car advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM
RE: car advice
(01-11-2014 12:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 11:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How do you do that? I mean not how do you measure the tread but how do you know where to put them? Do you label them and line them up to see which one should go where?

Well, most often a car owner who doesn't care that much about maintaining their vehicle (most car owners that I see, I admit I used to be one of them) isn't going to spend money to correct problems contributing to abnormal tread wear, even if we tell them where the problem is. To give them the longest life out of their tires you note which tire is wearing most, and transfer the best tire to that location, and the rest on down the line accordingly. That way you even out the tread wear throughout the life of the tires and minimize the chance of a blowout due to one tire constantly being worn down more than the others.

Agreed 100%. A lot of people let it go until it's a problem. Being preventative is rule #1 on keeping things in tip top shape.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
01-11-2014, 12:40 PM
(01-11-2014 12:37 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Agreed 100%. A lot of people let it go until it's a problem. Being preventative is rule #1 on keeping things in tip top shape.

Well, that's what I want to do, keep it in shape. I hate when things go wrong with cars since I know nothing about them. My best bet is to be preventative.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-11-2014, 01:06 PM
(01-11-2014 12:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:37 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Agreed 100%. A lot of people let it go until it's a problem. Being preventative is rule #1 on keeping things in tip top shape.

Well, that's what I want to do, keep it in shape. I hate when things go wrong with cars since I know nothing about them. My best bet is to be preventative.

That is the best way to look at it Smile Now if only everyone else did that.

If you ever want to see the horror stories of what happens to cars that aren't maintained... check out http://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop but I'm warning you, you'll be horrified that some of those people share the same roads as you and I.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
01-11-2014, 01:23 PM
(01-11-2014 12:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 11:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How do you do that? I mean not how do you measure the tread but how do you know where to put them? Do you label them and line them up to see which one should go where?

To give them the longest life out of their tires you note which tire is wearing most, and transfer the best tire to that location, and the rest on down the line accordingly.

Makes sense.

#sigh
01-11-2014, 01:24 PM
(01-11-2014 01:06 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, that's what I want to do, keep it in shape. I hate when things go wrong with cars since I know nothing about them. My best bet is to be preventative.

That is the best way to look at it Smile Now if only everyone else did that.

If you ever want to see the horror stories of what happens to cars that aren't maintained... check out http://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop but I'm warning you, you'll be horrified that some of those people share the same roads as you and I.

Oh, I am guilty of having driven abominable cars. I had to drive what I could get my fingers on, there were times when I was dirt poor and lucky to have anything that actually moved forward.

Definitely not my choice though.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-11-2014, 02:49 PM
(01-11-2014 09:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oil changes and tire rotation are being over-sold here. Both of those are old wisdom, once true but no longer.

Modern oils, especially synthetic, last longer in modern engines. If you are not using synthetic motor oil, you should.
With synthetic oil, changes need only be done every 15,000 - 20,000 miles.

Tire rotation is yet another old-school idea. Much more important are balancing and alignment. In fact, rotating tires will even out tire wear and actually mask alignment problems.
Many radial tires are now directional by design, so you would never rotate them except back-to-front/front-to-back. But even non-directional radial tires become directional after use,
so should never be swapped to the other side.

Synthetic oil is good. I don't know about 15-20,000 miles, but at least twice as long as standard oil. But it is also twice as expensive, so the benefits tend to even out in the end. Of course the trend is starting to gear towards newer vehicles requiring synthetic anyway.

My car's book says to use synthetic oil and it only needs to be changed once every 10k. On a serious note, if I waited that long, I'd only be getting my car serviced once every couple years.

I go once a year, usually just before summer.

Husband insists on having an alignment each year when I go for service.

I think they also rotate the tires as part of their oil change thing.

The rest is just refilling fluids and checking the breaks -- other stuff I guess. My car tells me when my tire pressure is low and a lot of stuff I don't want to know about. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi Dom

Your car will have a manual that describes recommended maintenance at set mileage. Always follow what the manufacturer says to use in terms of oil/fluids and such.

At a 15K service you should not have anything major and most things will be for inspection (belts, filters, hoses, bakes, sensors etc). You may need a new air filter by now. That isn't a major expense for most cars. If you ride your brakes your pads could be worn but if you do not you should be good for many more miles.

Conventional oil should be change every 3K to 5K miles. Do not let them sell you synthetic oil if you do not need it. You can go longer between changes but you can end up with other issues if you engine is designed for regular oil.

An oil change should always include changing the oil and filter. The Jiffy Lube type places are geared to sell up. They always try to get you to buy other things. I will use them for basic oil changes, wipers and air filters when I being lazy and nothing else.

Do not let them sell you a transmission flush and fill. Depending on your car the manufacturer may actually recommend against it. Doing so when not called for can result in failure of the transmission and that is very costly.

I rotate my tires every 5K to 10K. How and where you drive will determine how often it should be done. Your car manual should have a recommended distance.

Feel free to PM if you want any further input or have any questions.Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
(01-11-2014 02:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Synthetic oil is good. I don't know about 15-20,000 miles, but at least twice as long as standard oil. But it is also twice as expensive, so the benefits tend to even out in the end. Of course the trend is starting to gear towards newer vehicles requiring synthetic anyway.

My car's book says to use synthetic oil and it only needs to be changed once every 10k. On a serious note, if I waited that long, I'd only be getting my car serviced once every couple years.

The rest is just refilling fluids and checking the breaks -- other stuff I guess. My car tells me when my tire pressure is low and a lot of stuff I don't want to know about. Tongue

In a few years they're just gonna drive themselves to the service station and leave a note when they should be back.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-11-2014, 02:57 PM
(01-11-2014 02:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 02:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My car's book says to use synthetic oil and it only needs to be changed once every 10k. On a serious note, if I waited that long, I'd only be getting my car serviced once every couple years.

In a few years they're just gonna drive themselves to the service station and leave a note when they should be back.

As long as mine stops and gets groceries on the way home, I am good with that. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
(01-11-2014 02:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 02:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In a few years they're just gonna drive themselves to the service station and leave a note when they should be back.

As long as mine stops and gets groceries on the way home, I am good with that. Tongue

I think the engineers could make that happen. Thumbsup

#sigh