can someone explain this to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 03:40 AM
RE: can someone explain this to me
(05-09-2014 12:16 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You can't change what you're decented from.. To even ask that is them demonstrating they're preferring delusion.

this. and the common ancestor thing somebody else said.

I didn't *want* to be related to some of my cousins, but I can't really help who my family is!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 07:33 AM
(07-09-2014 01:11 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I recently had a conversation with a theist and she got really hung up on what she "wanted to believe". She basically told me that she was aware that theism is guided by at least some bias, which I was a little surprised to hear out loud. Her theory is that the conclusion that is drawn is largely due to the motives and desires of the person investigating religion.

She hadn't even considered that their might be a position that did not require a desire one way or the other. When I told her that I consider my desires on the matter irrelevant, she found it difficult to believe me. She had constructed a straw man position which she believes the Atheist position to be, which is that our disbelief is mainly due to our private desire that there be no god. I had to repeat myself a few times and I don't think it ever really sank in.

The fact that she admitted bias in the context of her religious choice has me thinking about "belief in belief". I have noticed that most Atheists are interested in facts or reality more than they are in comfort or utility of belief. I am interested in anyone's take on this, What do we think about believing for any other reasons than that religion seems to be true?

I only believe in the conclusion that facts lead to, I honestly don't care what it leads to as long as its well supported,
even if you don't like those conclusions you can't change it to something just to comfort yourself
08-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Response to Samuel Wilberforce, who questioned: "whether he was descended from an ape on his grandmother's side or his grandfather's"

"I would rather be descended from an ape than from a man of ability who misused his authority to stifle free discussions of the truth."
- Thomas Henry Huxley, Oxford Evolution Debates (1860 - paraphrased)

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
08-09-2014, 12:38 AM
(05-09-2014 10:17 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Humans have this thing where they don't want to acknowledge their status as "mere" animals. Being "descended from monkeys" makes it hard to ignore the fact that we are animals.

Plus, it wasn't dirt. It was magical dirt.

Ah, like some types of underwear?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
08-09-2014, 07:00 AM
My wife is a theist that has issues accepting the fact we may have descended from an ape like ancestor. She has no problem accepting the fact we share a common ancestor. It is just semantics, but for some reason it sits better with her.