car advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 10:38 AM
RE: car advice
(02-11-2014 10:27 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 10:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  You can also choose a bunch of stuff from the internal computer, like auto lights (on, off, dimming etc) auto window wipers that sense the strength of the rain, backup alert (love this for parking) and I don't know what all, I haven't explored it all yet.

The thing is that, if you are synched, it is kinda public where you are at any given time. And it is always possible to locate you asap - I guess that's useful if you drive over a cliff. Tongue

That is some pretty awesome stuff, not gonna lie. The new creature comforts and bells and whistles that are on cars nowadays really blows my mind. Although with all those micro controllers and little ECUs I would not want to chase down wiring gremlins if things went wrong. Still, that's really cool.

Even when Ford and all law enforcement agencies and whoever else handles data knows your number and everything that's on your phone and what has been done on your phone? When people can hack into this info? When some of the caveats regarding privacy contain the phrase that Ford can do with this info whatever it pleases?

Just too much big brother for me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2014, 10:43 AM
(02-11-2014 10:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 10:27 AM)Logisch Wrote:  That is some pretty awesome stuff, not gonna lie. The new creature comforts and bells and whistles that are on cars nowadays really blows my mind. Although with all those micro controllers and little ECUs I would not want to chase down wiring gremlins if things went wrong. Still, that's really cool.

Even when Ford and all law enforcement agencies and whoever else handles data knows your number and everything that's on your phone and what has been done on your phone? When people can hack into this info? When some of the caveats regarding privacy contain the phrase that Ford can do with this info whatever it pleases?

Just too much big brother for me.

I can totally understand that aspect. If we've learned anything from recent times in data being compromised, it's that nothing is necessarily safe from prying eyes. Safe to say that if I had a GPS unit that tracked my activity on my cars or motorcycle, I'd be in seriously big trouble LOL.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
05-11-2014, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 02:54 PM by Cathym112.)
(02-11-2014 09:30 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 03:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  This conversation brings up an interesting point.

I suppose the use of the car makes a difference.

This is a 2013 Ford Edge I plan to be driving for a long, long time. It's a 4 wheel drive.

There is a short stretch of bumpy dirt and gravel I drive slowly (hence the 4 wheel drive, this is not cleared of snow). Other than that it's all country roads, no potholes, well kept roads, freeway and minimal city driving. No looking for parking, easy driving. The occasional but regular heavy breaking for wildlife (mostly deer).

Periodically I haul heavy loads in it. It is just barely big enough for it.

So, the brakes don't get used much, no street lights, no traffic, but when they are used it is usually to a full stop from high speed.

The other question I have is whether it is really that advantageous to synch my cell. So far I see no reason to do so, but there I am driving a high tech car without using any of the features except for the back up alarm - love that.

Do you mean using it as far as bluetooth and things like that? I'm not quite sure what you mean by synching it? It is nice to be able to go hands free and talk through the stereo system (and a lot of cars support that now), but I try not to do that kind of stuff since I don't like distractions. However, that's far better than gabbing on the phone itself. I always thought it would be really nice to be able to synchronize my phone with the GPS or something and allow it to transfer my maps so I could export trips to google maps. My phone lets me do that stuff, but not with cars. I usually just turn the app on and then save the file to my computer when I get home.

What kind of features does it allow with that?

Getting into all the new hightech features that you can use with your cell phone is not something I actively keep up on, I'm good with technical stuff, but get me into the new fancy dashes and all the bells and whistles that the new cars offer and I'm a cave man. I drive cars that are as old as or older than myself Laughat

(02-11-2014 07:39 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Meh. I guess I'm just remembering the obscene amount of money I poured into my Audi. I had moved away from home for college and didn't have my tools or garage anymore so I sold the camero. I went to school in buffalo and then Ithaca where a car with 583 at the rear wheels would get me no where. So I got an Audi with all wheel drive. Rotors $100 a piece! And I replaced them twice in 5 years. My brake pads were too hard and wore down my rotors so badly they couldn't be turned. So over engineered that even if I went home to work on the car - I would be lost with all the sensors.

Thank you for the much more light hearted response, Cathym112. I've always enjoyed our interactions on the forum and none of my posts prior were intended to rile you up or be a dick to you. I'm just a stickler for the borderline between well performing setups and cost. I was legitimately thinking last night as I went to bed, "Is a conversation about brakes on an atheist forum seriously going to be the conversation where we end up harboring resentment towards one another? That is seriously going to bum me the fuck out." Laughat

I completely feel your pain with the cost of premium brand name (factory) rotors. When I did the brakes on my 911 before I sold it I ended up doing all 4 rotors, new pads and replaced the lines and opted to go with braided SS lines. The entire cost was pretty close to $600 when I was done (and that's replacing it myself, I don't want to know what it would cost at a dealer).

It's becoming common that many of the high performance cars are putting more and more aggressive pads on them from the factory because everyone wants to outdo the other guy, so each year the cars end up with more power, and stopping distance becomes a thing as well. You probably won't see that with econobox cars, but stuff like Audi, Porsche, Benz, etc... But it does mean less life out of your rotors, and yeah, it does suck replacing that stuff when it's $100 a rotor or more.

When my friend bought his GTR used (I don't recall how many miles he already had on it), he decided he wanted to do track days with it, went for a few HPDE days with an instructor, took it to autocross a few times, drove it for a while and then it came time to do his rotors and brakes. He told me when it was all said and done, with new drilled/slotted rotors and performance pads for his car, the bill was $4,000. I nearly shit my pants. I'm not sure what sort of unobtanium they make those out of, but hoooooolyyyyy shit. The rotors for my current restoration are close to $300 each. Doesn't make me happy, but it is what it is.

Oh sorry! I didn't mean to sound like I was miffed. These fertility drugs on I'm on make me have wicked mood swings and feel all crazy.

I always forget that you can't hear my voice in the words. I'm abrupt but I'm usually never upset as an FYI. And of course we could always duel it out by getting into a gunfight like Stevil thinks all gunowners do when we are mad. Rambo style. Pew pew pew...gahgahgah

Now what did I walk into this room for? Oh yeah. Skittles. Carry on!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
05-11-2014, 03:14 PM
(02-11-2014 03:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  This conversation brings up an interesting point.

I suppose the use of the car makes a difference.

This is a 2013 Ford Edge I plan to be driving for a long, long time. It's a 4 wheel drive.

There is a short stretch of bumpy dirt and gravel I drive slowly (hence the 4 wheel drive, this is not cleared of snow). Other than that it's all country roads, no potholes, well kept roads, freeway and minimal city driving. No looking for parking, easy driving. The occasional but regular heavy breaking for wildlife (mostly deer).

Periodically I haul heavy loads in it. It is just barely big enough for it.

So, the brakes don't get used much, no street lights, no traffic, but when they are used it is usually to a full stop from high speed.

The other question I have is whether it is really that advantageous to synch my cell. So far I see no reason to do so, but there I am driving a high tech car without using any of the features except for the back up alarm - love that.

You know, I was going to suggest that you call up The Car Guys, "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers" on npr but one of the guys, Tom Magliozzi, just died. Loved that show and I just wanted to take a second to mention him. His laugh was so infectious. I never thought talking about cars could be so funny.

Carry on....

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post