car advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: car advice
(01-11-2014 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 02:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  As long as mine stops and gets groceries on the way home, I am good with that. Tongue

I think the engineers could make that happen. Thumbsup

They need to step it up. I ain't gettin' any younger, ya know.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 05:03 PM
If I synched mine with my cell it would text message me regularly ongoing diagnosis of what parts are in what shape.

I haven't synched it, I somehow don't like that anyone can find out where I am all the time. Not that I go anyplace I shouldn't, but it's just creepy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-11-2014, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 06:41 PM by Cathym112.)
(01-11-2014 12:18 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:58 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  As a general rule, you should get your tires rotated and balanced every time you change your oil. Filters changed every other oil change. They aren't expensive and it makes the car run better.

Here is the number one thing to remember. Do NOT...and I mean NEVER get lifetime warranty brake pads. You want to cheapest, SOFTEST pads. Your brakes apply pressure to the rotor (the large round disk in the center of the wheel) squeezing them to slow the vehicle down. The friction created needs to be transferred somewhere, so you want the pads to take the wear, not the rotors. The rotors can warp and that's when you feel the steering wheel shudder when you apply the brakes to slow down.
Cheap pads should cost no more than $20 per set. Rotors cost $100 a piece. Brake pads are meant to be worn down. Lifetime brake pads only wears down the rotors. Sometimes you can save the rotors by having them turned (put on a lathe that grinds the rotors evenly) . That's still expensive so make sure you insist on the cheapest and softest pads.

I would much rather take the extra wear on my rotors by using GOOD pads since your life may depend on your stopping point at some point in time. I've had cheap shitty organic pads and when push came to shove on stopping they did not stop nearly as well. Yes, for purposes of being a cheap bastard you can get cheap shitty pads. But for stopping, going with a sportier, metallic compound, or ceramic pads, you will stop much better. When someone says "get the cheapest pads possible" I translate that to, "I want to have the least stopping power possible because I feel like being cheap as shit. I could care less about my safety."

Considering how long pads last and how long rotors last, it is not going to be of major concern for quite some time. Not to mention if you take into consideration what people CHARGE to replace pads, cheap organic pads do not last as long, and you'll be replacing them more often than if you just went with good pads in the first place.

The pads people buy for trackdays last well but the rotor takes a heavy hit, but they're intended to stop you incredibly well, compared to fading quick. I'm not saying someone needs to go buy a set of "Yellowstuff" pads for daily driving, but there are a few things I will not skimp on when it comes to cars:

- Pads
- Hydraulics (I don't skimp on maintenance for my brake system)
- Tires (traction is as good as your tread, this means stopping power as well, if you can't grip the asphalt, doesn't matter how good your pads are, lockup and sliding is no bueno)
- Belts/harnesses (If they are damaged on a used vehicle I replace them, and I don't get anything cheap for trackdays)

So please, don't encourage people to get shitty pads. Sometimes a couple of feet can make all the difference in an accident.

Soft pads doesn't mean it will have a negative effect on stopping power. In fact, before 1995, you couldn't get lifetime warranty break pads.

Wear on your rotors means uneven braking. the softest pads are what you want., not ceramic.

Let's start by saying that ceramic brake pads have a place in the automotive industry. They were designed to be a low-dust, noise-free brake pad. They came into popularity after the discontinued use of asbestos-based brake pads. At that time, semi-metallic pads exhibited problems with higher noise and dust levels.
Ceramic Brake Pads were never designed to be a performance brake pad! Some companies are marketing their higher-priced, ceramic pads to the consumer as a performance pad. Ceramic brake pads typically have lower friction coefficients, and act as an insulator - raising rotor temperatures in cast-iron disc systems. When you have a vehicle that has persistent braking problems- the last thing you want to do is install components that have a LOWER friction coefficient and that RAISE effective operating temperatures! this can cause ' Warped Rotors "

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
01-11-2014, 05:32 PM
(01-11-2014 12:18 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:58 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  As a general rule, you should get your tires rotated and balanced every time you change your oil. Filters changed every other oil change. They aren't expensive and it makes the car run better.

