car advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 10:39 PM
RE: car advice
Pretty much what has been already said is good advice. The most important thing is to find someone you can trust to do the service for you.

Yes, your car (most newer vehicles) will tell you when it thinks it needs an oil change, but it's wise to keep up on routine maintenance whether or not it's saying so. 3,000 to 4,000 miles between changes is what I'd recommend, even if the book says more.

Standard suggested for tire rotation is around 6,000 miles. So about every other oil change. What we do at our shop is actually look at the tires, and check the tread depth. We don't just do a traditional tire rotation, we'll put them in whatever position is best for them, and if they're in the best position possible we'll save you the money and not do it even if you asked for one.

Whether or not a filter needs to be changed can be somewhat subjective, and on most vehicles they are relatively easy to get to and change yourself. The two you should be worried about are the fuel air filter (under the hood) and the cabin filter (usually behind or right under the glovebox on most cars we work on). The next time you're in for service you should ask them to show you where they are and how to get to them. Just use your best judgement, if they look dirty then change them or have them changed. If they look okay or only slightly dirty you can wait.

If you can't find it in your owner's manual, the dealership should be able to print you off a list of scheduled maintenance for your vehicle according to your mileage. A lot of cars will be required to have a 5 year inspection to maintain your powertrain warranty, so be aware of that. They should notify you when it's up for it's inspection but you'd be surprised at how many people ignore it or aren't aware of it and miss their window to have it done and lose their warranty only to have something break down six months later and have to pay out the wazoo to get it fixed when it could have been covered.

Most times the quicky lube places will do an adequate job, but for the short time I've been working at a shop I've heard many stories and had many cars come in to fix problems caused by the small mistakes made there. One small mistake on an oil change (not getting the drain plug tightened correctly, or too tight....things like that) can cause much bigger problems down the road if not discovered before it's too late.

So like I said, the most important thing is to find a shop you trust with a good reputation and good qualified mechanics. The Wal Mart lube shop is not one of those. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
31-10-2014, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 05:51 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(31-10-2014 06:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't really like the dealer, but I picked up a slightly used 2013 on the last day of the year when they really wanted it gone. It had been driven by their CEO and had low mileage and was like brand new. So I was in a perfect bargaining position to buy when they needed to lose inventory and it was a one year old used car...and they didn't want to see me walk (which I did and they came running after me Smile ) Anyway, I don't trust those guys as far as I can throw them. I just used an opportunity.

Nor should you trust them. I worked at a dealership for years, and those places not only attract liars and confidence men, but they also have a way of destroying good people. I saw them go through dozens of sales people, and only one of them managed to not only stay employed but also maintain his integrity. As a general rule however, dealerships are owned by assholes and they hire assholes, because those assholes make the boss money.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-10-2014, 11:05 PM
(31-10-2014 10:55 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As a general rule however, dealerships are owned by assholes and they hire assholes, because those assholes make the boss money.

Agreed. Funny because I work at a dealership now. But ours is a small one, been the hometown dealership for going on half a century, still owned by the son of the man who started it way back when so a ton of our customers have been coming here forever. We of course do quite a bit of business with the other dealerships in town when it comes to parts, or working on diagnosing a car that they don't have the equipment to do, and the stories I hear about the bigger dealerships can only be summed up by what you just said.

So yes, if you don't like or trust the dealership...don't take your car there unless you have to for warranty work or recalls.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
01-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Ok, well that all sounds simple enough. Thanks for all the advice, I'll make an appointment next week.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-11-2014, 05:51 AM
(01-11-2014 05:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, well that all sounds simple enough. Thanks for all the advice, I'll make an appointment next week.

Thumbsup

Alternatively, you could get a Pinto as a replacement.

All your problems will just go up in smoke.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
01-11-2014, 05:58 AM
As a general rule, you should get your tires rotated and balanced every time you change your oil. Filters changed every other oil change. They aren't expensive and it makes the car run better.

Here is the number one thing to remember. Do NOT...and I mean NEVER get lifetime warranty brake pads. You want to cheapest, SOFTEST pads. Your brakes apply pressure to the rotor (the large round disk in the center of the wheel) squeezing them to slow the vehicle down. The friction created needs to be transferred somewhere, so you want the pads to take the wear, not the rotors. The rotors can warp and that's when you feel the steering wheel shudder when you apply the brakes to slow down.
Cheap pads should cost no more than $20 per set. Rotors cost $100 a piece. Brake pads are meant to be worn down. Lifetime brake pads only wears down the rotors. Sometimes you can save the rotors by having them turned (put on a lathe that grinds the rotors evenly) . That's still expensive so make sure you insist on the cheapest and softest pads.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
01-11-2014, 07:08 AM
(01-11-2014 05:51 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, well that all sounds simple enough. Thanks for all the advice, I'll make an appointment next week.

Thumbsup

Alternatively, you could get a Pinto as a replacement.

All your problems will just go up in smoke.

That's allright, I already have airbags that shoot shrapnel upon impact...Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
01-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Oil change includes a new filter. You should get your tires rotated every 2 oil changes. That will help them last longer.

Finding an honest mechanic is not always an easy thing to do but they are out there. But, at 15,000 miles you need an oil change and really not much else. If they tell you need anything beyond that (except maybe your tires rotated), leave and go elsewhere.

Do you have a Costco near you? They do some of this stuff. Big places like that are less likely to be dishonest because a) the reputational hit to them is worse than any extra money they would make and b) the people working there have zero upside for screwing with you, so why bother?

Same is true with some of the bigger chains (although some are franchised and the local owner does have an incentive to rip you off).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Oil changes and tire rotation are being over-sold here. Both of those are old wisdom, once true but no longer.

Modern oils, especially synthetic, last longer in modern engines. If you are not using synthetic motor oil, you should.
With synthetic oil, changes need only be done every 15,000 - 20,000 miles.

Tire rotation is yet another old-school idea. Much more important are balancing and alignment. In fact, rotating tires will even out tire wear and actually mask alignment problems.
Many radial tires are now directional by design, so you would never rotate them except back-to-front/front-to-back. But even non-directional radial tires become directional after use,
so should never be swapped to the other side.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-11-2014, 09:01 AM
(01-11-2014 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oil changes and tire rotation are being over-sold here. Both of those are old wisdom, once true but no longer.

Modern oils, especially synthetic, last longer in modern engines. If you are not using synthetic motor oil, you should.
With synthetic oil, changes need only be done every 15,000 - 20,000 miles.

Tire rotation is yet another old-school idea. Much more important are balancing and alignment. In fact, rotating tires will even out tire wear and actually mask alignment problems.
Many radial tires are now directional by design, so you would never rotate them except back-to-front/front-to-back. But even non-directional radial tires become directional after use,
so should never be swapped to the other side.

Synthetic oil is good. I don't know about 15-20,000 miles, but at least twice as long as standard oil. But it is also twice as expensive, so the benefits tend to even out in the end. Of course the trend is starting to gear towards newer vehicles requiring synthetic anyway.

~ Umberto Eco