can an atheist be conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 12:43 PM
RE: can an atheist be conservative?
(21-07-2015 12:41 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i dont see why blacks cant vote repuclican there are plenty of fine candidates and im not just talking about an alternative to obama

They can and do, just about only 4-12% have on a national level in the last... well since after Gerald Ford's election.

I'm sure the numbers in some states, they vote higher republican. It's just that they don't for various factors in a strong trend.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 12:45 PM
(20-07-2015 02:34 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i am not sure on this one what do you think?
Yes. But it's rare. Because atheists tend to be non-conformist.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
21-07-2015, 12:47 PM
no they did not im a libertarian i would have liked to see ron paul be pres but thats a tangent lets not go there
21-07-2015, 12:49 PM
(21-07-2015 12:47 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  no they did not im a libertarian i would have liked to see ron paul be pres but thats a tangent lets not go there

"I have always found it quaint and rather touching that there is a movement [Libertarians] in the US that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.”

― Christopher Hitchens

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
21-07-2015, 12:56 PM
I haven't read the entirety of this article but it seems relevant.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/...DDEVREMARK

The year you were born in ends up shaping your political views because of the events that will occur over your lifetime, especially those that happen around early adulthood.

So why is there a correlation among those atheists polled to lean more to the left? It probably has much more to do with the demographics of the majority of people who self identify as atheist such that their atheism is not directly related to their political opinion but that both their political opinion and their religious opinion are informed by the events they have experienced.

-Rick
21-07-2015, 12:57 PM
(21-07-2015 12:41 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  i dont see why blacks cant vote repuclican there are plenty of fine candidates and im not just talking about an alternative to obama

I hope you're not talking about presidential candidates. There are no fine ones among the Republicans.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-07-2015, 12:57 PM
(21-07-2015 12:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I hope you're not talking about presidential candidates. There are no fine ones among the Republicans.

Are there any fine Republican presidential candidates? Consider

-Rick
21-07-2015, 01:23 PM
i like rand paul the left and the right are basically the same the republicans are swords and the democrats are shields( the conservatoves say racist things and then democrats point them out again im a libertarian). vote for whom you please i think a shoulf rephrase this. In a hyphothethical society would it be acceptable to make a society in the 1950's west and replace Christianity with atheism.
21-07-2015, 01:26 PM
If you think both parties are the same, you aren't paying attention.

-Rick
21-07-2015, 01:26 PM
(21-07-2015 12:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 12:35 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  (Mainly bc they have been shown to be more wasteful than simply disposing of stuff in landfills, from an environmental perspective, absent some kind of nationalized program to bring the energy and financial costs of recycling down across the country.)

I've never seen any data on recycling being worse for the environment that the original processes used to extract the resources. I have seen that it is more costly to recycle than recover new resources, but cost isn't everything when it comes to reasons to recycle.

*just a minor quibble with what I read in your post*

Pen and Teller's Bullshit did a half-decent show about it.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/810754

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson