can someone explain this to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
can someone explain this to me
I heard few creationists ask "do you want to be descendent from monkeys ?" like its a terrible thing, yet they have no problem being descendent from dirt

how is being descendent from dirt any better ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Ace's post
05-09-2014, 10:17 AM
RE: can someone explain this to me
Humans have this thing where they don't want to acknowledge their status as "mere" animals. Being "descended from monkeys" makes it hard to ignore the fact that we are animals.

Plus, it wasn't dirt. It was magical dirt.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 5 users Like CleverUsername's post
05-09-2014, 10:22 AM
(05-09-2014 10:10 AM)Ace Wrote:  I heard few creationists ask "do you want to be descendent from monkeys ?" like its a terrible thing, yet they have no problem being descendent from dirt

how is being descendent from dirt any better ?

Which immediately begs the question : do they (or we) get to make up Reality because it's what we want ? What an incredibly idiotic question for them to ask. You might respond, "Well, if we have a common ancestor, isn't Evolution a fantastic amazing process, that we can actually become aware of the universe and each other, but IF you think we get to make up shit to believe in just beacuse it makes us feel more warm and fuzzy, well, no I gave up the easter Bunny when I was about 4, and I prefer to follow the evidence where it leads, instead of making up fairy tales".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Well I like to approach that with, We did not descend from monkeys, we share a common ancestor.
[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post
05-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Re: can someone explain this to me
You can't change what you're decented from.. To even ask that is them demonstrating they're preferring delusion.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-09-2014, 12:50 PM
(05-09-2014 10:17 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Humans have this thing where they don't want to acknowledge their status as "mere" animals. Being "descended from monkeys" makes it hard to ignore the fact that we are animals.

Oh, yeah. I had a fundie ex-stepdad who freaked out when I casually mentioned that according to taxonomy, we are part of the animal kingdom. I was in my early teens and was completely dumbfounded by his anger and ignorance on the matter. It's the first memory I have of religious beliefs going against understood science, and the superstition that science has an "anti-religious agenda".

(05-09-2014 10:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Which immediately begs the question : do they (or we) get to make up Reality because it's what we want ?

If they want.
05-09-2014, 08:45 PM
First of all, I would tell them.

It doesn't matter what I want you Ard Tard!

Why do you ard tards keep thinking that the universe and life and everything in it is dictated and influenced by what human beings "Want".

I don't care what you or I myself think. It does not matter what anyone's faith is or what faith, or jesus or god or thoughts or feelings or any of that stupid fucking shit says.

Reality is governed by itself and itself only. What is true is what is true. If the science says we have a common ancestor with chimps. Also, btw chimps are apes and not monkeys. Than we will need to see a lot of evidence to show that. Which we have massive amounts of. We have transitional fossil records, the human genome project and other DNA research, on top of that. It has been for over 130 years been tested, repeated and observed that evolution exists and we have smoking gun evidence for the connection between many of the ancestor of different species. Including our own with the ancestor that made both branches that would eventually lead to humans and the other branch that would lead to chimps.

To deny evolution means that you have no idea what evolution actually is, and that you have never actually studied it or seen what the evidence they have is.

Then I would give them the definition between what a theory is and what a scientific theory is.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
06-09-2014, 11:56 AM
I want people to stop being so ignorant about evolution.
I want people to tell me the truth about life.
I don't want lies or cute and often not so cute genocidal stories written thousands of years ago by tribal idiots.
Lies only serve to entertain us in the realm of fantasy.
Lying to yourself is even worse.
You are free to examine evidence and come to a conclusion about it's content.
You are not free to make up shit and call it a fact.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-09-2014, 02:15 PM
I want bacon to be a health food, so...

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
07-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I recently had a conversation with a theist and she got really hung up on what she "wanted to believe". She basically told me that she was aware that theism is guided by at least some bias, which I was a little surprised to hear out loud. Her theory is that the conclusion that is drawn is largely due to the motives and desires of the person investigating religion.

She hadn't even considered that their might be a position that did not require a desire one way or the other. When I told her that I consider my desires on the matter irrelevant, she found it difficult to believe me. She had constructed a straw man position which she believes the Atheist position to be, which is that our disbelief is mainly due to our private desire that there be no god. I had to repeat myself a few times and I don't think it ever really sank in.

The fact that she admitted bias in the context of her religious choice has me thinking about "belief in belief". I have noticed that most Atheists are interested in facts or reality more than they are in comfort or utility of belief. I am interested in anyone's take on this, What do we think about believing for any other reasons than that religion seems to be true?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx