car advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 05:23 PM
car advice
Ok, I know nothing about cars. Zero, zilch, nothing. Hubby always made sure my cars were in good working order and I never had to worry about it.

So now I am a target for unscrupulous mechanics and just need some simple advice before I take my car in for maintenance.

It's relatively new, I don't drive it all that much, it just hit 15,000 miles. It tells me it wants an oil change.

So what I need is a list of items I should have done along with the oil change. Like, an oil filter.

Should I have other filters replaced? Which? Tires rotated? And I have no idea what else.

There is nothing wrong with it that I can tell, it runs very nicely. I want to do as many inexpensive maintenance things as I can, I hate when things are done at the last moment.

So, anyone here who can give me a list, and is there anything I should look out for?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 06:22 PM
RE: car advice
(31-10-2014 05:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, I know nothing about cars. Zero, zilch, nothing. Hubby always made sure my cars were in good working order and I never had to worry about it.

So now I am a target for unscrupulous mechanics and just need some simple advice before I take my car in for maintenance.

It's relatively new, I don't drive it all that much, it just hit 15,000 miles. It tells me it wants an oil change.

So what I need is a list of items I should have done along with the oil change. Like, an oil filter.

Should I have other filters replaced? Which? Tires rotated? And I have no idea what else.

There is nothing wrong with it that I can tell, it runs very nicely. I want to do as many inexpensive maintenance things as I can, I hate when things are done at the last moment.

So, anyone here who can give me a list, and is there anything I should look out for?

Did you buy it from a car dealer? Are you taking it to that dealer for service?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2014, 06:25 PM
In the US?
Jiffy Lube type places will do an oil and filter change and check all other fluids for you too. At 15,000mi. you won't need a transmission service or much anything else really.
Ask them to check tire pressure for you too.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
31-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Most places I go to do a general overall inspection when they do an oil change. If they say any of your filters need changed, I say go for it. It isn't a very expensive add on I don't think. If they do an inspection, and suggest a pricey repair, take the estimate and get a second opinion. Without mentioning the previously suggested repair. That way you'll find out if it's really needed, and if so who will do it cheapest.

I say yes to getting your tires rotated. I do it every other oil change. Just good for your tires in general. Each one gets its own wear and tear depending on where it is on the car, how you drive, what kind of drive you have, etc. (rear wheel, front wheel, four wheel drive). Rotating them keeps them from wearing down too fast in one spot. Rotating helps them wear more gradually.

It's getting cold, have them check your battery. Always a good idea to get those replaced before cold weather if they are starting to loose a little power. The cold weather really helps sap them if they are running low to begin with. If they suggest replacing the battery, do it at an auto parts store. Most places like Advanced Auto or Auto Zone (if you have them in your area) will let you buy the battery on site, switch it out for free, and give you reimbursement for your old battery toward the new one.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
31-10-2014, 06:37 PM
(31-10-2014 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 05:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, I know nothing about cars. Zero, zilch, nothing. Hubby always made sure my cars were in good working order and I never had to worry about it.

Did you buy it from a car dealer? Are you taking it to that dealer for service?

I did buy from a dealer. I was going to take it to a mechanic in town here though, hubby used to take the cars there. He always handed them a detailed list of what he wanted though.

I don't really like the dealer, but I picked up a slightly used 2013 on the last day of the year when they really wanted it gone. It had been driven by their CEO and had low mileage and was like brand new. So I was in a perfect bargaining position to buy when they needed to lose inventory and it was a one year old used car...and they didn't want to see me walk (which I did and they came running after me Smile ) Anyway, I don't trust those guys as far as I can throw them. I just used an opportunity.

The local guy seems a lot more trustworthy to me.

And Jiffy lube is not conveniently located, too far away.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-10-2014, 06:42 PM
(31-10-2014 06:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you buy it from a car dealer? Are you taking it to that dealer for service?

I did buy from a dealer. I was going to take it to a mechanic in town here though, hubby used to take the cars there. He always handed them a detailed list of what he wanted though.

I don't really like the dealer, but I picked up a slightly used 2013 on the last day of the year when they really wanted it gone. It had been driven by their CEO and had low mileage and was like brand new. So I was in a perfect bargaining position to buy when they needed to lose inventory and it was a one year old used car...and they didn't want to see me walk (which I did and they came running after me Smile ) Anyway, I don't trust those guys as far as I can throw them. I just used an opportunity.

The local guy seems a lot more trustworthy to me.

And Jiffy lube is not conveniently located, too far away.

OK, go to your local guy since your husband had a history there. At 15,000 miles, all you probably need is oil and a filter, but ask him to check to make sure the car is ready and safe for winter - tires, fluids, windshield wipers, lights, etc.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2014, 07:45 PM
in the owners manual there is a maintenance schedule and gives a general guideline when those items should be done.

I have a good dealer with competitve pricing that does quality work. If I go on Tuesdays I can get a free manicure, lol.

most oil companies want you to change every 3000 miles, many cars say 7000 miles. I change every 5000 because its easier to remember.

check reviews on yelp.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
31-10-2014, 08:46 PM
1) Sell it.
2) Buy a motorbike.
3) Ask me again for advice because than I might be able to actually help you.
31-10-2014, 09:17 PM
(31-10-2014 08:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  1) Sell it.
2) Buy a motorbike.
3) Ask me again for advice because than I might be able to actually help you.
4)Ignore this since Muffsy's motorbike went missing.

Added one.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
31-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Anywho...

I go to a place here called Kwik Kar. They are all over in this area.

Get your oil changed and tires rotated. If they ask about replacing the air filter (if you have that type) ask to see the one from your car - many are really simple to replace and cheaper to get at an auto parts store and do it yourself. Where you drive/live makes a big difference in how often you need to change one.

You have a newer car. Mine will tell me what % is left on my oil - as in how long before I need a change. I use synthetic oil and it's said to be good for 6K miles but I get more than that if I go by what my car tells me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post