charity:water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 09:54 PM
charity:water
Hello everyone! I have started a fundraiser from charity:water! Please visit the page here: http://mycharitywater.org/water17. 100% of your donations funds the water projects in the fields! Please visit this page for more information about the charity. Thank you for your support and help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2012, 12:31 AM
RE: charity:water
I don't usually approve first posts that are just links to something. Mostly because it's very likely you won't stick around after this to contribute. But the site itself could spark a discussion.

This is clearly a one man (you) made charity and website. So my question is, how does anyone know that the donations will go to anything and not just directly into your pocket? I could make a similar site in an hour ask for "donations towards a breast cancer cure," put up a few stock photos of a charity, and make off with 500 dollars.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
18-07-2012, 05:10 AM
It's really a one man made site? Did you look at the link to charity:water at the top left? This is an organization that Seth chose for his charity endeavor. The site that we were linked to was this person's personal goal site but it exists within the larger actual site.

It's kind of odd to ask people from random internet forums to donate, but I'm not sure about the program itsself being fake.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
18-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Even with his page being a part of a bigger site and a real organization, do we know for sure that all the money is going to help someone? I'm sorry, I just never trust anyone on Internet that ask me some money, no matter how good the thing is. Stupid, but safe.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-07-2012, 05:25 AM
The person making the offer is obviously being a shady person, I'm just making the statement that the organization itsself is probably not fake. If I were planning to donate currently and decided to donate to this site I'd do it through the site not him, but I'm just making sure people don't all the sudden distrust the actual charity.

It's likely enough that it's someone who wanted to help and didn't know what to do, but this is the internet so generally being careful is best. Though I'd say this is more likely to reach the charity since it's linked to the charity than say, someone coming to your door to collect for a charity.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
18-07-2012, 05:52 AM
It may be best to unnaproved this thread for now. The user has only spent 4 minutes online and has asked for donations that we can't be 100% about. Has anyone sent them a pm yet?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
18-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Hello everyone. I understand your doubt and skepticism. I think its very important to be skeptic towards charities, especially since its your money and you want to make sure you only give money to charities that are authentic. I chose this one mainly beacuse I heard it from The Thinking Atheist Podcast. I also did some research to see if anyone has reported the charity being a scam. That is why I chose this charity, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to post to the forum to see if anyone was interested. Thanks for considering though, again, I understand if you are doubtful Smile
18-07-2012, 01:02 PM
WTF is up with the FT here? Charity spam is spam. I get like fucking twenty bucks a day and everybody wants it. Trying to lay some guilt trip on me. Spin 'em.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-07-2012, 02:40 PM
(18-07-2012 01:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  WTF is up with the FT here? Charity spam is spam. I get like fucking twenty bucks a day and everybody wants it. Trying to lay some guilt trip on me. Spin 'em.

How DARE you question my approval methods!

I was going to disapprove, but I realized how nonexistent the charity element is in this forum. Are the Christians correct in saying that helping the needy out of fear of eternal punishment is still better than not helping them at all? Does anyone here give to a charity?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
18-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I haven't given for quite a long time, but I've also not been in the black. I have done activism for suffering people, and most of my charity did go for trans stuff not food. The problem with food charities is that the only one i had enough evidence to support was a food pantry that was brought up as an alternative to the red cross who didn't help the LGBT victims of Katrina. Charity water is definitely promoting something I feel is excessively important. Plenty of charities have trodded around the horrible bleak water that kills millions and shown it as proof that you should send their charity money. Water would be greatly helpful. The first I'll look into when I have money again though will be responsible charity the other one Seth mentioned. I'm not a fan of giving my money away in this fashion without seeing a serious reason to.