centenarians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 09:01 AM
centenarians
So how would you like to live 100 years plus?

You are ready to live in this body?

[Image: misao-okawa_zpsdjs5bld8.jpg]

This lady is 117 years old. You think she is having any fun?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 09:28 AM by onlinebiker.)
RE: centenarians
Breathing air beats trying to breath dirt.....

Edit to add ---

Old Glenn Hicks used to deer hunt on the property next to mine.

At 103 he was the second oldest registered hunter in Michigan.

I suspect the older guy didn't actually hunt - just registered.

Glenn still loved it...

Side note -- Glenn was killed by the minister at the church up the road. He came to visit Glenn - who fell, broke his hip - and died 2 weeks later...... I'd ask him if he killed anybody lately....(he was really a dick)

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Basically everybody that you knew back in the heyday of your youth would be dead. Like everybody. All those memories of events where you would be the only person alive to remember any of it. It's kind of lonely sounding really.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-03-2015, 09:32 AM
She doesn't look like she would be physically able to kill herself if she wanted to.
That's too long for me.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-03-2015, 09:39 AM
(04-03-2015 09:25 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Breathing air beats trying to breath dirt.....

Well, hopefully no one would bury you alive...Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-03-2015, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 09:55 AM by Mr. Boston.)
My great-grandmother was 101 when she died in 1996. She was sharp as a tack right up to the end and had some AWESOME stories, including writing lurid letters under a pseudonym to random servicemen in WWI! She confessed to having a crush on the Dunkin' Donuts, "Time to make the donuts,"-guy and she was an avid watcher of Magnum PI because she thought Tom Selleck had nice legs. She died in her sleep, in her own bed. If I could be guaranteed to keep my mental faculties I'd be happy to have a long life, at whatever pace my body allows. If dementia or Alzheimer's get me though, I don't want to drag it out into a long extended period of dotage before reaching the end.
[+] 5 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-03-2015, 11:19 AM
(04-03-2015 09:51 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  My great-grandmother was 101 when she died in 1996. She was sharp as a tack right up to the end and had some AWESOME stories, including writing lurid letters under a pseudonym to random servicemen in WWI! She confessed to having a crush on the Dunkin' Donuts, "Time to make the donuts,"-guy and she was an avid watcher of Magnum PI because she thought Tom Selleck had nice legs. She died in her sleep, in her own bed. If I could be guaranteed to keep my mental faculties I'd be happy to have a long life, at whatever pace my body allows. If dementia or Alzheimer's get me though, I don't want to drag it out into a long extended period of dotage before reaching the end.

It depends on your body too, not just your mind. Many elderly are riddled with pain - it hurts when your parts wear out. That's why they talk about their illnesses triumphantly - because overcoming an illness when you are elderly is a huge feat compared to younger years. Falling becomes likely as one loses sense of balance, and a fall resulting in a simple fracture can easily kill you. You may need help going to the bathroom, or poop in bed permanently. Your trembling arms may not aim at your mouth properly and you need help eating. A lot of bodily functions, like swallowing, that used to be automatic, now have to be thought through and implemented. It just doesn't happen by itself. I am not saying everyone will have all of the above, but it is highly unlikely that anyone gets away without any of the above. And there are a lot more physical challenges. Basically, most elderly people spend all day trying to eat, drink, pee, poop, sleep and stay clean. Everything takes forever.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-03-2015, 11:29 AM
(04-03-2015 11:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  It depends on your body too, not just your mind. Many elderly are riddled with pain - it hurts when your parts wear out. That's why they talk about their illnesses triumphantly - because overcoming an illness when you are elderly is a huge feat compared to younger years. Falling becomes likely as one loses sense of balance, and a fall resulting in a simple fracture can easily kill you. You may need help going to the bathroom, or poop in bed permanently. Your trembling arms may not aim at your mouth properly and you need help eating. A lot of bodily functions, like swallowing, that used to be automatic, now have to be thought through and implemented. It just doesn't happen by itself. I am not saying everyone will have all of the above, but it is highly unlikely that anyone gets away without any of the above. And there are a lot more physical challenges. Basically, most elderly people spend all day trying to eat, drink, pee, poop, sleep and stay clean. Everything takes forever.

Oh I don't disagree, and I've seen enough relatives go down this path to know how heartbreaking it can be. My basic point though was that I'm more concerned about my potential mental decline than the physical one. One or the other, or both, may be inevitable of course.
04-03-2015, 11:50 AM
(04-03-2015 09:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  So how would you like to live 100 years plus?

You are ready to live in this body?

[Image: misao-okawa_zpsdjs5bld8.jpg]

This lady is 117 years old. You think she is having any fun?

Can't answer that question. It's just a photograph. Maybe yesterday her chair was mounted on a surfboard. Who knows?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
04-03-2015, 11:54 AM
My grandmother who lived to 89 (certainly not 117) loved to drive with me. I like speed and she couldn't get enough. She didn't walk so well in her last few years but that didn't stop her from having fun.
I think it might have been her that taught me the value of existence.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post