Here is the number one thing to remember. Do NOT...and I mean NEVER get lifetime warranty brake pads. You want to cheapest, SOFTEST pads. Your brakes apply pressure to the rotor (the large round disk in the center of the wheel) squeezing them to slow the vehicle down. The friction created needs to be transferred somewhere, so you want the pads to take the wear, not the rotors. The rotors can warp and that's when you feel the steering wheel shudder when you apply the brakes to slow down.
Cheap pads should cost no more than $20 per set. Rotors cost $100 a piece. Brake pads are meant to be worn down. Lifetime brake pads only wears down the rotors. Sometimes you can save the rotors by having them turned (put on a lathe that grinds the rotors evenly) . That's still expensive so make sure you insist on the cheapest and softest pads.

I would much rather take the extra wear on my rotors by using GOOD pads since your life may depend on your stopping point at some point in time. I've had cheap shitty organic pads and when push came to shove on stopping they did not stop nearly as well. Yes, for purposes of being a cheap bastard you can get cheap shitty pads. But for stopping, going with a sportier, metallic compound, or ceramic pads, you will stop much better. When someone says "get the cheapest pads possible" I translate that to, "I want to have the least stopping power possible because I feel like being cheap as shit. I could care less about my safety."

Considering how long pads last and how long rotors last, it is not going to be of major concern for quite some time. Not to mention if you take into consideration what people CHARGE to replace pads, cheap organic pads do not last as long, and you'll be replacing them more often than if you just went with good pads in the first place.

The pads people buy for trackdays last well but the rotor takes a heavy hit, but they're intended to stop you incredibly well, compared to fading quick. I'm not saying someone needs to go buy a set of "Yellowstuff" pads for daily driving, but there are a few things I will not skimp on when it comes to cars:

- Pads
- Hydraulics (I don't skimp on maintenance for my brake system)
- Tires (traction is as good as your tread, this means stopping power as well, if you can't grip the asphalt, doesn't matter how good your pads are, lockup and sliding is no bueno)
- Belts/harnesses (If they are damaged on a used vehicle I replace them, and I don't get anything cheap for trackdays)

So please, don't encourage people to get shitty pads. Sometimes a couple of feet can make all the difference in an accident.

You don't really seem to know a lot about cars. Or how a braking system works.

I said get the softest pads. Which just so happen to always be the cheapest. Cheap doesn't mean crappy product.

Using ceramic pads doesn't dissipate the heat generated by the friction and actually warps your rotors, affecting your ability to brake effectively.

Metallic pads are even worse. They actually shave a small amount of metal off the rotor since the pad is harder than the rotor.

The most important part of your brakes is your rotors. Even if you have no brake pads and the caliper is the only thing squeezing the rotor, you will still stop. If you have warn the rotors down to where the caliper cannot squeeze it (because it's too thin), your car won't stop at all.

For someone accusing someone of giving bad advice - yours is really shitty.

Ps - the costs to replace the pads every year pales in comparison to changing 4 rotors every two.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
01-11-2014, 05:45 PM
(01-11-2014 05:32 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You don't really seem to know a lot about cars. Or how a braking system works.

He's currently restoring a Lamborghini. Drinking Beverage

Popcorn

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Dom - another option. find a local community college that has an ASE certification courses and let the students work on your car.

It's free labor (just gotta pay for the parts) and the students have the supervision of the instructor. He's not selling you anything so he won't lie to you about what your car needs.

01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
(01-11-2014 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:32 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  You don't really seem to know a lot about cars. Or how a braking system works.

After having restored a number of Porsches. You're gonna want to back off here CathyM before you get embarrassed.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
(01-11-2014 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Popcorn

Then WHY would he suggest lifetime warranty brake pads and actually advocate for sacrificing the rotors over the pads?!?

Also - I wasn't talking about performance pads. I doubt Dom is racing at the track.

01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
(01-11-2014 05:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  He's currently restoring a Lamborghini. Drinking Beverage

After having restored a number of Porsches. You're gonna want to back off here CathyM before you get embarrassed.

Why would I be embarrassed? I never claimed to be an expert but I sure as shit know that advocating for the sacrifice of the rotors over the pads is the dumbest thing Log could have suggested!

01-11-2014, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 05:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-11-2014 05:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  After having restored a number of Porsches. You're gonna want to back off here CathyM before you get embarrassed.

Why would I be embarrassed? I never claimed to be an expert but I sure as shit know that advocating for the sacrifice of the rotors over the pads is the dumbest thing Log could have suggested!

Why is that? Rotors are even easier to replace than pads and they cost about the same.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus