to the idea of atheism, than others.

Is this more data based on your personal experience?

There of course are many conservative atheists and many who have been on this forum, ones come and gone as well as some lingering still here. The only main conservative value atheists are highly unlikely to not hold is a respect for the concept of sanctity.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-07-2015, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 06:40 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2015 06:14 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 06:08 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  They are as likely to be conservatives, as black folks are likely to be republicans. Liberal minded folks, seem more open to the idea of atheism, than others.

Is this more data based on your personal experience?

There of course are many conservative atheists and many who have been on this forum, ones come and gone as well as some lingering still here. The only main conservative value atheists are highly unlikely to not hold is a respect for the concept of sanctity.

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones...cal-views/

About 18% of atheists lean republican, while 73% lean Democrat. In contrast, 71% of white evangelicals lean republican, while 22% lean democrat.

I'm surprised this leaning is not common knowledge to you? Perhaps you've been living under a rock?
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
21-07-2015, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 06:44 AM by ClydeLee.)
(21-07-2015 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 06:14 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Is this more data based on your personal experience?

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones...cal-views/

About 18% of atheists lean republican, while 73% lean Democrat. In contrast, 71% of white evangelicals lean republican, while 22% lean democrat.

Okay, I would of leaned more toward the nones because I know plenty of people who definitively call themselves nones in a political scale. It's also Very foolish to connect the terms democratic=liberal and republican=conservative. Those are not exclusive and are the types of issues with where values are poorly judged.

Still I was contrasting your claim because of how strong the ties are with African Americans, those polls have a much stronger democratic/liberal connection than your list still. So you see that's still a stronger claim than the atheist one. The black national vote and party affiliation for republicans has been mainly at 10% often. There are many still black religious conservatives as well that exist though. How you measure across that one I don't know, but the grand point is by looking at atheists here in the past even, you see the option for ranging scales.

There have been many of these same types of threads: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nd?page=12

On this board with people taking this quiz and other similar quiz's multiple times. The conservatives are mostly uniformly Libertarian conservatives yes, but that's still in the grouping.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Liberal and conservative are handy labels -- that are more frequently than not, inaccurate.....

What do you call someone who's in favor of the death penalty - but also in favor of abortion on demand?
Or, somebody who wants smaller government and is in favor of gun control?

Most anyone you meet (that has a functioning brain) will NOT agree 100 percent with the liberal / conservative agenda - but will be a blend of the two..

Only clones and drones buy the whole "party line" crap.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-07-2015, 07:21 AM
(21-07-2015 07:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Only clones and drones buy the whole "party line" crap.

And a steady supply of those are something both the religious and atheist demographics have in common.

'Murican Canadian
21-07-2015, 09:50 AM
George Wills, the conservative columnist, is an atheist.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/George-...id/596249/

As soon as he came out as an atheist the comment sections in various news feeds turned sour. He was suddenly evil.

His father was a Lutheran minister.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-07-2015, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 10:00 AM by Tomasia.)
(21-07-2015 09:50 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  George Wills, the conservative columnist, is an atheist.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/George-...id/596249/

As soon as he came out as an atheist the comment sections in various news feeds turned sour. He was suddenly evil.

Uhm, I quickly looked through a few pages of the comment section, and I saw no such thing, as anyone particularly labeling George Will anything of the sort. The comment sections primarily devolved into a theists vs atheists debate, leaving poor George ignored.

I also went through another site, The Blaze, to gauge the comments regarding George Will's Atheism, I found nothing of the sort there either. The comments were primarily like this:

"As a Christian, I have no cause to discount a fellow man who happens to be atheist. I cannot replace my conscience for his. He alone must determine his destiny in pursuant of the dictates of his own conscience.

Atheists are fine with me."

The most offensive comment was this one: "I admire the man for openly stating his beliefs, but I pity the man for his beliefs."

http://www.theblaze.com/blog/2014/02/13/...n-atheist/