can an atheist be conservative?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2015, 05:40 PM
RE: can an atheist be conservative?
Is that when you get the toaster oven?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2015, 04:22 PM
(22-07-2015 07:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 02:34 PM)Hypatia Wrote:  **Can't spar with trolls today---gotta go rev the engine on the diesel truck collection, reload shotgun shells and "weed" the garden.**

Are you into clay shooting sports? Consider

I am indeed. Wink
23-07-2015, 09:43 PM
(23-07-2015 04:22 PM)Hypatia Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 07:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  Are you into clay shooting sports? Consider

I am indeed. Wink

Which one(s)? I shoot trap and our club is in a league.
I used to shoot skeet, but the club where I did that went to non-lead shot - too expensive. They also had five-stand which was fun.

I think there are some other clubs around that have skeet fields, so I may get back into it.

I reload 12-gauge for trap (and skeet).

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2015, 07:37 AM
I personally identify with the libertarian party but tend to vote conservative because third party votes are wasted and some conservative issues overlap libertarian ones (ie. limited government). Although I would argue the party loyalty of republicans is a farce at best, based upon their actions in Congress such cutting veteran support and generally rolling over for Obama at every turn. Even Trump who is highly popular right now has been in bed with the Clintons for many years and I suspect he is only doing this to guarantee Hillary a win by switching to a third party platform

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
29-07-2015, 02:14 PM
(20-07-2015 05:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 05:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Sounds like Bernie Sanders.

I like him better than most of the options, though there isn't a single potential candidate, even those who don't actually have a chance, that I'd get enthusiastic about.

Just to update, I've completely lost Bernie Sanders over the past few days as I've actually been paying more attention to his rhetoric Tongue

'Murican Canadian
30-07-2015, 12:58 PM
[/quote]Yes, they can be gay too although it's not a requirement. But you do have to take the oath and pass it on to six others before you're allowed to wear the badge otherwise bad luck will befall you.
Archi
[/quote]

Well aside from the oath-part, you kind of stated what I was thinking. Humans are amazing in that we can constantly contradict ourselves in our beliefs and our actions. I have nothing wrong with conservatives, but I find it hard to believe that anyone who is a homosexual, can support a party who has made it one of their key focus points to suppress your human rights.

I would say it would be easier to be a conservative and an atheist than it would be to be a conservative homosexual.

As a liberal & a democrat, I am not free of religion in my candidates. Even Obama has had to make public displays of his religous practices and faiths.

All of us here have 1 thing in common, whether conservative or liberal. We have yet to see a openly Atheist president represent our country. I don't expect to see it in my lifetime, and I'm only 36.

Daeuse
30-07-2015, 04:29 PM
(29-07-2015 02:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 05:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I like him better than most of the options, though there isn't a single potential candidate, even those who don't actually have a chance, that I'd get enthusiastic about.

Just to update, I've completely lost Bernie Sanders over the past few days as I've actually been paying more attention to his rhetoric Tongue

What does "completely lost Bernie Sanders" mean? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-07-2015, 05:11 PM
(30-07-2015 04:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 02:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Just to update, I've completely lost Bernie Sanders over the past few days as I've actually been paying more attention to his rhetoric Tongue

What does "completely lost Bernie Sanders" mean? Consider

Me a week ago after seeing only a couple old articles and a summary of assumed stances of all the candidates:
"Meh, he's not too bad."

Me now, after seeing some more recent interviews:
"He's got his head so far up his add he's about to stumble across Trump and Hillary."

'Murican Canadian
01-08-2015, 04:49 PM
American Atheists had a presence at CPAC this year. David Silverman is a self-described conservative. The only reason he does not vote republican is because of social and religious issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUgVDoTobQ
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
02-08-2015, 08:49 AM
After watching 6 mins of that video, it's not too difficult to see why indoctrination is the conservative bases only hope for survival, in its current state. They'll continue hemorrhaging membership until they have an honest discussion of reality, sans the revisionist history.
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post