can bumble bees be security guards?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
can bumble bees be security guards?
weird question, I know.

We have been in this house about 7 years. EVERY spring and summer we have a giant bumble bee (which someone once told me they really aren't bees?) that stands guard at the gate to the backyard. All day, every day, for the last 7 years, spring & summer there is a huge bee hovering along a 6ft walkway.

Now I realize the bumble bee lifespan probably isn't 7 years, and its actually a different bee every year, and possibly every month, but I don't understand why it is there from morning till evening every.single.day. seriously.....all day, every day.

can someone here explain that?

There really isn't anything 'attractive' to a bee in that spot. Just the corner of the house, a wood privacy fence gate, a gravel walkway, and some leyland cypress trees (tall evergreens). I do have a climbing rose bush there for the last few years and a clematis vine (but the bee is never interested in those--and is there when both are still dormant).

nature is fucking weird.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
RE: can bumble bees be security guards?
(02-04-2014 11:15 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  weird question, I know.

We have been in this house about 7 years. EVERY spring and summer we have a giant bumble bee (which someone once told me they really aren't bees?) that stands guard at the gate to the backyard. All day, every day, for the last 7 years, spring & summer there is a huge bee hovering along a 6ft walkway.

Now I realize the bumble bee lifespan probably isn't 7 years, and its actually a different bee every year, and possibly every month, but I don't understand why it is there from morning till evening every.single.day. seriously.....all day, every day.

can someone here explain that?

There really isn't anything 'attractive' to a bee in that spot. Just the corner of the house, a wood privacy fence gate, a gravel walkway, and some leyland cypress trees (tall evergreens). I do have a climbing rose bush there for the last few years and a clematis vine (but the bee is never interested in those--and is there when both are still dormant).

nature is fucking weird.

Having taken a cursory look into it it seems that bees tend to have distinct patrolling patterns set up not by objects of interest for the bees (like flowers), but out of scent-marks. The bees patrol between scent marked objects in a course and often stop mid-air to hover on their patrols. It's all a territorial action by the bees, you probably have a hive nearby.

Anyway, it is an interesting behaviour for the bees... Consider

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
RE: can bumble bees be security guards?
Yes in a way. You can keep bees around to scare people off, however they won't attack anybody if you are in trouble but if they are bothered first. So if someone can sneak past the bees no problem, then you would be screwed. So keep a bunch of them okayThumbsup

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube