catering questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2012, 06:13 AM
RE: catering questions
(10-11-2012 05:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  You need to do this research locally, we are spread all over the world here and different cultures look at food differently.

You could specialize and do buffet only. That way you could set it up yourself and leave, come back later and pick up YOUR (plain white so they fit any theme) dishes. That's convenient for everyone.

I think you do need to think about hiring people as you go, it's the way to grow.

Buffets work for parties of all types and would work for business lunches too. Otherwise, people will want to order sandwiches and stuff and you have to wrap them and have containers for soup and whatnot.

Maybe you should include a diet section - low cal, low carb, vegetarian, gluten free, what have you. People on diets always are unhappy at food events.

What about the department of health? Are there requirements?

How about a service for working moms - you do all the prep work for dinner and deliver it, they can just throw it in the oven or micro or whatever and serve actual dinners to the family.
Buffets were my initial idea, just was in a loss for words heh. Thanks.
I did think about special foods, yes. A low calorie and a vegeterian option as well as food that contains no milk for starters. I think those are the three main concerns for the biggest groups of people.
Didn't think about low carb and gluten free, but the idea isn't bad! I will consider that! Thanks

About requirements and department of health, I have to research that. Right now, I am running ideas and starting research (competetors/whole sale/offers/etc) the department of health will be a part of this research.

After my first "bigger" business idea failed a few years ago, I want to take my time this time. I want to look things up properly and give my save a trial period, where I will partly cater for family events and friends for free. If that runs smooth I will make the next step. But I think trying it out is the first logical step to do.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Buffet only is a good route to take. You'd still be best serving hot foods, but it only takes a couple people with a buffet.

I LOVE Doms idea of having ready made meals for delivery. Everything prepped to go in the oven. There's a few services like that I've heard of, and honestly, if I were in the city I'd probably use them myself on the occasion. I love the idea of ordering in a home cooked meal, and I think it's a very marketable idea.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 01:56 PM
I like the idea of preparing ready meals for warming up at home, too, but honestly, I doubt that it would sell around here.
There is a restaurant here, they sell food that tastes like grandma made it and it is overrun during rushours, and they do have a take away.
In general, when you are at home, you cook yourself. That is how it works here, the mentallity (spelling, eh).
Apart from that, I can't cook Romanian (apart from Pulenta), so it will never taste like home to those people.

BUT I know they will like my food, because everyone, who ever ate my food, loved it. Not bragging, just stating a fact.

12-11-2012, 06:14 AM
To answer the first 3 questions with a contra-question...

Are you asking this while I'm stoned or not? Because that makes two completely different answers...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-11-2012, 06:46 AM
(10-11-2012 01:56 PM)Leela Wrote:  I like the idea of preparing ready meals for warming up at home, too, but honestly, I doubt that it would sell around here.
There is a restaurant here, they sell food that tastes like grandma made it and it is overrun during rushours, and they do have a take away.
In general, when you are at home, you cook yourself. That is how it works here, the mentallity (spelling, eh).
Apart from that, I can't cook Romanian (apart from Pulenta), so it will never taste like home to those people.

BUT I know they will like my food, because everyone, who ever ate my food, loved it. Not bragging, just stating a fact.

If the home cooked meals are specialized - like a weight loss diet etc, and it gets delivered every day - I bet it would work given there are enough people who want to diet.

Always think of an angle that is not available yet but that will be popular...

Here, if you want a diet delivered, it comes either frozen or in "add water and microwave" form and is processed food. Much of it tastes like cardboard.

If you subscribe to a diet, you don't need to worry about it and you need no other food in the house. So it's a lot easier to stick to...

You need to do local research. You need to scope out the market directly. Going by what you think they want or anyone else thinks they want is not safe for you.

Also, the difference between the local restaurant selling finished meals and you selling prepared meals is the same as buying pizza out of the oven versus buying unbaked pizza you throw in the oven when you are ready to eat. Both have their place, and both exist here even in small towns.

And don't forget to scope out the legal matters, whatever autority supervises food in your country, and the financial angles, like what percentage of income will be tax money, where you can buy fresh food at lower prices, restaurant supplies etc. etc. Restaurant supply stores can be a HUGE savings..

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-11-2012, 05:50 AM
(12-11-2012 06:14 AM)Filox Wrote:  To answer the first 3 questions with a contra-question...

Are you asking this while I'm stoned or not? Because that makes two completely different answers...

Big Grin
fine with both Wink
There are weddings where you are drunk and stoned and whatnot, and there are company celabrations where you are clear Big Grin