can an atheist be conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: can an atheist be conservative?
(21-07-2015 01:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 12:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've never seen any data on recycling being worse for the environment that the original processes used to extract the resources. I have seen that it is more costly to recycle than recover new resources, but cost isn't everything when it comes to reasons to recycle.

*just a minor quibble with what I read in your post*

Pen and Teller's Bullshit did a half-decent show about it.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/810754

I've watched them on this but I still don't recall recycling being "worse for the environment" than the initial processes of finding, extracting, and refining.

Some recycling processes do require harmful chemicals to be used in order to extract and refine, but the initial processes do too.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 01:34 PM
(21-07-2015 12:38 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The assumption being made by the resident theist seems to be that the atheism somehow informs the liberalism, when it is probably more likely to be exactly the opposite.

If you mean me, than no, I agree with you, as I previously stated:

"Liberal minded folks, seem more open to the idea of atheism, than others."

One's liberalism informs one's atheism, or at least makes one more receptive to it.
21-07-2015, 01:36 PM
(21-07-2015 01:26 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you think both parties are the same, you aren't paying attention.

here i can give you an example if a conservative politican votes to attack another the left will attack that person giving the public the image that there are two competing parties. the conservatives will suggest that the only way to make the country great is to restore the principles of their ancestors. then the left steps in and points out how thoes principles lead to downfall and the cycle repeats every election
21-07-2015, 01:38 PM
(21-07-2015 01:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 12:38 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The assumption being made by the resident theist seems to be that the atheism somehow informs the liberalism, when it is probably more likely to be exactly the opposite.

If you mean me, than no, I agree with you, as I previously stated:

"Liberal minded folks, seem more open to the idea of atheism, than others."

One's liberalism informs one's atheism, or at least makes one more receptive to it.

No, you don't agree with me because you don't understand what I have written. You have overgeneralized it.

-Rick
21-07-2015, 01:38 PM
(21-07-2015 01:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 01:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Pen and Teller's Bullshit did a half-decent show about it.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/810754

I've watched them on this but I still don't recall recycling being "worse for the environment" than the initial processes of finding, extracting, and refining.

Some recycling processes do require harmful chemicals to be used in order to extract and refine, but the initial processes do too.

I recall the episode being some specific types in some regards cause more excessive energy and pollution.

Aluminium recycling I recall being noted as the best and most efficient of them all. Yard waste and all that types is of course good as well. I think it's mainly plastics can be problematic to recycle because of the gases released but it's still improving growing technology in areas.

Anywhooo... I felt like adding some other info to the whole Liberal/Conservative viewpoints. There are several ways of breaking it down but based on some studies in a defined concept of "moral foundations theory" there are distinctions based down on values humans share, and liberals and conservatives rate them differently. I think only 1 of them is something definitively, by being atheists, you are highly likely to disregard. Which is the concept of Sanctity/purity. (there are many charts and actual data quotes of this stuff, sometimes they have 6 values and may have different names)

[Image: morality.gif]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
21-07-2015, 01:39 PM
(21-07-2015 01:36 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 01:26 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you think both parties are the same, you aren't paying attention.

here i can give you an example if a conservative politican votes to attack another the left will attack that person giving the public the image that there are two competing parties. the conservatives will suggest that the only way to make the country great is to restore the principles of their ancestors. then the left steps in and points out how thoes principles lead to downfall and the cycle repeats every election

That makes no sense in showing that Democrats = Republicans

Also, if you Libertarians don't play political games, you are naive.

-Rick
21-07-2015, 01:39 PM
(21-07-2015 01:23 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  In a hyphothethical society would it be acceptable to make a society in the 1950's west and replace Christianity with atheism.

Can you clarify that? I can't see what you're asking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2015, 01:43 PM
(21-07-2015 01:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 01:36 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  here i can give you an example if a conservative politican votes to attack another the left will attack that person giving the public the image that there are two competing parties. the conservatives will suggest that the only way to make the country great is to restore the principles of their ancestors. then the left steps in and points out how thoes principles lead to downfall and the cycle repeats every election

That makes no sense in showing that Democrats = Republicans

both parties support bailout,israel, dislike russia, china, japan, democrats social welfare reformes have aimed at asisting the poor but have done nothing conservates do not care for the poor just like the left. the left spaeks of cutting the military budged but at the same time supports bases overseas and iranian sanctions same with the right.
21-07-2015, 01:48 PM
(21-07-2015 01:43 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 01:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That makes no sense in showing that Democrats = Republicans

both parties support bailout,israel, dislike russia, china, japan, democrats social welfare reformes have aimed at asisting the poor but have done nothing conservates do not care for the poor just like the left. the left spaeks of cutting the military budged but at the same time supports bases overseas and iranian sanctions same with the right.

So....no. That's simply not true that both parties equally support the general statements you just made. Look up Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders if you want an idea of what people further on the left support.

-Rick
21-07-2015, 01:53 PM
[quote='TheBeardedDude' pid='817390' dateline='1437508108']
[quote='nintendo2190' pid='817384' dateline='1437507829']

im talking about the vast majority of cases use your imagniation here take out the element of racism and consider of the metaphysical event of the bailout itself if obama was white and bush black would they have done the things they did YES. it dosent matter which party they come from. If bush passed something called obama care it would still suck ass and he would have passed it. if people dont have good health care and retirement pensions the banks that pay for left and right campaigns make more money