car advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: car advice
(01-11-2014 05:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Why would I be embarrassed? I never claimed to be an expert but I sure as shit know that advocating for the sacrifice of the rotors over the pads is the dumbest thing Log could have suggested!

Why is that? Rotors are even easier to replace than pads and they cost about the same.

Yup. You're already there, not much more effort to replace rotors, we charge the same labor. Plus they don't make parts like they used to, nine times out of ten the rotors are too thin to be turned anyway. We do if we can.

If the manufacturer (depending on the manufacturer, of course) gives a lifetime guarantee and knows they gotta replace them for free, they're not gonna put out something that will wear out fast.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 06:10 PM
(01-11-2014 05:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:52 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Why would I be embarrassed? I never claimed to be an expert but I sure as shit know that advocating for the sacrifice of the rotors over the pads is the dumbest thing Log could have suggested!

Why is that? Rotors are even easier to replace than pads and they cost about the same.

Uh no. Replacing the rotors is much more expensive. Replacing the pads is easy. Wheel comes off, caliper comes off, c-clamp to push the brake piston back, pads changed out with a little grease on the back of the pads, caliper goes back on and boom. Done. Cost me less than $50 to change my brakes on my POS when I was in high school.

I changed my brakes all the time before the system became computerized and I didn't wanna fuck up the sensors. Damn over engineered cars.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
01-11-2014, 06:17 PM
(01-11-2014 06:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 05:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why is that? Rotors are even easier to replace than pads and they cost about the same.

Yup. You're already there, not much more effort to replace rotors, we charge the same labor. Plus they don't make parts like they used to, nine times out of ten the rotors are too thin to be turned anyway. We do if we can.

If the manufacturer (depending on the manufacturer, of course) gives a lifetime guarantee and knows they gotta replace them for free, they're not gonna put out something that will wear out fast.

Which manufacturer gives a lifetime warranty on rotors? I've never heard of that and am curious to know.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
(01-11-2014 01:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 12:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  To give them the longest life out of their tires you note which tire is wearing most, and transfer the best tire to that location, and the rest on down the line accordingly.

Makes sense.

Except for directionality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Dom is not racing her car. She's not taking it to the track, or dynoing her car to see how much horsepower she has at the rear wheels.

01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
When I was in high school, I had a 1997 Z28 camero that I tore down the LT1 engine, bore out the headers and turned my engine into a 383 stroker. Dynoed at 583 hp at the rear wheels. Repainted it pearl white with ghost stripes. Those were the days...*sigh*

01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
(01-11-2014 06:17 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Which manufacturer gives a lifetime warranty on rotors? I've never heard of that and am curious to know.

Mopar

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-11-2014, 06:49 PM
(01-11-2014 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 01:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Makes sense.

Another reason to have a shop you trust. Just recently had a customer that had his directional tires traditionally rotated at Walmart. Nobody was the wiser until we caught it.

~ Umberto Eco
01-11-2014, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 12:26 AM by Logisch.)
(01-11-2014 06:23 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Dom is not racing her car. She's not taking it to the track, or dynoing her car to see how much horsepower she has at the rear wheels.

My comment even said I wasn't saying everyone needed to go buy a set of "Yellowstuff" pads for their car, my point is that you are better off getting pads that are intended to stop the best you can for your money, even at the sacrifice of your rotors, than getting really soft crappy pads that don't stop as well. Not all soft compounds are terrible, but overall, most of the cheap organic pads aren't intended for anything aside from "bang for buck." If you have brands that you prefer that are inexpensive and have good quality material then post them so Dom can refer to those. I've used Mintex a few times, and Textar seems to be okay. And yes... your brakes will still stop without a pad, but that results in some... uhhhh... pretty ugly and terrifying damage.

(random google image, but this is what happens when people let them go for too long metal to metal lol) - "I've got a weird grinding noise....." - makes me cringe whenever I see photos of rotors that people let go that long... and these people share the roads with us, ugh. Happens more often than I'd like to hear about.
[Image: brake+rotor1347755845.jpg]

I've had cheap pads glaze from extremely hard braking and had several instances where I wish I had gone for better pads for that very reason. I didn't mention "lifetime pads", I mentioned quality pads. I don't really care about warranties, I care about quality, and warranty doesn't always mean quality (which I think was your point, which I can agree with).

Rotors are a wear item. They are made to be a wear item. I'm fully aware that Dom isn't out to go run the 24 hours of Le Mans (although maybe we could chip in and do a TTA 24 hours of LeMons car eh?), my point stands that you should get good material and good quality pads. I don't understand why you're so against replacing them aside from cost.

I've seen cheap shitty pads that have separated from the backing plate and I've seen terrible quality pads break apart. While it's not a common occurrence, still, when I hit my brakes and I NEED them, I want to use my brakes with confidence. I understand you're making the point of mitigating wear to expensive wear parts of the car, I get that, and longterm that helps people save a little money.

Yes, rotors are expensive to replace (compared to pads), but unless you're running track quality pads, you're not going to be replacing your rotors all the time. Most the time if you have plenty of life left on the rotor (enough material left) you can have them turned (and should anyway if you're putting on new pads), slap new pads on it, and off you go.

Girlyman is also correct that rotors aren't generally super expensive. Usually around $50 a rotor, unless you're driving something like a benz or 911 and they're closer to $100 a pop. That sucks, but it is what it is. Small price to pay for a wear item that generally will last you several sets of pads. With a good set of pads, you can usually squeeze 2-3 sets of decent pads on a rotor before it's time to replace them. For most people that's a hell of a long time, and most people don't even keep their cars that long.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
02-11-2014, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 12:11 AM by Logisch.)
(01-11-2014 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 01:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Makes sense.

Unless you have a car with staggered tire sizes, then all you can do is swap sides once in a while lol. Most commuter cars aren't like that though.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.